Classic add-ons will finally stop working in Firefox as FF57 gets released today

General discussion and chat (archived)
FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Classic add-ons will finally stop working in Firefox as FF57 gets released today

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-11-14, 05:24

Their downfall starts today, I guess...

Classic add-ons will finally stop working in Firefox as FF57 gets released today (or later depending on your current time zone)...
https://thenextweb.com/tech/2017/11/13/ ... am-chrome/

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Classic add-ons will finally stop working in Firefox as FF57 gets released today

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-14, 07:22

Whoops. I thought it wasn't until Nov. 17th for some reason. I put the upgrade freeze back on Firefox. Maybe I will just completely uninstall.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Classic add-ons will finally stop working in Firefox as FF57 gets released today

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-11-14, 13:00

When it comes to 64 bit linux Firefox and extensions, I've only got one extension that is classified as Legacy and that one is, "Hide the Tab Bar with One Tab". I'm going to allow 64 bit linux Firefox 57 onto the experimental linux hard drive I use in my backup tower computer and "see how it goes". If I don't like Firefox 57, I'll uninstall it and then I'll install 64 bit linux 52 ESR versions on that linux hard drive. All of my other linux hard drives, I'm not going to install Firefox 57. I can wait since Firefox is my third browser which I seldom use.

As for my 64 bit Windows 7 hard drives, all of those hard drives are installed with 32 bit Firefox 52.4.1 ESR versions on them at this time and I don't have to worry about the my lone Legacy add-on (the one above) until May or June of 2018 when the Firefox 52 ESR versions reach EOL (end of life) and that is when my lone Legacy add-on will no longer function.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-11-14, 19:28

The moment where Mozilla can finally embrace all their simple users they ever wanted. Hope they enjoy their honeymoon and their beloved rivalry with Google Chrome, Safari, Edge whatever for the most basic least skilled customization hating target user group :mrgreen:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-14, 22:25

And to top it off, they sent out a promotional e-mail to *everyone with a Firefox Account* with the following text. Believe as much or as little of this as you want of the pretentious "we tell you what your experience is when you use this" tone (I'd take it with a few grains of salt because there's a bunch of things in there that are simply not true or extremely situational).
The new Firefox. Fast for good.
Today we’re thrilled to introduce you to our brand new browser — Firefox Quantum.

What you’ll notice first is that the new Firefox is blazing fast. In fact, you’ll enjoy speeds up to twice as fast as a year ago. It’s also more powerful. We’ve rebuilt Firefox from the ground up to focus on how you use the Web today to watch, listen, create and play without limits. We’re excited to deliver a browser that feels completely different — modern, quick and efficient. We think you’ll agree: It’s a quantum leap forward in how you’ll experience the internet.

When you use Firefox, you’re also contributing to a movement to ensure the internet remains a global public resource, open and accessible to all. As an independent, not-for-profit organization, we’ve been committed since 2003 to building products that put you in control of your online life and advancing open technology and public policy that promote a healthier internet. We put you at the center of everything we do.

On behalf of Mozilla's global community, we're proud to introduce you to the new Firefox. Fast for good.

Chris Beard
CEO, Mozilla

P.S. If you have any questions, we're always here to help.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-14, 23:49

Ok, so I see a few things wrong with his statement. Let's clarify shall we?
to watch, listen, create and play without limits
Except the ones we put on or took away. ;)
products that put you in control of your online life
Is this guy serious? Can he really say this with a straight face? :wtf:
We put you at the center of everything we do
Bwaaaahahahah. This guy is on some serious good stuff. :lol:
We think you’ll agree: It’s a quantum leap forward in how you’ll experience the internet.
Yea, it's a quantum leap alright, but in the wrong direction. :sick:

All I can say is thank you Moonchild. :thumbup:

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-11-15, 00:36

Moz hating is boring.

For sure, I'm guilty of it myself sometimes. But then I'm just a punter looking for a piece of software that best fits his needs.

There is obviously a serious back story here that I am not a party to. Nor do I want to be.

"Browser wars" should be an irrelevant aside that we punters indulge in from time to time.

The fact that the PM dev amuses himself by engaging with it just makes him appear petty.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-15, 02:43

doofy wrote:The fact that the PM dev amuses himself by engaging with it just makes him appear petty.
All I did was relay what landed in my inbox. You can do with it what you want -- all I know is that there are at least a few things in there I don't agree with and I'm entitled to have an opinion about it and the tone it has. How others react to it isn't anything you can let reflect on "the PM dev" because you're making connections that simply aren't there.

