Pale Moon Unstable identifier on Google Search?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Latitude

Pale Moon Unstable identifier on Google Search?

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-08-17, 11:13

Does Pale Moon Unstable use an identifier on Google Search?

I noticed "...&rls=MCP-unstable:en-US&client=palemoon..." on the address bar.

So, is it safe to say that Pale Moon is back to use an identifier again in Google Search, just like old times?

I upgraded (in overwrite mode) from Pale Moon 24 to Pale Moon 27 Unstable in my other computer, so it uses Pale Moon 24 profile.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon Unstable identifier on Google Search?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-18, 08:34

The distribution ID is likely something Google extracts itself from the browser. We don't use any identifier specifically sent to Google.
Unless, of course, you use some third party searchplugin that sends this data ;) since we don't include a Google one by default.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-08-18, 12:24

Moonchild wrote:The distribution ID is likely something Google extracts itself from the browser. We don't use any identifier specifically sent to Google.
Unless, of course, you use some third party searchplugin that sends this data ;) since we don't include a Google one by default.
I upgraded from the old Pale Moon 24 which sends identifier to Google Search.
Maybe, the culprit is the old PM 24's Google search plugin.

The Google icon in the search box is the old one. The word "g" in the handwriting form inside the blue box.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-18, 12:44

Yeah the issue will be the (firefox) Google search plugin that you adopted in your profile. That plugin sends all sorts of identifiers across.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-08-19, 13:34

Could I get rid of it completely?

I tried to remove the "blue box" Google Search and install the "rounded" Google Search from APO, but unfortunately it is an unsuccessful attempt.

Tried to get through profile folder, but it only contained non-default search engines?

Any suggestions to resolve this?

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-08-19, 20:03

You can change the search string by hand, just edit palemoon\browser\searchplugins\google.xml, or any other, for example.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-19, 22:13

Latitude wrote:Tried to get through profile folder, but it only contained non-default search engines?
Any suggestions to resolve this?
Google is not a default search engine in Pale Moon. If it's present, it will be in your profile folder, not the Pale Moon application folder.