your opinion

General discussion and chat (archived)
nat_smart

your opinion

Unread post by nat_smart » 2017-11-15, 06:53

hi
i want to know your opinion after use firefox 57 quantum and current palemoon version?
how you need palemoon has to improve? for fight with firefox? :think:

thank's

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: your opinion

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-15, 07:23

Pale Moon's philosophy/driver/whatever-you-want-to-call-it isn't one of direct competition, so "fighting with Firefox" isn't a point on the agenda.

Instead of "Trying to be better than X" which would inevitably focus on what X has and does, it's "Doing the best we can within our own goals, despite X" which focuses on overall quality and response to matters, not necessarily pushing development into a direction with focus on X.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2017-11-16, 10:10

Well, my opinion is that I think Firefox 57/Quantum's performance is noticeably better than before and that it runs smoothly, but that Mozilla continues to go into a direction where they are obsoleting themselves, both in terms of browser identity (trying to be another Chrome when there is already a Chrome) and "politics" (taking money to make their main competitor's search engine the default instead of spearheading a trend that leads to more diversity, not less). Firefox has been "streamlined" (simplified to where it feels dumbed down) a lot, and Quantum didn't revert this.

I don't feel that Pale Moon needs to "fight" with Firefox. I expect that more people will eventually look for alternatives when they want real alternatives with greater customizability and "freedom". Those people will never be the majority, because the majority doesn't think about these things and they just want a browser that works sufficiently enough to not get in the way, just like a toaster. People also love to use what everyone else is using, so a niche browser (everything that isn't Chrome and Firefox, and Safari on OSX/iOS) will probably not gain two digit market share.

Pale Moon seems to be on the right track, so I feel that just continuing doing what its dev team has been doing is all that's needed. If you run after the leader, like Mozilla seems to be doing, you'll forever be the beta. Better to lead a pack of your own, even if it's small, to put it "wolfily". ;)

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2017-11-16, 17:57

I only installed FF57 for a quick check on a not so fast USB stick and ... yes, it opens some sites and media on youtube a bit faster. The other good thing I noticed is, they subsumed some more of the options now under General options, which isn't a bad idea, though it's a long options page now.

Also they finally deprecated Australis, but the new Proton design looks like a facelift for Win10 and I personally don't like it so much. I know the default all-in-one url+searchbar can be re-separated in Options, but making it one bar by default isn't a good idea in my view. What I really dislike is the new "books" symbol that holds booksmarks, history, ... in a sub-menu now. Maybe with a web extension this can be undone. - Organizing the (very few) bookmarks worked slow, sometimes laggy, but that might be caused by the slower portable version.

There would be more to say about the add-ons, tracking protection, but yeah tl;dr. From my first impression Mozilla at least tried to start something new with Quantum and FF 57 is a bit faster now, but a few bits more speed isn't everything to me and for quite a lot of other details and reasons I'll stay with PM.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-11-19, 02:58

nat_smart wrote: how you need palemoon has to improve? for fight with firefox? :think:
I think that the users of Pale Moon just say :thumbdown: to Firefox, some of them are newcomers and some others give the boot long time ago.

Pale Moon just need to iron more the "bugs" made by webpages and adapt the small things that are unimplemented (example: The rich content cut and paste used in sites like Facebook).

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-19, 12:40

Upon reading reviews etc of ff57 across the web opinions seemed varied with pros and cons mixed in for good measure.
Maybe the PM team should braace themselves for further ff refugees.?
The exodus could be coming rather soon. 8-)
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-11-19, 16:50

Fight for Firefox? Fighting for a company (Mozilla) who has abandoned their previous target group to embrace now with Firefox 57 fully the most least skilled users like Google/Microsoft/Apple does too?

Don't think that would be a good idea - Pale Moon should just stay Pale Moon. That is the best what can be done :D And my personal opinion over 57 - It is an insult for all people who loved rich UI customization not only done over CSS and who wanted to have their own bar/button layout - all of that which Mozilla took away now.