Sept. Windows 7 updates

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Sept. Windows 7 updates

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-09-20, 15:19

its no secret I distrust Microsoft. They are now not real helpful on update descriptions. I do not do the rollups ever. I go to the catalogue and do the security only version which I did for Sept. However, there are two other updates relating to Net Framework. One is under Important and is 2017-09 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7 on Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4041083). The other is this optional one Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB3186497)

Do I want to accept either of these? Whenever I see the words Quality Rol-lup in any Microsoft update I hear alarms bell going off.

Any sage advice appreciated.

ps, My windows utility program was updated and it caused an unwanted change to my Windows update setting from Never to Automatically, I had to delete the September updates it downloads and then I got the security only version. This was done by Iobit's software as far as I can tell.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: Sept. Windows 7 updates

Unread post by satrow » 2017-09-20, 17:22

I suggest you work through the general and W7 -specific posts and links here.

When this round of updates kicked off, I did see that one of the .NET patches looked significant, I think it patched *something* that was in the wild. Apart from installing any patches you consider vital and 'safe', I'd hold off for another 2-3 weeks or so for real-world bugs and workarounds to come to light, maybe MS will have published some useful info (and patches for these patches) by then.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-09-20, 18:46

Pretty much I only do security type updates from Microsoft. This time the dang Iobit made my PC download them automatically. I worked with them in place for as much as a day or so and nothing freaked out. So after I removed them, I figured the security only update was probably OK on my box and downloaded it..

The only things that update automatically are the databases for security and malware type things. All of them must also notify so I know when they happen and can try to see what they did.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-09-20, 23:42

satrow wrote:
When this round of updates kicked off, I did see that one of the .NET patches looked significant, I think it patched *something* that was in the wild
It definitely patched something. Belarc Advisor flagged the NET update on my wife's computer, so I installed it.