The new Youtube design

General discussion and chat (archived)
Latitude

Re: The new Youtube design

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-10-01, 03:13

petrus wrote:I don't like it, because it's slower and because the Download YouTube Videos as MP4 extension doesn't work with it.

To get the older design served set the "general.useragent.override.youtube.com" back to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.4.2
Thanks petrus!

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-10-01, 03:26

lyceus wrote:FYI, as we all know the UI redesign is too bad that I was about to report it as broken page in the 27.5.0 beta test cycle :crazy:

If you can, like me please stick to your factory You Tube app in your Android phone as the UI from these old versions are more "usable". :sick:
Yes, very true. The old factory version of YT app is tragically more usable than the new ones. Even the new ones couldn't stream at all in my old Android 4.0 smartphone.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-10-02, 10:23

Will there be efforts put forth to upgrade Pale Moon to be able to properly use the new new design, or will this be saved for the new browser project?

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-02, 12:34

The new YouTube design is script heavy (so I have heard, I do not use YouTube). So, to make it bearable, the browser needs to execute JavaScript faster. That means a lot of optimizations/enhancements in browser's JS subsystem. Given that YouTube is run by Google, the script might be tailored to run better on their V8 engine. If that is the case, it is a battle we cannot win. No matter how hard we try, no matter what optimizations we make.

Basilisk might have some benefit out of the box as it will be based on "newer" Mozilla platform code, otherwise do not expect much from there also. Same thing as above applies here too.

Ultimately it is Google's responsibility to make their website performant, enjoyable and accessible. And if they do not want it, no one can do anything about it. I understand that YouTube is very important for humanity, but "fixing" our browser for it will mean that we are trying to fix the problem from the wrong end.
Off-topic:
This might be Google's another step to move people to Chrome. Have you not seen how their sites are special in their own browser!

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2017-10-02, 14:06

curios thought: Just a wonder; If Google runs youtube, could they be setting it up so that you can ONLY have the best youtube experience if you use their browser.... Google Chrome? I have not tried it, it's just a thought.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-02, 14:46

Off-topic:
faithbuilders, at Google's scale it is certainly possible, but currently they won't go too far with that. If Chrome usage continues to grow, they will surely turn up the knob to cause more trouble for non-Chromers.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-02, 15:03

Off-topic:
Google Chrome's market share on the Desktop has slipped during the months of August and September (2017. Chrome might have plateaued. And Microsoft Edge took a nose dive during the month of September (2017).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox