I upgraded from FF 55 something to PaleMoon today

General discussion and chat (archived)
Sylvermoon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

I upgraded from FF 55 something to PaleMoon today

Unread post by Sylvermoon » 2017-11-09, 01:57

and I couldn't be happier. This is a quality browser from the word go. Now, I admit that I had to do a bunch of tweaks to make it look and act like the FF I've been using since it was in early beta (yeah.... that long....) - but you guys made that easy with the ability to use FF addons, and providing addons for PM that are really just the same as some I've used for a long time in FF: NoScript, Stylish, Chris Pederick's Web Developer, UBlock Origin....

I spent today reading, tweaking, making it look right. The info on the forum for how to tweak the look is invaluable. I'm a google search person - and that was easy enough to enable as default. I'm very very happy with the result.

Thank you for making my angst over the transition totally painless at bottom. Great job, great browser - and I'm a very happy camper tonight.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: I upgraded from FF 55 something to PaleMoon today

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-09, 12:10

Glad to hear it! Welcome to the forum and to Pale Moon! :D
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2017-11-09, 13:18

Welcome and enjoy good browsing ;)

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-11-10, 06:53

Rare to see a (former) Firefox user say Pale Moon is an upgrade. I remembered whenever Ghacks wrote about Pale Moon's new version release, there's always some comments affirming how Pale Moon is "obsolete", citing reasons like no Electrolysis support, no WebExt support and the worst reason of all, version number.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-11-10, 08:49

Welcome and have fun here

Sylvermoon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Sylvermoon » 2017-11-12, 02:34

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll try to start helping out a little as I get more familiar with everything PaleMoon.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-12, 04:53

Wanting to add my belated welcome, too... Wonderful to meet someone so happy with their choice! You'll find we have a real community here.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

xunil76
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by xunil76 » 2017-11-22, 21:19

hujan86 wrote:Rare to see a (former) Firefox user say Pale Moon is an upgrade. I remembered whenever Ghacks wrote about Pale Moon's new version release, there's always some comments affirming how Pale Moon is "obsolete", citing reasons like no Electrolysis support, no WebExt support and the worst reason of all, version number.
I guess I'm one of the rare few, then...I definitely consider PM an upgrade over the steaming pile that is Firefox these days. I haven't really liked Firefox ever since they introduced the "Australis" interface (a.k.a., the "Chromification" of Firefox), but due to the Classic Theme Restorer addon (among others), I was able to piecemeal it back together to look (mostly) like the FF of old, so I stuck with it a bit longer.

That all changed recently when I read that due to the lack of access that WebExt has over the customization of FF, it was going to make CTR & other addons completely useless, even if the addon creators decided to continue coding them in the first place, so I knew I had to finally bite the bullet and find an alternative.

The ability to change almost every aspect of the browser as I saw fit was absolutely the biggest reason that Firefox used to be a great browser, and now they're completely dumping their loyal followers (FF user since the single digit version numbers here) and becoming just another Chrome bandwagoner...just a GD shame....

And really? PM is obsolete because of a version number? Seriously? :roll:

I would use PM in its current form even if the version number was 0.0001 over the tragedy that is FF57+

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-11-23, 00:41

xunil76 wrote: And really? PM is obsolete because of a version number? Seriously? :roll:
Simple-minded people. They ignored, even when it's been pointed out, the fact that Goanna is actively being developed to comply with the latest web standards (Javascript, CSS, HTML5).
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-23, 03:16

It's exciting to see all the new folks coming over to PM and I see it only getting better. :thumbup:

My new avatar is dedicated to this phase out of FF to PM.
It makes me think of Moonchild holding a vapor of FF in his hands and watching it disappear. ;)
Or perhaps a stare down challenge. :mrgreen:

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-11, 10:58

Palemoon is definitely an upgrade for me.

I refresh a page and in Firefox ESR 32bit I wait a whole second more for it to render in comparison to PM 32bit, possibly more. PM is a speedbooster on my Dell Latitude 2.5ghz core2duo with Win 7 64bit.

Firefox ESR 64bit was unstable and was such a resource hog it caused audio issues and froze completely probably once per day. It took so long to clear (and froze the o/s whilst it was doing so) I had started holding the power button to crash the o/s over the last few days... as it was faster to hard reboot than wait. Bad practice I know, one of my reasons for migrating to PM.

PaleMoon is a revelation to me. I don't change EVER, I was a FF user through thick and thin. I have changed though and I'm not looking back.
Thehandyman1957 wrote: My new avatar is dedicated to this phase out of FF to PM.
Love the avatar.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2017-12-19, 08:13

I also upgraded from FF to Palemoon recently. Especially after the looking glass add-on fiasco.
I love the theming of Palemoon, I'm using the White Moon theme and it looks freaking SLICK! My only complaint is that the smooth scrolling isn't as smooth

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-19, 10:53

fatboy wrote:I also upgraded from FF to Palemoon recently. Especially after the looking glass add-on fiasco.
I love the theming of Palemoon, I'm using the White Moon theme and it looks freaking SLICK! My only complaint is that the smooth scrolling isn't as smooth
Post your hardware as perhaps there is something that can be resolved, suspecting another process using resources or a de-optimised bottlenecking GPU?. On my old core2duo in Win7 it is very smooth indeed. Don't post it in this thread, create a new post to deal with it.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2017-12-19, 10:58

Post your hardware as perhaps there is something that can be resolved, suspecting another process using resources or a de-optimised bottlenecking GPU?. On my old core2duo in Win7 it is very smooth indeed. Don't post it in this thread, create a new post to deal with it.
I am using the "use hardware acceleration" option and here is my hardware:

Code: Select all

Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           Display Server: N/A drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa) tty size: 106x31
I am using compton as compositor on Openbox
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-19, 13:35

fatboy wrote:
I am using the "use hardware acceleration" option and here is my hardware:

Code: Select all

Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           Display Server: N/A drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa) tty size: 106x31
I am using compton as compositor on Openbox
As I said - do not post it here! :) Open a thread of the same name and you may receive some technical help but not here. This is thread on upgrading to PM.

wlfit

Unread post by wlfit » 2017-12-24, 18:25

Welcome and I truly think PM is better. There are better themes, good legacy extentions, the browser is safer, etc.

Regarding smooth scrolling I heard someone complaining about it I know this isn't the thread but you can search in the forums and you can change for yourself ms of how smooth the scrolling is. For instance mouse scroll duration I had 155 ms to 220ms
I don't like smooth scrolling so I disabled but that setting was good for my use.
Hope you all enjoy PM as much as I do
If you have any issues with smooth scrolling open a new thread or send me a message don't post here :) Thanks!