The new Youtube design

General discussion and chat (archived)
Octopuss

The new Youtube design

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-09-03, 10:33

About two days ago I found out - to my horror - that Youtube got completely new design.
Am I a minority or is anyone else feeling like throwing up?
It's the fucking flat design AGAIN. I don't understand how could anyone think it's a good thing. I can't tell what is a button and what not. MY EYES!
And why on earth do they (any developers) ALWAYS make colours look like shit when moving onto the flat design? Yes I mean any Android from version 5 onwards for example.
I know I am oldschool and stuff, but this just looks horrible.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: The new Youtube design

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-03, 11:17

You are not alone.
See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16539#p120646
Someone mentioned that you can opt-out.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-09-03, 11:31

I haven't seen the new roll out for YouTube. It hasn't gotten to me yet. And I'm no fan of the dull looking flat look.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-09-03, 11:59

Yeah, GUIs everywhere are being dumbed down to accommodate shitty mobile devices.
Hell, even Win9x had a futuristic look to it compared to this new flat, black and white crap!
Several times I've found myself thinking that a page didn't load properly, only to discover that they've intentionally lobotomized their design.
Fortunately, the new YouTube design hasn't reached me yet either, but I'm sure that it sucks! :(

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-09-03, 14:27

I am curious here. Does YouTube look different if one is a registered user vs. me who won't register with Google? Pretty much all I do is to view select videos on YouTube. Since I don't create videos, I have 0 need to upload anything to YouTube, so I have no reason to register. YouTube looks the same to me as it has for quite some time.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-09-03, 14:38

Fortunately, with the current UA override setting (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/27.4.2) YouTube is still displayed in the old design. You could change 42 to 44 or above to get the new one, but I'm not sure that everything will work correctly.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-09-03, 16:02

TwoTankAmin wrote:Does YouTube look different if one is a registered user vs. me who won't register with Google? Pretty much all I do is to view select videos on YouTube. Since I don't create videos, I have 0 need to upload anything to YouTube, so I have no reason to register. YouTube looks the same to me as it has for quite some time.
I do exactly as you do. Since I'm not registered and I don't upload anything to YT, maybe this is why I haven't seen the new roll out look. But I have a feeling the new YT look is going to be shoved down my throat and it is only a matter of time before Google "gives it to me". :thumbdown:
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-09-03, 16:46

Don't care about the look other than the fact that it wastes tons of space, and the #FF0000 logo burns my eyes. I do hate that some things don't work right, the website is massively less responsive, and can't do things like middle-click to open some links. The only thing they did right with this is add an optional dark mode.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-09-03, 16:52

Ever since YouTube sold out to Google it's become the piece of shit only Google could make it. Flat is stupid as all hell and it's just one small reason why I don't use Winblows 8 or 10. Why should I have to install a custom GUI just to make it look normal FFS?

What I don't get is that a lot of people are ditching the PC in favor of an asinine smart device. Now I have a smartphone, but it's a bitch typing on that crap. How on earth are people typing letters and resumes, etc?! Smart devices have their uses, but for God sakes it's not a total Internet replacement. I don't surf the net on my phone. Only to look up a thing or two or a phone number.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-09-03, 20:26

John connor wrote:What I don't get is that a lot of people are ditching the PC in favor of an asinine smart device. Now I have a smartphone, but it's a bitch typing on that crap. How on earth are people typing letters and resumes, etc?! Smart devices have their uses, but for God sakes it's not a total Internet replacement.
Most people are sheep, and they follow the latest trends, no matter how unpractical they might be.

Also, there seems to be this ridiculous hype of HAVING to use Wi-Fi instead of cables, even for stationary devices that could greately benefit from a wired connection.
Several times I've encountered people complaining about choppy playback when streaming HD content on their TVs.
Turns out that they've got their TV, media box or whatever, connected to the internet via bloody Wi-Fi!
Of course, hooking the device up through a proper ethernet cable fixes the playback issues right away. :)

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-09-03, 22:08

Off-topic:
Tell me about it! I see a large push for WIFI everyfreakingwhere! I actually just seen a new commercial today on these little white boxes you can buy so that you have WIFI in all rooms. They already sell products like that, but I'm willing to bet it chops the bandwidth in half.

