How do I learn how to mod Pale Moon myslef?

General discussion and chat (archived)
John connor

How do I learn how to mod Pale Moon myslef?

Unread post by John connor » 2017-09-17, 21:24

So I have been messing around with the omni.ja and it's shed some light on how things function which I find interesting. Yes, I know I should use an add-on rather than messing around with omni.ja, but so far I haven't messed anything up and I keep a back up of that file just in case.

So it looks like I need knowledge in Visual Basic, JS, HTML and CSS. Am I correct? I'm actually more wanting to learn C#, but if PHP is any indication it is well over my head. Is C# easy to learn in college? And what about dlls? How hard is that to code? I have some program ideas mostly centered around SDR radios and I need to know how to craft dlls.

I've actually never been to college and thought about taking classes in cyber security and cloud computing. But I need to learn Linux as my Linux terminal knowledge is next to nothing. I always have to look at such sites as Stack Exchange just to know how to run something in terminal.

The interest is there, but whether I can grasp the knowledge is another story.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How do I learn how to mod Pale Moon myslef?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-17, 22:04

What you should do is look at existing extensions and how they do things.

Also, "modding" Pale Moon by directly changing the application files isn't the right way to learn anything, and if you're looking to change specific behavior, you may end up looking in all the wrong places, depending on the feature. In addition, you will be entirely on your own, because we will not provide any help with hacking away at omni.ja -- in fact, just unpacking and repacking it already removes specific optimizations making the result slower.
John connor wrote:So it looks like I need knowledge in Visual Basic, JS, HTML and CSS. Am I correct?
Nope. Visual Basic isn't used anywhere. HTML isn't really used in the browser's internals either (at most a few XHTML pages, but most of it is XUL). The browser UI itself is XUL and JavaScript, for the most part, but any APIs under that use IDL to bridge it to C++ code.
John connor wrote:I'm actually more wanting to learn C#
If you want to learn C# then you should not be looking at Pale Moon.
John connor wrote:And what about dlls? How hard is that to code?
A .dll is just a dynamically-linked library; it can be written in any language that has a compiler capable of creating shared libraries.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

John connor

Re: How do I learn how to mod Pale Moon myslef?

Unread post by John connor » 2017-09-18, 03:56

I know about the optimization of the omni.ja file and from what I can tell I haven't seen any slow down and the file looks to be optimized.

What is IDL and I guess you need to know C++?

EDIT-

Found my answer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDL_%28pr ... anguage%29