As "boring" as "Mozilla hating" is to you, it's even more "boring" or rather "exhausting" to see people be eager to call me "petty" for something I didn't do anything for, about or with. What's "petty" about posting what Chris Beard apparently saw fit to send (unsolicited) to my private inbox? Nothing.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2017-11-15, 04:17

I installed it today. It renders noticeably faster, though by how I much I can't really say. Forgot to switch the default search engine to DuckDuckGo and was once more amazed at how many mystery connections are established when you use Google as a search engine (since that is now the default in Firefox, I wonder how much money changed hands here). I only use a handful of extensions, none of them legacy. I feel a lot more comfortable using Pale Moon, however.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-15, 05:46

doofy wrote:Moz hating is boring.
Never! It never gets old.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-11-15, 09:28

doofy wrote:Moz hating is boring
This is more of a well earned dislike. They have been spitting in the last couple of years again and again on power users, people with no liberal approved opinion's and on all the people who wanted more uniqueness instead of more Chrome similarities.

The Mozilla of the past earns respect and admiration. The one of 2017 and onwards not at all. The past Mozilla actually liked REAL diversity, Mozilla today stands for conformity and discrimination of their old target usergroup.

They have been becoming a toxic developer who is sacrificing everything to be most attractive to the most Narrow-minded users who disagree with everything more complex and feature rich.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2017-11-15, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

h0w4rd
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by h0w4rd » 2017-11-15, 09:33

What will happen now?
Where can I get those extensions which were only on the firefox site?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-15, 09:46

h0w4rd wrote:What will happen now?
Where can I get those extensions which were only on the firefox site?
Follow these directions here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=16526&p=127040#p127040

Let me know how it worked for you.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-16, 14:09

I lapped up all the pre-release hype and frenzy of v57 and decided to install from my linux repository just to have a gander.It is faster (slightly) than previous versions but i found it ram hungry but i would account this for the multi-process container nature of the browser.

On a 2gb computer i think users would feel the pinch a bit.
Palemoon is still my primary browser for the customisations it offers and the new firefox does not supply this anymore.No full themes and just personas.
Cookie extensions dont work in firefox like they do in palemoon.I use cookie exterminator in palemoon and this works like i expect it to which is delete the cookies upon tab closure.Doesnt function like that in firefox 57.

Only thing in firefox 57 which seems to have improved is slight speed.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-11-16, 17:19

Well, I'm on my experimental linux hard drive and I've just downloaded and configured linux Firefox 57 as best I could since customization within Firefox is getting less and less. I've always removed Pocket since I never used it, but that can't be done any more since it is now integrated in the Navigation/Address bar. And since I can't hide the lone tab in Firefox, the browser shows a tremendous amount of......WASTED SPACE...... to the right of the tab.

Firefox 57 is fast and that is it. But since Mozilla upper management has done away with Legacy add-ons, the browser is severely crippled and not worth having (for me). I'm going to uninstall linux Firefox 57 and replace it with (until June of 2018) linux Firefox 52.5.0. ESR. All I can say, the upper management at Mozilla hasn't got a lick of common sense. Basically, when I look at linux Firefox 57, it looks like it was cobbled together using the Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome browsers.

I've enclosed two attachments showing linux Firefox 57 and linux Pale Moon 27.6.1 to show how much customization one can do right out of the box with both browsers. The winner hands down is Pale Moon. You'll have to left click on each attachment to make each attachment larger.
Attachments
LFF57 1366.png
LPM2761 1366.png
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-11-19, 03:06

We’ve rebuilt Firefox from the ground up to focus on how you use the Web today to watch, listen, create and play without limits.
We need to rephrase this (or like the memes say: B*tch please!):
We’ve rebuilt Firefox (as a better clone of Chrome) from the ground up to focus on how you use the Web today (and send us all your activity to Google overlords) to watch (to you tube videos with ads), listen (to you tube videos with ads), create (you tube videos and we add the ads) and play (games with ads from Google of course) without limits (of Google ads).

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-11-19, 03:55

I've removed Firefox 57 from the rest of my four linux hard drives and replaced it with Firefox 52.5.0 ESR so with Firefox being my third browser, Firefox will be okay until June of 2018. I have a hunch when January of 2018 arrives, I'm going to guess Firefox's browser market share will start heading south again.