Google cannot figure out where I live

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Google cannot figure out where I live

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-11-17, 17:24

I am not a fan of Google and am not a member. But I do search using Google and I do use Google Maps. A while back when Google did their major revision to Maps, I opted to use the Light version because the new one did not play well on my box. I still use Light to this day.

For many years I would occasionally search Maps for my home so I could see the satellite photo. When I would put in my address it came up with my correct location. Then a few years ago they moved my home to the other end of the street. Now I will admit that my street is somewhat unusual as one end is in one town and the other end is in another town so the homes on that road are in two different towns. What complicates this is the house numbers start with 1 at both ends. However, they are different towns and different zip codes. From time to time my home would get moved back to its actual location but then it would move to the wrong end of the street.

On Maps Light it seems as if Google had finally nailed my house to its proper location. For some reason I got curious today and decided to go to the full version of Google Maps and look for my home. To my surprise, my home was once again in the wrong location. I was even more curious so I clicked on my Maps Light link and asked for my address. To my surprise, on Light it was in the proper location.

Now if I lived in the wilds of Mongolia I might understand how Google cannot figure out where my house is. But I live about 40 miles from New York City in a house that my family built in 1961.

In the end all the great technology developments have not altered one overriding incontrovertible fact about computers which applies to this day- GIGO. And AI will not prevent this. If learning eliminated false information, a lot of us would be genius already.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Google cannot figure out where I live

Unread post by doofy » 2017-11-17, 20:01

Er, Google maps might have a few probs since your street is a bit odd.

But Google themselves know precisely where you live. Because you keep telling them.

Sylvermoon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Sylvermoon » 2017-11-18, 04:19

Well.... I can actually go you one better.

Since my only "broadband" is satellite, and since depending on what's going on with the provider, I'm not always on the same beam, google variously believes I live in San Bernardino, Phoenix, or Colorado Springs.

I find it pretty amusing. I don't ever correct the location.... suits me that google can't find me, even though I'm perfectly happy to search using their engine.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-11-18, 16:37

I have done my best to give Google as little information about myself as possible. I find the most important thing to do in this respect is not to register as a Google user.

The Map problem isn;t an issue for me because I still know how to find my way home without GPS. But some of the devices out there rely on Googlemaps and it when they are trying to find us they get sent to the wrong town.

Just as an FYI, imo, the best part of Google search functions is one most people never use, Google Scholar. Over the years I think I have spent almost as much time there as doing "normal" searches.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-11-18, 19:55

TwoTankAmin wrote:I find the most important thing to do in this respect is not to register as a Google user.
That's a start, yes.

But you use google products: maps, search, scholar, youtube, whatever, and google logs everything you do. While you are on a google page, their cookie and google analytics is watching you.

On loads of other pages, a google cookie is watching you, and on loads more google analytics is reporting back your every click. You can rest assured that google has a very comprehensive picture of you. At the moment it is just buried in some vast database somewhere to be used for targeted advertising, but anytime they want, they can access a full bio of you.

It took me no time at all to get a potted bio of you, inc full name, age, town. If I can get that in minutes, think how comprehensive a bio google has amassed by watching you for 15 years.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-18, 22:31

Your ISP provider can amass a dossier too.Not only google that logs etc.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1