Malvertising Campaign Mines Cryptocurrency Right in Your Browser

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Postby Thehandyman1957 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Thought this was interesting.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... r-browser/
"Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny."

helloimustbegoing
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Malvertising Campaign Mines Cryptocurrency Right in Your Browser

Postby helloimustbegoing » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:50 pm

It runs via scripts. Another good reason to use NoScript.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:27 am

Off-topic:
Although I understand some of you love NoScript for what it does, I'm getting really tired of hearing the same'ol every... single... time... there is a mention of potential abuse (and sometimes legitimate use) of scripting for tasks. It's not a magic wand, and you may or may not like it but the reality is that JavaScript is an essential and integral part of the modern web. It's not optional, and NoScript can and will break many sites.

So stop scratching that itch, please. It's exhausting to see it over and over.

Now to get back on-topic for this thread, I'm pretty sure that anyone would notice their CPU going full-bore because of JS-based cryptocurrency mining. On top of that, there is the issue that CPU mining of cryptocurrency is not going to be in any way bringing in more than very small amounts; I doubt that it would even pay for the advertising costs. Not in a world where we have GPU mining and ASICs.
Then there's the issue that malvertising can and will be stopped by ad networks when brought to light, because they have to -- such intrusive actions are equal to computer hacking (the bad kind), especially if no permission was granted and no action was taken by the user.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Postby Thehandyman1957 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:31 am

Moonchild wrote:It's not optional, and NoScript can and will break many sites.

Off-topic:
Yup, I finally got so sick and tired of trying to figure out what script was being blocked, causing web page

dysfunction that I just un-installed it. I don't miss it at all.

I'm pretty sure that anyone would notice their CPU going full-bore because of JS-based cryptocurrency mining.

I was thinking the same thing, I mean, how would you be able to play the game on the site if it was hogging all you CPU?
"Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny."

John connor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby John connor » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:28 am

I remember reading some time ago that uTorrent had a miner in their client.
My forum project :wave:
You ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced |GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K7| i5 6600k | 2666 MHz Ballistix Tactical RAM | Crucial MX300 256GB SSD | 1 TB Hitachi platter | GTX 560TI |Logitech Z 5300 5.1 audio | Logitech mouse/keyboard
Laptop: Dell Precision M6300

coffeebreak
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby coffeebreak » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:41 am

John connor wrote:I remember reading some time ago that uTorrent had a miner in their client.

Yes, I read about it here - uTorrent bundles Bitcoin Miner, time for some alternatives

John connor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby John connor » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:45 am

I like how uTorrent's response is a flat out lie.
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced |GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K7| i5 6600k | 2666 MHz Ballistix Tactical RAM | Crucial MX300 256GB SSD | 1 TB Hitachi platter | GTX 560TI |Logitech Z 5300 5.1 audio | Logitech mouse/keyboard

Tomaso
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Tomaso » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Sounds like it might be a good time to try and get PM's old XSS filter up and working again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:14 am

Tomaso wrote:Sounds like it might be a good time to try and get PM's old XSS filter up and working again.

That won't help with this. the malvertising campaign isn't XSS.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

dark_moon
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Postby dark_moon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Tomaso wrote:Sounds like it might be a good time to try and get PM's old XSS filter up and working again.

If you got it working, that would be awesome!
Happy Pale Moon x64 under Win7 x64 User
German translator for Pale Moon 15+ and Pale Moon Commander addon

HowTo create a new Pale Moon Profile & use the Safe Mode
My GPG Key: 0x01EAFE95

hujan86
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Postby hujan86 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:21 am

UBlock Origin is able to block the script, but you have to subscribe to Steven Black's list.
Continue to pester Mega for abandoning their old Firefox extension and also their lack of response. :thumbdown: :evil:

Nigaikaze
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Nigaikaze » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:18 pm

hujan86 wrote:UBlock Origin is able to block the script, but you have to subscribe to Steven Black's list.

Or EasyPrivacy, which is now blocking the mining scripts on coin-hive.com and jsecoin.com.

rabnbeinn
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rabnbeinn » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:01 pm

A few torrent sites are looking to or already have introduced this crypto-mining malarky (TPB & Noid already experimenting) in order to do away with ads. The community is not happy but I suspect many more ad dependant (torrent) sites may follow...

https://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-website-runs-a-cryptocurrency-miner-170916/

https://torrentfreak.com/cryptocurrency-miner-targeted-by-anti-virus-and-adblock-tools-170926/

John connor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby John connor » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:03 pm

I hate to say this, but looking at the coin-hive site, it seems like a really great way to generate revenue all the while getting rid of those pesky and annoying ADs. You can adjust how much of a person's CPU is used so that you don't tax their complete system. 20%-30% sounds reasonable. Besides, many people have a pretty good CPU and at the rate of 20%-30% that's like just running a Flash-based script. I do wonder about the smart device users though. There are many. I can seeing this being a new way in the future for websites wanting to get rid of ADs. Especially if you have a rather large user base like TPB.

So do I support it? On websites that will only utilize 20%-30% of my CPU, sure. I want to support the site, but I can't stand ADs. Although, I imagine with my use of uBlock, eventually the script will get blacklisted. So I would have to allow it.

Return to “General discussion”