For me I wired up the house with ethernet cable. I only use WIFI for the laptop and my phone. I do see a lot of posts on various computer forums about WIFI issues. It's mind boggling that they just don't run some damn ethernet. Especially if the damn modem or router is sitting right next to you. :lol:

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-09-03, 22:38

I must admit that I've got one of those white boxes that you refer to.
..but I've configured mine to act as an Access Point instead of a Range Extender.
That way I were able to place it in the very best spot possible, thereby allowing me to completely disable the Wi-Fi feature in my router.
My whole house is wired with Cat6 ethernet cables too. :)

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-09-05, 02:54

I just hate that it broke ViewTube. Again. And that I have to go update my content filters to disable the autoplay feature. Again.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2017-09-05, 11:10

John connor wrote:What I don't get is that a lot of people are ditching the PC in favor of an asinine smart device. Now I have a smartphone, but it's a bitch typing on that crap. How on earth are people typing letters and resumes, etc?
External Bluetooth keyboards, casting to a bigger display, or those docking stations you can connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to (the Galaxy 8 comes bundled with one here as a preorder bonus, or so I saw in the adverts).

I could probably do a good chunk of my work on a 5-6" display, and the idea is kind of romantic in a minimalist way, but my thoughts in that direction usually end at the question why I should do this when I have a perfectly fine desktop that is much more comfortable to use. Laptops, though, I find much more replaceable with a large-ish smartphone.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-09-05, 11:53

Off-topic:
The thing is, smart devices are an advertisers answer to a wet dream. They are not very easy to lock down privacy wise and if you could you will need to root and install all kinds of Apps and modifications. Not worth it. There is a phone called a "Black Phone" sold by Silent Circle, but I have to wonder how secure & private they are.

Personally, I'd rather use Qubes and Sandboxie on a regular old fashioned trusty computer. https://www.qubes-os.org/ Edward Snowden apparently supports the use of Qubes.

Perhaps when the CPU of smart devices gets better and their storage grows, vitalization and more privacy/security issues will be a thing of the past.

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2017-09-05, 15:30

mrmivo wrote:
John connor wrote:What I don't get is that a lot of people are ditching the PC in favor of an asinine smart device. Now I have a smartphone, but it's a bitch typing on that crap. How on earth are people typing letters and resumes, etc?
External Bluetooth keyboards, casting to a bigger display, or those docking stations you can connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to (the Galaxy 8 comes bundled with one here as a preorder bonus, or so I saw in the adverts).

I could probably do a good chunk of my work on a 5-6" display, and the idea is kind of romantic in a minimalist way, but my thoughts in that direction usually end at the question why I should do this when I have a perfectly fine desktop that is much more comfortable to use. Laptops, though, I find much more replaceable with a large-ish smartphone.
look on the 'play store', there are good larger 'soft keyboards' there (I use 'TouchPal' that has very good word detection and voice input detection!)

It is *still* a problem doing anything serious on a tablet though... and a decent netbook with windows works much better!!
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

AstonAgar

Unread post by AstonAgar » 2017-09-06, 02:03

Hey, I didn't try the new design for me. So, no comments on this.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-09-06, 11:28

illiad wrote:look on the 'play store', there are good larger 'soft keyboards' there (I use 'TouchPal' that has very good word detection and voice input detection!)

It is *still* a problem doing anything serious on a tablet though... and a decent netbook with windows works much better!!

But you're still not gaming, creating power point presentations, converting video and many other desktop/laptop orientated things on an asinine smart device. They have their uses, but being a power user I refuse to use it as my every day go to device.. I have a twelve hundred dollar computer and will have an upgraded GPU adding to the value I'd rather use. Or my laptop.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-09-24, 13:42

I just installed Pale Moon v27.5.0, and there it was.. the nasty new YouTube look!
Simply changing PM's UA override to the old one fixed the problem right away though, like pointed out by JustOff here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16576#p120937
:)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-09-24, 14:46

Tomaso wrote:I just installed Pale Moon v27.5.0, and there it was.. the nasty new YouTube look!
Can you view the new "dark theme" YouTube has put in for their new design. I have part of the new design but not all of it. I'm missing the "three vertical dot settings" button in both of my linux and windows Pale Moon 27.4.2 versions which would allow me to enable the dark theme.