"A Fresh New Look for YouTube" not supported

General discussion and chat (archived)
29 Skidoo

"A Fresh New Look for YouTube" not supported

Unread post by 29 Skidoo » 2017-10-17, 20:16

The "Fresh New Look for YouTube" is not supported. I discovered this while trying to revert to the old format. I'm still trying. (Unfortunately it's partially supported. But, some people might want the new abomination.)

There are add ons I find necessary (i.e., to automatically stop a video from playing when I leave a tab, and to stop multiple videos from playing when the browser restarts), and I cannot do this in either the new Youtube interface, or, in Firefox. My only option was to use Pale Moon, and the old Youtube interface. I had reverted Youtube a few days ago, but the #$%^#%$^ went and auto "up"graded me again, argh! And, they may have made it impossible to revert!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: "A Fresh New Look for YouTube" not supported

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-18, 09:12

If YouTube is rolling out their new CPU-heavy UI for everyone, then we may as well, remove the override like done in 27.5.0
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-18, 11:50

@29 Skidoo

I'm just curious. With my poor eyesight, I like the non glare Dark Theme look of the new YouTube design. And since I'm using 27.5.0 which gives me the Dark Theme, what version of Pale Moon are you using?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-10-19, 00:30

I'm using the newest PM 27.5.1 and it won't even give me the option for the new version.
Says my browser is not supported. :think:

So I found a Stylish to make it look better. https://userstyles.org/styles/123887/yo ... e-2017-arc
1.jpg
Though, from what I hear, it might be better if I get to keep this version.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-19, 03:30

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I'm using the newest PM 27.5.1 and it won't even give me the option for the new version.
Since I do quite a bit of research using YouTube, your reason above is why I reverted back to 27.5.0 and I'm hoping it is only a temporary move until the next version of Pale Moon is released.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-10-19, 10:40

I am gonna get in trouble for this but I just can't take it anymore.

Guys, the difference in Youtube between 27.5.0 and 27.5.1 is ONLY the Site Specific User Agent Override. That is all that is standing between old YouTube layout and New YouTube layout.

Reverting to 27.5.0 and missing out on security and stability enhacements for one editable preference in about:config is one of the most ridiculous reasons I've read and I continue to read each and every post on this forum for about four years now.

Night Wing, you have been around here longer than I have.. You KNOW this already and up till now I have not known you to make poor choices like this and tout them as solutions or be so pigheaded about editing a preference.

tl;dr edit the pref dude, come on..

Peace

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-10-19, 11:42

Night Wing, you know you have the option to use 27.5.1 and the YT Dark theme: viewtopic.php?p=124711 where I pointed you to the 30 second workaround within minutes of your OP.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-19, 13:22

@satrow

I don't want to go that way. I've gone into "about:config" once before and made a gerry rig fix and I got burned by that move a few versions later and I don't want to go through that again. Everything on YouTube is working fine for me with 27.5.0 right out of the box without going into "about:config" and as I have said, it is only a temporary move until whatever problem between Pale Moon and YouTube gets sorted out. And I'm hoping this will in the next future public version release of Pale Moon.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-10-19, 14:01

Sorry, but it seems pretty unwise.
Night Wing wrote:And I'm hoping this will in the next future public version release of Pale Moon.
I believe this is unlikely.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-10-19, 15:19

Night Wing, considering that a major factor for you seems to be based around you having 4 machines/9 OS installs to keep updated, I suggest you make an effort to test working with PM 27.5.1 Portable. Depending on your OS choices, that would likely lead to you only having 2/3 Pale Moon versions to keep updated, rather than the current 9.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-19, 19:24

JustOff wrote:Sorry, but it seems pretty unwise.
Night Wing wrote:And I'm hoping this will in the next future public version release of Pale Moon.
I believe this is unlikely.
If you're referring to unwise and security with an older version of windows Pale Moon, then you've got a point. But my daily driver 99% of the time is linux Pale Moon and it is much harder to infect a linux distro through a browser, if your point is security, than if I was strictly using windows Pale Moon running in Windows 7 and no other operating system. And I don't share my windows files with my linux files. The two filing systems are always separate. A little extra work for me, but I don't mind the extra work.

As for "unlikely", I don't mind waiting to see what unfolds with YouTube and Pale Moon since I'm guessing more people visit YouTube than Facebook. And I'm one of those who does not have a Facebook account.

29 Skidoo

Unread post by 29 Skidoo » 2017-10-19, 20:49

Night Wing wrote:@29 Skidoo

I'm just curious. With my poor eyesight, I like the non glare Dark Theme look of the new YouTube design. And since I'm using 27.5.0 which gives me the Dark Theme, what version of Pale Moon are you using?
27.5.1/64 (Win)

29 Skidoo

Unread post by 29 Skidoo » 2017-10-19, 21:03

Off-topic:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I am gonna get in trouble for this but I just can't take it anymore.

Guys, the difference in Youtube between 27.5.0 and 27.5.1 is ONLY the Site Specific User Agent Override. That is all that is standing between old YouTube layout and New YouTube layout.

Reverting to 27.5.0 and missing out on security and stability enhacements for one editable preference in about:config is one of the most ridiculous reasons I've read and I continue to read each and every post on this forum for about four years now.
My primary concern is the ability to use the "Video Mouse Wheel" add-on, which at the moment is working (under PM 27.5.1). Whether or not it works seems to depend on... I've no idea what it depends on. Sometimes it "partially" works (i.e., it is operating in the background, but the UI is not placed on the YT pages, which I can live with), sometimes it works completely, some times it doesn't work at all.

I assume google is farting around with the under-the-hood bits on YT and can't seem to make their mind up. Not real pleased that they left me in never-never-land, where I am unable to revert back to the old interface, and am given advice to "up"grade to chrome because my browser is not allowed to have the new interface. This leaves me with bits of the new UI, and broken add-ons. Well, intermittently broken.

It could be worse -- I could be a YT provider (or whatever the term is for those who post videos there). They seem to be on a "demonetization" bloodbath, from what I read. People with massive numbers of views, who have been there for years, are suddenly demonetized, with no recourse (other than to migrate to "Patreon" which seems to be occurring on a wholesale level).
Last edited by Moonchild on 2017-10-20, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked off-topic; derailing the thread.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-10-19, 21:51

Dont kmow about anyone else but i just use youtube to view some videos and PM performs this function very well...I really could not care less what the ""layout"" is of youtube.
Thats my opinion FWIW. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-20, 01:28

Night Wing: the only difference causing this on YouTube is, as said, the user-agent string provided to YouTube, because for as big as Google is, they are still using decades-old methods to "detect" browser "features" by checking the useragent string (which is really bad).

The old override for YouTube was what is currently in place in 27.5.1:

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.youtube.com : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1 rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/27.5.1
general.useragent.override.gaming.youtube.com : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1 rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
27.5.0 used a new override which allows the new look for YouTube. This was poorly received because it is very CPU-intensive:

general.useragent.override.youtube.com : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1 rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 (Pale Moon)
general.useragent.override.gaming.youtube.com : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1 rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 (Pale Moon)
So, if you upgrade to 27.5.1, and put in the 27.5.0 override, you can enjoy your "fresh new CPU-heavy look" all you want, while keeping your browser safe and up-to-date.
There is no other reason for YT behaving like it does; it's just based on an arbitrary decision because of an arbitrary string that is configurable in a matter of 20 seconds of copy-paste in about:config.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-20, 03:05

@Moonchild

I'm guessing if I update back to 27.5.1 using Windows 7, the correct user agent for YouTube in "windows" Pale Moon is going to be:

general.useragent.override.youtube.com : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1 rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 (Pale Moon)
And this should work for the new YouTube design, with the Dark Theme, in windows Pale Moon using Windows 7.

Now, have you or Travis got the correct user agent override for the new YouTube design, which will give me the Dark Theme, that will work in "linux" Pale Moon (27.5.1)? Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen the linux Pale Moon user agent override code for the new YouTube design in (27.5.1). BTW, I use 64 bit linux Pale Moon.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-20, 03:58

I've been doing a little sniffing around in "about:config" and I think I might try this one first in windows Pale Moon (27.5.1).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9 (Pale Moon)
If the above one doesn't work, then I'll try:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1 rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 (Pale Moon)
For linux Pale Moon 27.5.1, I try this one for linux:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9 (Pale Moon)
And if the above doesn't work in linux, then I'll try the one below:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 (Pale Moon)
But I'll try them in the morning with my experimental laptop because I need a good night's sleep and I don't want a person named Murphy to show up tonight and keep me from getting a good night's sleep.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-10-20, 05:04

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I'm using the newest PM 27.5.1 and it won't even give me the option for the new version.
Says my browser is not supported. :think:
That happens with a fair amount of extensions, IIRC. Because it appears to AMO, that you have an old version of Firefox, you need to change the UA to mimic at least Firefox 52 or around there...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-20, 09:37

RJARRRPCGP wrote:That happens with a fair amount of extensions, IIRC. Because it appears to AMO, that you have an old version of Firefox, you need to change the UA to mimic at least Firefox 52 or around there...
This thread has nothing to do with extensions. Please read more carefully before replying?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-20, 12:43

A new day brings new beginnings.

Tried the "45.9" code in "about:config" for 27.5.1 on my experimental laptop since it has a linux Mint hard drive and a windows 7 hard drive. The code worked for YouTube and I now have the Dark Theme which my poor eyesight really likes.

Then I did my other 8 hard drives and everything in YouTube is "working like a well oiled machine". I'm glad I did all of my computers this morning instead of last night when I was tired. And as an added bonus, a guy by the name of Murphy......didn't show up this morning. ;)

I'll just have to remember to keep this code for YouTube in future versions of Pale Moon.