AMO site seeing Pale Moon as mobile

General discussion and chat (archived)
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

AMO site seeing Pale Moon as mobile

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-03, 01:49

Good evening. Since my thread was hijacked, I am trying again. :mrgreen: Is there a way to keep AMO from detecting Pale Moon (64-bit in Linux) as a mobile site? Is there a specific setting in about:config that would work, or changing the user agent string, or something?
Thanks. Peace. :geek:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: AMO site seeing Pale Moon as mobile

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-03, 12:00

It doesn't necessarily detect Pale Moon as mobile. It's just that the fallback CSS that is in use is a "mobile-alike" view. There's nothing that can be done there; it's AMO's design decision to require grid for "desktop" with no other fallback than "mobile".

https://github.com/mozilla/addons/issues/514#issuecomment-340245481
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-03, 17:48

It's still possible, at least for now, to go back to original AMO by clicking the link in the footer, "View classic desktop site".
This sets a cookie that sends you back. It's session only - But I edited the cookie to make it non-session (and protected it) using Cookiekeeper (found here too).

For the "return" link to work, it was necessary to accept first-party cookies and local (dom) storage, and to not block scripts from addons-amo.cdn.mozilla.net.

So far (since yesterday, when the "New Look" became default), this has allowed me to go straight to classic AMO without detours to the "New Look."

Footer "return" link. PM 27.5.1
amo-footer-return-link-pm27.5.1.png
Footer "return" link. FF 52.4.1esr
amo-footer-return-link-ff52.4.1.png
Protected cookie
amo-cookie.png

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-04, 02:12

coffeebreak wrote:This sets a cookie that sends you back. It's session only - But I edited the cookie to make it non-session (and protected it) using Cookiekeeper (found here too). …
Protected cookie
amo-cookie.png
What version of Cookiekeeper are you using?
I got a warning that protecting a session cookie is meaningless:
So for some reason, this doesn't appear to work for me. I just tested it by restarting Pale Moon, and it didn't work. Back to the hideous new site. :thumbdown:

UPDATE: I figured out that in the upper right corner is a menu that lets you add columns to the dialog. So I added "Session" and "Expire Date" and was able to edit it so it wouldn't expire.
Thanks for pointing out this useful add-on. i hope someone is able to persuade the developer to target PM directly and host at our add-ons site. :)
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-04, 06:45

Glad it worked out. :)

I used the latest version of CookieKeeper, 1.9.3.1.
It does target Pale Moon (even though hosted externally). It contains a PM application block and is listed on addons.palemoon.org (linking to AMO).

There have been off-and-on issues for some people with installing it from AMO (see here), and I don't know why this happens, but think it's caused by an AMO mess up rather than by the extension. I myself had no problems installing it.
gracious1 wrote:I got a warning that protecting a session cookie is meaningless
Yes. "Protecting" the cookie only protects it from being deleted by CookieKeeper. It doesn't protect it from being deleted by the browser's native cookie manager, so changing the cookie from session to non-session was absolutely essential.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-14, 07:38

Moonchild wrote:It doesn't necessarily detect Pale Moon as mobile. It's just that the fallback CSS that is in use is a "mobile-alike" view.
https://github.com/mozilla/addons/issues/514#issuecomment-340245481
It's not clear to me why it would default to this crappy view in Pale Moon but not in SeaMonkey, which shows the classic view whenever I go to the Mozilla Add-ons Site. And I mean the Firefox area, as well, shows the classic view, not just the SeaMonkey area.
Moonchild wrote:There's nothing that can be done there; it's AMO's design decision to require grid for "desktop" with no other fallback than "mobile".
So SeaMonkey has grid??