Board Warrior

Re: Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-10-01, 16:53

Paint.net lands in Windows Store (but is not free):
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/01/paint ... -not-free/

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2017-10-01, 18:08

John connor wrote:Exactly. Windows is trying hard to copy the asinine "smart device" market very hard. It's as analogous to Firefox copying Chrome and we know how that's going. For me personally, it will be a very long time before I use Winblows 10. I use Winblows 7 and thankfully my computer build I made on May 6th allows Wins 7. But I know that will change as motherboard manufactures make their drivers Win 10 only. When that time comes I'll just use Pfsense and block all of M$'s ASNs. I don't appreciate the forced updates and spying for ADware purposes in MY OS that I payed for. I don't care about this, "It's still not yours crap." I freaking payed a fortune for that OS! I'd use Linux, but it's just not there to do what I want and play the games I want. And Linux and there sudo this and that crap drives me nuts! I'm just not a command line person. I just want to point and click.

I like how they call it an "update." LMAO! :lol: So now if you want to post a screenshot you'll have to use a third party paint program. Which I do use, but for others they most likely don't.
I hope that ReactOS can become a viable replacement by 2021, but at the current pace of development, I'm not sure. I will buy old hardware before I use Windows 10, that's how much M$ has lost my trust.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-02, 12:57

Off-topic:
I'm aftraid ReactOS has not had the pace it needs to become a viable alternative ever since they started. It took them 10 years to come to something that is still wholly incomplete and based on several-years-obsolete technology in its current state that nobody is still targeting as a (primary) platform. I've made a serious point to them a bunch of years ago that they should target NT6.* as kernel compatibility, but for some reason that has completely fallen on deaf ears.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-10-03, 19:20

Off-topic:
I play the lotto, two in total: the state lotto and Mega Millions which is a pool shared by all the states and the U.S territories. I always use the same numbers and I reckon eventually my numbers will come up. Might take 30 years. But I have faith it will happen. When it does and if I when Mega Millions I have to things I want to have done:

1) Form a company to create the best flight simulator the world has ever seen.

2) Create a user-friendly OS that will hopefully be a great alternative to Windows. My goal would be to target the PC market. But I'm thinking the PC, as it stands now is slowly going extinct in favor of the smart device/mobile platform. I predict that the only market for PCs is for the gamer and the power user.

But my main goal would be the flight Sim. I'm an avid flight sim pilot, know my fare share about aviation, etc. FS2004, FSX, Prepar3d, etc are all lacking many, many things. And I want to fix that and bring a real Sim to market that can truly use multiple threads and the GPU. That would be at the heart of the Sim. Other features would be spectacular graphics, feature rich aircraft and the utmost in realism with ATC, among other key features. This venture will undoubtedly cost me millions and I will have to get some investors. I want to employee some of the best talent in the gaming field that I can. Creating a flight simulator is no easy task.

Anyway... I can dream can't I? :D

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2017-10-04, 01:49

I liked MS Paint for those quick mousepaint jobs with ugly red arrows pointing on the damn button which people sometimes failed to find. There should be a hall of MS Paint fame opened for all those funny graphics done in 32 years. I switched to Greenshot for editing snaps with red arrows and more, so no, I'll not miss MS Paint if they bury it.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-12-06, 11:26

I'm thinking about switching from Paint to Excel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrwBc6PwAcY
:)

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-12-07, 01:37

His Excel should start with a theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI4wJNB1iog

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-08, 13:14

Off-topic, I know but related and I'm only following on from others that have already gone off topic already.
Moonchild wrote:
Off-topic:
I'm aftraid ReactOS has not had the pace it needs to become a viable alternative ever since they started. It took them 10 years to come to something that is still wholly incomplete and based on several-years-obsolete technology in its current state that nobody is still targeting as a (primary) platform. I've made a serious point to them a bunch of years ago that they should target NT6.* as kernel compatibility, but for some reason that has completely fallen on deaf ears.
I do think that may be a little cruel as it is a tough job to recreate a whole o/s from scratch without complete documentation nor design documents. ReactOS released 0.4.7 today and it shows they are making good steady progress.

With regard to the NT6 suggestion you made to the team, they realise the enormity of the task they have set themselves and in that light a steady and solid unchangeable goal is a sensible decision for the team. I know the devs here at PM are attempting at least dual development streams what with PaleMoon and Basilisk - but to be fair to the ReactOS team, PM and Bas. are 'just' browsers in comparison to ReactOS being a whole o/s, most of the code is probably still Mozilla-based, the FF/Gecko code worked properly before anyone touched it and of course none of this is the case for the ReactOS team, they had none of those advantages. I also suggest developing an o/s is very different from building an application. Give them some slack...

The ReactOS team is obviously aware of the NT5 limitations and is already starting to add the possibility of some future NT6 compatibility through a shim engine. https://reactos.org/archives/public/ros-dev/2016-May/017852.html

Personally, I run Palemoon on Windows 7 and I think I have already made the decision to stick with Windows 7 until extended support for it ends (or most likely is extended again) and then I will review the progress on ReactOS and determine whether it is in a suitable state for adoption as an alternative o/s on a partition of my system (probably not given the speed of development but I am hoping for a beta release within that timescale).

I would then love to migrate my favoured applications to ReactOS and I'd hope to run PaleMoon there.

I understand the problems with all of this - I am just stating my future intentions and pointing out that ReactOS is maturing and recently quite fast, I run it in a virtual environment for some tasks already and it is usable as long as you lower your expectations and realise it is still in Alpha.

As I said earlier, the ReactOS team - give them some slack, they are in a similar position to you and there ought to be some correlation between the two positions and therefore the possibility of some symbiosis between the two products.

I suppose we ought to start a new thread for more debate on this, sorry for assisting the thread hijack!
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

franzk

Unread post by franzk » 2017-12-09, 11:14

As far as I'm concerned MS Paint died when they added anti-aliasing to it.
Moonchild wrote:
Off-topic:
Off-topic:
ReactOS is probably to pad the resumes of reverse engineers. Realistically, millions of lines of code for something based off of something that isn't secure

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-09, 12:46

franzk wrote:
Off-topic:
ReactOS is probably to pad the resumes of reverse engineers. Realistically, millions of lines of code for something based off of something that isn't secure
The word 'probably' is the word that makes that whole sentence mean the opposite of what it purports to state...

Before making such a sweeping statement it is wise to have a fact somewhere within the thought...

This might be a suitable fact for you - ReactOS developers are highly skilled in specific technologies, typically passionate about operating systems in the same way the PaleMoon devs are highly skilled and passionate about browsers. They commit their time to documenting Windows (a largely undocumented o/s whose inner workings are mostly unknown outside Microsoft), they commit source code to ReactOS, Wine and other projects and are heavily involved and committed to open source. They are largely the opposite in character to that which you proposed.

PS. Off of? - Don't you mean based on? What does "off of" actually mean?
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

franzk

Unread post by franzk » 2017-12-09, 20:37

Off-topic:
Pardon, I hit submit too fast, didn't want to double post either before my post was approved. I meant the NT system didn't have high security margins. Windows 98 was so bad that it would accidentally overwrite something important over time and cause a kernel panic. NT was an improvement and it wasn't until Vista that I think it reached Slackware levels of stability if all the inputs to it were valid.

Yes, they are enthusiastic about it. But realistically, if you only reverse engineer something, it doesn't really show on the resume, and you can't provide any examples as it would be proprietary in some cases.

I guess programmers are in a strange place, at least artists can make things, and the replicas aren't complex legal affairs. To me, ReactOS shows that it is something that could be done, but it certainly isn't something that should be done.