What is your fav search engine?

General discussion and chat (archived)
faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

What is your fav search engine?

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2017-11-08, 17:28

I am learning to hate Google more and more because of its "lack of privacy" The issue is, as far as I can tell it is still the best one for search.... I also use it to help me spell some works :D My spelling on some words is so bad that a spell checker goes ??? :wtf: So I put it in a phase in Google and Google says "did you mean..." and walla, my spelling.

As for search engines I am checking out DuckDuckGo as they promise privacy.

What search engine do You like to use, and why.

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: What is your fav search engine?

Unread post by paulri » 2017-11-08, 18:26

I use DDG for searching text articles. For images, Google Images just can't be beat---not that its results are much different, but it easily allows me to filter for large pics only, and I installed a Google Image Search plugin from Mycroft that displays (large image) results from images.google.com without my having to click anything at all.

I know everyone says Google has a head start on search results, but since I've been using PM, and searching with DDG (there is some type of revenue that PM gets from DDG searches), I haven't seen much difference. When I just can't seem to get what I want with DDG, I will occasionally switch to Google or Bing, and most (if not all) of the time the results are no different. One thing I wish DDG had, though--displaying the search results one page at a time. Minor issue that I can live with.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-11-08, 18:33

DDG, and it's been almost 3 years since I sent a single search term to Google. If it does not appear in search results after a few tries, it does not exist for me and I can definitely live with it - searching is not my style!
While I agree Google's service may be the best, it does not matter for most of the search queries - almost all the search engines like DDG, Bing, Yahoo produce almost identical search results. One important feature where other search engines lack is reverse image lookup. For that, I use Yandex reverse image search, and while I did not compare it to Google, it always answered my query.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-11-08, 18:56

DDG, a little bit of revenue for PM, no tracking or sharing of personal information and I've not came across anything I can't find that would make me use another search engine. I haven't used google (on main puter) for about 2 years now and can honestly say I do not miss it. I do use google on my Nexus 2013 tablet though.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-11-08, 19:09

I do not use the Search Bar in any browser (Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Firefox). The Search Bar in all of the browsers I listed are in each browser's "Customize" window. If I have to do a search, the Google website is in a folder titled Google (amongst other things in the Google Folder) on my Bookmarks Toolbar so I use Google.

If anyone goes to "What my Pale Moon looks like" topic in the General Discussion forum, you can see my Bookmarks Toolbar and see my Google folder.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-11-08, 19:17

I only use DuckDuckGo

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-08, 20:08

duckduckgo and bing for me.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-11-08, 20:28

Google but I'm not completely trustful with any of them. There are posts on gHacks who accuse DuckDuckGo of privacy violating as bad or worse than Google. It's hard to trust any search engine completely today.

Marcus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Marcus » 2017-11-08, 23:44

DuckDuckGo is my main search engine.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-11-09, 00:54

Even if it wasn't privacy focused, I would still choose DuckDuckGo because the bangs feature is so useful. Want to search on youtube? Just do "!yt search terms" in the browser URL bar. Want to find a product on amazon? Simply "!a item I am looking for". You can easily bail out to a different search engine, with something like "!ecosia thing I am searching for". "!w" for wikipedia, "!wa" for Wolfram Alpha, etc. You can even search the Pale Moon forums with the "!palemoon" bang. The bangs aren't just for searching, you can also use them to quickly open a site without a search as well, such as doing "!yt" to open youtube to its homepage.

paulri wrote:One thing I wish DDG had, though--displaying the search results one page at a time. Minor issue that I can live with.
Did you try going to "https://duckduckgo.com/settings" and setting "Auto-Load" to off?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-09, 02:08

DDG and Startpage. And then of course there's Dog Pile if I need a broad brush of results. ;)

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-11-09, 02:54

Bing. Been using it since the days it was known by names MSN Search & Live Search. A competent engine in my opinion, have undergone a lot improvements over the years and I'm too used to it to change to another search engine.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-11-12, 04:05

I need to search for images a lot and sadly only the evil empire of Google has enough results and modes for search, so it's my first choice.