Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years

General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-01, 20:08

Like I said... with a lot of effort.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-08-02, 07:37

Tomaso wrote:
Moonchild wrote:with a lot of effort you can possibly create something nice in paint
Here's an example:
http://diamonster.deviantart.com/art/po ... -17908194/
:)

If that was done in paint he must have used a touch pen thingamabob.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-08-02, 17:09

This one is even more impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2g5qbvb7F4

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-03, 06:11

It doesn't matter how impressive the result is :) -- of note: "Nearly 50 hours of drawing" went into that one (with all the proper, professional tools like a Wacom Intuos) to achieve that result. That's a lot of effort. Including the "several hours of staring and wondering how to achieve this" with the tools at hand ;)
Also of note: if you work with a large enough base resolution, you can make a lot of things look photo-realistic that would look terrible at 1:1 scale; painters use that all the time. Subject matter is also important because of the way the human brain works to fill in what's missing.

Think Bob Ross: use a few pieces of chalk to create a landscape with a lot of tricks; that doesn't mean that course chalk is a good medium to draw landscapes -- quite the opposite, usually it isn't. You'd be limited to what your tricks can accomplish with it. Just because you CAN do it with that medium doesn't mean it's a good medium. Same with MS Paint, just because you CAN use MS Paint to create something like this, doesn't mean it's not outdated and in need of replacing...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-08-03, 16:20

Moonchild wrote:Just because you CAN do it with that medium doesn't mean it's a good medium.
I don't think that anyone will argue with you in that regard.
We've all used M$ Paint at one point or another, and everyone is fully aware of its limitations.
That's exactly what makes those exaples that I posted so damn impressive! :)

That being said, a lot of new software releases these days seems to be dumbed down versions of their predecessors.
Personally, for my drawing / image editing needs, I use Ulead PhotoImpact 10 (from 2004), which was the last really good version of that software.
It runs well in compatibility mode under Win8.1.
Of course, after Corel acquired the company, they completely destroyed Ulead's entire product line, turning everything into crap! :(

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-03, 16:36

Corel has been a bane for many good imaging software. Paint Shop Pro is another good example. After acquiring it, they made it into a photo editing/filtering PoS that barely has a reason to exist.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-08-04, 03:59

All your imaging belong to us. http://www122.lunapic.com/editor/

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-08-07, 01:57

Moonchild wrote:It's old, way overdue to be removed or replaced with something better. I don't understand why people make such a fuss about it, because it's expected, needed, and overdue to happen.
Since you don't own an Android phone you don't have a clear idea of the trouble: When you get a brand new Android, the phone has just bloatware and a handful of system apps, most of them are toys. So you must disable these (if possible) and look for the store in "try'n'test" fashion if some app can be an useful replace. This waste time and internet connection and eats up the memory space of the phone.

As I stated previously, not all people has internet connection so if the OS comes naked without any decent suite of apps, people just move to another OS or OS version that has it. An example: These laptops and tablets delivered on Elementary Schools in Latin America. Nice for the school and only for that, when school courses finish, kids and parents reformat them for install something useful. (aka pirated normal windows)

On this wave of Windows 10, MS didn't just removed Paint but Outlook and other basic apps. The danger here is that Windows 10 is starting to become a naked OS like Android, which forces people to get a nice Microsoft Account at cost of their privacy for the the "apps". Or force people to get cracks and hacks for install the programs by brute force.

Paint was just a poke to the public to see how they like or dislike the idea to "Androidify" Windows.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-07, 08:43

*headdesk* That's completely beside the point, Lyceus.
The fact that newly-included software with new operating systems might be "bloatware" has nothing to do with the fact that old software is old, and there's alternatives that are 1000x better. In other words: I'm not promoting their replacement (since I don't have any experience with what it is now, and it may suck), but I *do* say "good riddance" to the old old OLD MS Paint.
Heck, I could probably write an old MS Paint program in an afternoon if I wanted to, with how limited it is.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-08-07, 08:47

lyceus wrote: which forces people to get a nice Microsoft Account at cost of their privacy for the the "apps". Or force people to get cracks and hacks for install the programs by brute force.

In Linux you have an "App store." You just go to the icon, type in the name of a program and if it exists you can install it.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-08-09, 02:14

Off-topic:
John connor wrote:In Linux you have an "App store." You just go to the icon, type in the name of a program and if it exists you can install it.
I am aware that an "App store" its a convenient way for get programs, if the Android/iPhone App Stores were bad, these OSes were dead or replaced like Blackberry that didn't learned the lesson.

For offline users they can always go the way for made/get DVD compilations with the installs. But... The trouble here is that there is a version of Windows 10 that only allow App store installs: Windows 10S, so the bug question is that if this will be the future of Windows or not. This would force all users to be online always. But yes this out of the scope of the old paint app.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-08-09, 02:20

Moonchild wrote:*headdesk* [...]
Heck, I could probably write an old MS Paint program in an afternoon if I wanted to, with how limited it is.
Off-topic:
Stop doing these Jimmy Hendrix bang heads or you will break your desk. :mrgreen:
I would like to see some Moon Paint someday, anybody can beat the old Paint program indeed.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-09, 02:36

[quote="Moonchild"
Heck, I could probably write an old MS Paint program in an afternoon if I wanted to, with how limited it is.[/quote]
If you would write one for Linux, you would have my eternal gratitude. :mrgreen:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-08-09, 03:31

gracious1 wrote: If you would write one for Linux, you would have my eternal gratitude. :mrgreen:

Never heard of Gimp?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-09, 08:11

Off-topic:
John connor wrote:
gracious1 wrote: If you would write one for Linux, you would have my eternal gratitude. :mrgreen:
Never heard of Gimp?
ACK! Gimp is the spawn of the devil. :twisted:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-08-09, 09:37

gracious1 wrote:
Off-topic:
John connor wrote:
Never heard of Gimp?

Please explain.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-09, 11:31

Off-topic:
gracious1 wrote:If you would write one for Linux, you would have my eternal gratitude. :mrgreen:
Haha. No, not bloody likely. I don't have the expertise nor the desire to write something for X-based desktops with an unknown collection of system libraries. That would be much too involved.
Amen!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-09, 12:09

John connor wrote:All your imaging belong to us. http://www122.lunapic.com/editor/
Try https://pixlr.com/editor/ instead if you're serious about doing image work on-line.
(And yes, that's made in Flash. Yet another excellent reason to keep web browser plugins alive)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-08-12, 04:53

Off-topic:
John connor wrote:
gracious1 wrote:ACK! Gimp is the spawn of the devil. :twisted:

Please explain.
I can explain:
  • Do not offer today and never may offer support for CYMK, killing any workflow that needs photo, Pantone or match color impression.
  • Printer support is a joke, it prints Letter pages as the size of a postal stamp. You want to report the bug, its open since 2008, nobody cares. :wtf:
  • Metrics often need a ridiculous calibration of the monitor, which is destroyed if you upgrade the video driver.
  • They added support for a single window and toolbars after more of a decade, but the preferred setting is to chase the tools and settings inside dozens for small windows.
  • Layers, effects, filters, text are way different and sometimes look bad against these from Photoshop, Corel or another tools.
  • Rarely other tools open its native format, it's a bad idea use it for WIP work.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-08-13, 04:46

Interesting, thanks.