question

General discussion and chat (archived)
lolsomany

question

Unread post by lolsomany » 2017-11-15, 17:20

my question is simple, will palemoon forking the new "quantum" mozilla engine or will stick with old but gold firefox version with gecko engine?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: question

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-15, 18:38

As far as I know, the plan is to continue using Goanna (the project's fork of the Gecko engine) for the foreseeable future.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2017-11-15, 21:05

I'm not an expert on how Quantum works, so here's a question: Does Quantum contain some weird DRM components or code that would stunt the user's ability to customize the browser?

If so, then the answer would be a resounding NO. This is the mindset that Mozilla has been pushing for the past few years, and Pale Moon has been strongly against it.

If not, then...maybe?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-11-16, 04:14

Our long-term plans for Pale Moon involve (potentially) moving our browser to the UXP (Unified XUL Platform) that is currently being worked on alongside the browser. This will at its earliest be somewhere in 2018, considering this would involve a large amount of work in adaptation and testing to move the browser application across to the new platform.
This platform will continue to carry the Goanna engine, like the current browser, albeit with many updates and rearchitecturing.
Source: http://www.palemoon.org/roadmap.shtml

So yeah, they'll be sticking with Goanna for the foreseeable future.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

lolsomany

Unread post by lolsomany » 2017-11-16, 13:19

thanks for the information. i hope goanna can be optimized better than its competitor.