https://emojipedia.org/emoji-1.0/

Do you experience the same?

lyceus

Re: Boxed unicode characters.

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-11-05, 04:09

Latitude wrote:https://emojipedia.org/emoji-1.0/

Do you experience the same?
From the page:
Published in August 2015, this primarily includes emojis from Unicode 6.0, Unicode 6.1, and clarified which of the new pictographic characters from Unicode 7.0 and Unicode 8.0 would be recommended for emoji presentation.

Until this release, no major vendors supported emojis from Unicode 7.0 or above.
You need to download an unicode 6.0 or higher font for see this page as indented. Default Windows options are often Arial and Verdana which hardly have emoji characters. Hence you see the squares with the code of emoji instead. Apply for Japanese, Chinese, Korean and other non-Western Latin languages.

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-11-05, 16:19

I've been having the same problem so I tried looking around for a font (as suggested) but I couldn't narrow down a single file. so I set about to see how to update my Unicode. I don't even know what version I have right now. I found and downloaded a zip file of the Unicode 9.0 files but I haven't figured out what to do with them yet. I'm still feeling a little overwhelmed at sticking my toes into this part of it.

I experimented with my old FF 50 install and I was able to "fix" it in Firefox just by changing this setting in Options:
Text Encoding Fallback for Legacy Content to Other (incl. Western Europe). I left the "allow pages to choose their own font instead of my selections" checked. UPADATE: It didn't fix everything. I have the odd buttons showing on other sites.

But alas, it did not turn out to be so easy in Pale Moon. I tried it with a new profile, no add-ons.
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-11-06, 01:29

Hrm, people maybe you need to check your "web-fu". Looking as simple as "How to see all unicode characters" ends in this help page:

https://www.unicode.org/help/display_problems.html

Also at the end of this page another valuable site:

http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/index.html

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-11-06, 02:37

@lycceus: Thank you for your suggestion. I ran across those sites in my searching. However, those pages are all Greek to my old self. All I know is that on some of the sites things like the Facebook "F", the Play Button on a video, the close X on a popup are a strange looking thing now. They used to display correctly and now they don't.
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-11-06, 14:21

I'm holding my breath, but I think I am fixed. It took going back to October 18th with a system image. That still didn't do it but I had a Pale Moon backup for October 12th, so I restored it. So far all the social buttons etc, are displaying correctly on numerous websites that I went tested. Oddly, some of them do still look a little strange at the emojipedia link from Latitude, but I am happy with my results. I just hope it's not temporary. I have two more system images going back to early Sept. I'll use them if I have to. ;)

There is one strange thing I've been left with after all the attempts to fix this. Perhaps it was always there and I just didn't notice it before because it also came with my restored system image from October 18th. In View-Character Encoding, there is a strange icon on the right, Chinese perhaps? And the check mark is gone from Auto Correct. And I am set on Unicode.
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-11-07, 03:33

mommabear wrote:There is one strange thing I've been left with after all the attempts to fix this. Perhaps it was always there and I just didn't notice it before because it also came with my restored system image from October 18th. In View-Character Encoding, there is a strange icon on the right, Chinese perhaps? And the check mark is gone from Auto Correct. And I am set on Unicode.
Off-topic:
On windows XP you can install some package for see the Chinese, Korean and Japanese characters using the Microsoft IME package. On windows 7 and higher you can install the input and language packs (for versions greater than Home/Starter).
Well as I did read from the pages, newer versions of Windows come with newer versions of unicode fonts, but of course not all them are supported. Try https://emojikeyboard.org/ for see if the issue is solved just in case. But as I did read here https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/39.0/releasenotes/ Firefox 39 supports unicode 8.0 but current Pale Moon is based on "branch 27.9" for firefox website and none emoji add-on can be installed (still if anybody know of some that works be my guest! :mrgreen: ). So unless Moonchild can check which version of unicode is supported natively in Pale Moon, your best bet is leave things alone in your setup or still look for a native Windows font.

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-11-07, 14:47

@lyceus:

FYI, the emoji keyboard link displays correctly. It's still all good except for that strange icon on Text Encoding, so I'm not changing anything. Thanks!
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-21, 13:04

FYI: I've worked on getting better Emoji support in Pale Moon -- the latest unstable version (published today) should display many more emoji, and in color at that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2018-02-21, 14:23

Thank you for all your hard work
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit