Anybody Else Having Issues w/ Morgan Stanley Site

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Anybody Else Having Issues w/ Morgan Stanley Site

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-09-01, 16:24

Life was great. No problems with Pale Moon anywhere but the Vanguard site. But I have two versions of PM running and the portable set-up worked fine there. My hard drive set-up worked fine everywhere else. I tend to do P M upgrades slowly. I watch the forum for a some time to look for people posting issues with the new version. Then I will upgrade the hard drive but wait a while before doing the portable. The hard drive one went fine no issues, still would not work on Vanguard. So I took the plunge and upgraded the Portable version as well. It still worked fine on Vanguard. I could access the Morgan Site using either version.

A few days ago when I went to the Morgan Stanley site and logged on, it was a disaster, loading at a snails pace, locking up the browser requiring task manager to get out. I tried the Portable version with the same result. Then I even tried my emergency copy of FireFox ver 28 which still works all over the net but which I use less than a total of 60 minutes a year. It too locked up. Yes- I tried disabling extensions in P M to no avail.

My first call to M S on this got me the usual suggestion, try Chrome. No, I do not want Chrome on my box and will not DL it. Then, talking to my broker, I learned that he had some other clients with the same problem. MS was supposedly working on the problem. A call on Tuesday to support said not yet fixed. So far not fixed for me as of this morning.

I run Window 7 64 bit. Since the roll-ups started I do the security only update from the catalog. I have not changed my extensions in ages - the last addition was AdBlockLatitude when I moved from FF to P M a few years ago. When I must use flash I still have the final ESR version and will not upgrade. It is usually set to ask to or never activate. I hate flash, and have learned to dislike Adobe overall.

I do not think my problem is due to P M. I have tried changing modes and always get the same result. I also feel that Morgan Stanley has one of the worst IT departments i have seen at a major financial institution.

If anybody has any thoughts, ideas or suggestions because I am wrong and it something in P M at fault, please chime in. I can post a troubleshooting report if that would help.

edited to turn on notify when a reply is posted
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Anybody Else Having Issues w/ Morgan Stanley Site

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-03, 12:19

Hate to say it but the only thing I can suggest at this point is that you have a good talk with them why you are dropping them as your broker after many years, and then move on to a broker that has their IT in order -- if they can't make a simple web interface stable, I can't even begin to imagine what the back-end of their financial software that handles YOUR assets is going to look like.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-09-03, 14:09

AMAZING! Morgan actually admitted that they have a problem and are trying to fix it.

I do not consider that I am a client of Morgan, I am a client of my broker whom I have know since 1980. When he retires or dies, I am done with Morgen. But my guy is too good to leave him and I have followed him as his firms were acquired several times culminating with Morgan buying Smith Barney from Citibank during the 2008-09 crash. We also play poker in the same game every other week :D
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-09-08, 22:41

I spoke too soon, they have changed their minds. Now they say it was not their fault. BS. Pale Moon is an unsupported browser, use one of the other spyware browsers we approve or do your business without using the site. If I was willing to use Chrome, IE, Edge or FireFox, I would not be using Pale Moon.

Odd how I can use Pale Moon on the Vanguard brokerage site, I can use it on the Chase and Citibank sites. I can use it on the Simmons Bank credit card site.

I see my broker tomorrow evening at the poker game in which we both play. I think I will have to tell him I am moving my account. The good thing is he has a great business and my departure will not materially impact him.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-10, 09:47

It's a pity that they turned around yet again and decided to blame us instead of have their IT dept. do their dues in their web interface implementation. I'm guessing this is also upper management not wanting to call in help (at cost) to fix their error(s).

I really don't blame you for saying that enough is enough here.
I'm not sure if I'd trust Firefox (or Chrome) to handle sensitive brokerage data either at this point considering the telemetry (which will get worse and no longer opt-in if Mozilla has their way) and increasing number of external services integrated into their browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-09-12, 17:56

TwoTankAmin wrote:A few days ago when I went to the Morgan Stanley site and logged on, it was a disaster, loading at a snails pace, locking up the browser requiring task manager to get out. I tried the Portable version with the same result. Then I even tried my emergency copy of FireFox ver 28 which still works all over the net but which I use less than a total of 60 minutes a year. It too locked up.
Finally got over to my dad's house to check on this. Yep, got the exact same results that you're reporting. PM 27.4.2 and the latest (9/11) unstable version both behave this way. On a whim I tried IE and it also crapped out, loading things godawfully slowly until it finally crawled to a halt. To rule out his slow internet connection being the cause, I tried accessing the site on PM 27.4.2 on my Linux box. Nope. It appears to be more than just a Pale Moon problem, but later tonight I'll have time to dig deeper into this on my dual-boot workstation, so hopefully it'll be able to give me a coherent error message or two.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-09-13, 00:47

Update: the Morgan Stanley site loads up as expected in IE 11 on my Win7 x64 workstation. I have significantly better bandwidth and a far more powerful CPU than my father does, so either of those could be issues for him.

As far as Pale Moon goes, the site is still horked on my workstation, sluggish as can be and never fully loading. The only errors I'm seeing in the error console are these:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 9/12/2017 6:39:59 PM
Error: NS_ERROR_FAILURE:
Source File: https://mso.morganstanleyclientserv.com/shell/mso-shellScript-core?v=SjcQGHAvothYd0tiX37HBWoXkCJkXiOwUHMDX5y5Gtk1
Line: 3

Timestamp: 9/12/2017 6:40:44 PM
Error: downloadable font: rejected by sanitizer (font-family: "msoicons" style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:0)
source: https://markets.morganstanleyclientserv.com/MSOnline/Content/Styles/Components/fonts/msoicons.eot?v=636246991604079107
Source File: https://markets.morganstanleyclientserv.com/MSOnline/bundles/styles/common?v=kvHozzsiKM9CCW2hrQMcWijy2fr8d8GtSxWg7f7KmxM1
Line: 3, Column: 117987
Source Code: @font-face {   font-family: "msoicons";   src: url("/MSOnline/Content/Styles/Components/fonts/msoicons.eot?v=636246991604079107"); }

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-13, 15:04

The site loads fine for me, just like any other site. Loading completes after 4-5 seconds. While loading, it stalls my system for a second though, but it may be becasue of my 10 year old CPU. The only errors in the console are:

Code: Select all

mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create index.min.js:5:2403
SyntaxError: expected expression, got '<' activityi;src=2168002;type=morga000;cat=morga0;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=;ord=9002944567913.291:1:0
URL: http://www.morganstanley.com/ and https://login.morganstanleyclientserv.com/
Pale Moon 27.4.2 32-bit (Arch Linux)

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-09-13, 18:37

adesh wrote:The site loads fine for me, just like any other site. Loading completes after 4-5 seconds.
Are you actually logging into the site? The problems happen after logging in, when we're accessing https://mso.morganstanleyclientserv.com.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-13, 18:45

Oh, sorry! I am not a customer.