Back to using Pale Moon

General discussion and chat (archived)
half-moon

Back to using Pale Moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-10-05, 00:41

I'm back to using Pale moon after having switched to waterfox for a couple months. My big motivation to switching away was that PM kept freezing on youtube, plus the blocking of a a certain extension (that I don't use and won't mention). It was nice to have up-to-date version of some extensions on Waterfox but I found it unacceptable that it would take a couple minutes for the browser to start up and I thought the recent update would've solved it but it didn't. After switching back to PM, it is nice to have a browser that didn't take a millennia to start-up. While PM still takes a while to load, it's much more acceptable. Sadly the freezing on youtube issue still exists in PM, but it can be solved by using the 32-bit version of PM instead of the 64-bit version.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Back to using Pale Moon

Unread post by van p » 2017-10-05, 05:53

I use Pale Moon, Cyberfox, and Waterfox. None of them take "a couple minutes" to start up. I'm still on 27.4.2.

If I want to do anything on YouTube, I normally don't use Pale Moon. My understanding is that things have improved in relation to YouTube in the current version of Pale Moon. After things have settled down a bit, I'll update Pale Moon.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-10-05, 06:14

half-moon wrote: Sadly the freezing on youtube issue still exists in PM, but it can be solved by using the 32-bit version of PM instead of the 64-bit version.
If it only works on the 32-bit version, then it's probably a video driver issue and not something directly related to Pale Moon. Also YT's new layout is causing issues while the old one works fine. And as van p said, no browser under normal conditions should take a couple of minutes to start up. Something else on the system is probably causing it (security software is one example).

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-10-05, 12:43

back2themoon wrote:
half-moon wrote: Sadly the freezing on youtube issue still exists in PM, but it can be solved by using the 32-bit version of PM instead of the 64-bit version.
If it only works on the 32-bit version, then it's probably a video driver issue and not something directly related to Pale Moon. Also YT's new layout is causing issues while the old one works fine. And as van p said, no browser under normal conditions should take a couple of minutes to start up. Something else on the system is probably causing it (security software is one example).
I thought maybe the reason waterfox took so long to start is because I don't have SSD. BTW, The only security software I run is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium. Also, I shouldn't have issues with my video drivers since I'm using a card that is still supported by nvidia.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-10-05, 19:49

I dont have freezes on youtube with x64
But if the x86 works for you, your graphic driver have problems with x64. Use x86 then