? Do you use another browser, then Pale Moon ?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Jørn Rudolph

Unread post by Jørn Rudolph » 2017-06-22, 14:34

Yes, as the question was :

Besides Pale Moon. I like Firefox ... The Best ..

I am using Linux Mint MATE

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: ? Do you use another browser, then Pale Moon ?

Unread post by adesh » 2017-06-22, 14:40

Starting 2017 Pale Moon is my only browser. If a site refuses to render properly, I immediately leave it. 8-)

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-06-22, 14:54

Well, i have Otter-Browser installed and also Maxthon - which i only use for pages which require newer web draft or standards goodies, as the Pale Moon team - because Pale Moon is a is a real fork with only a limited number of developers - is having a hard time in implementing them. ;)

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2017-06-22, 16:13

I always used one browser at a time (Mosaic - Netscape - Mozilla - Firefox - Pale Moon) although I usually kept the old one, or perhaps a couple of versions, around for a while just in case, but actually I ended up using the latest only.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-06-22, 16:38

Dont see the point in having more than one browser installed to be frank.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-06-22, 16:42

I run 64 bit Linux Mint 18.1 (Serena) distro with the Xfce desktop environment as my default (primary) distro operating system. Linux Mint installs the Firefox browser by default. I don't care for Firefox anymore, but it comes in handy every once and awhile. My default (primary) browser I use in Mint is 64 bit linux Pale Moon. My backup browser is 64 bit linux SeaMonkey.

Now for me, I don't have linux Pale Moon or linux Seamonkey installed in Linux Mint. I run both browsers from their executable files. This means these two browsers don't show up in my Mint menu under Internet so there isn't a launcher icon for them. I've learned how to create the launcher icons for both Pale Moon and SeaMonkey using gui windows. You can see these launcher icons if you go over to the General Discussion forum (which you are now in) and click on the last page of the topic, "What my Pale Moon looks like" and if you do, you'll see the launcher icons for both browsers on the right side of the Panel taskbar.

There are rare occasions where I've run across a few websites (and they are far and few inbetween when I'm surfing the internet) which don't render properly with either Pale Moon or SeaMonkey. This is the only time I use Firefox in Mint because these websites do cater to either windows Firefox or linux Firefox. And I don't get all bent out of shape if I have to use linux Firefox on these occasions. For me, these occasions amount to a "minor bump in the road".

My backup operating system is 64 bit Windows 7 which is on 4 hard drives since I've got 4 computers. Windows 7 comes installed with Internet Explorer, but I don't use Internet Explorer. I do have three other browsers installed and they are all 32 bit browsers. In Windows 7; Pale Moon as my default (primary) browser, SeaMonkey is my backup browser and Firefox is my alternate browser just in case a website doesn't render properly (again) with either Pale Moon or SeaMonkey.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-06-22, 16:50

I still have my trusty Opera 12 (Presto) and K-Meleon installations, both are portable setups so why not.

And they do have open in Pale Moon buttons.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-06-22, 17:08

I have some including Firefox, but the newest version of it (Firefox 54) always crashes unexpectedly after 5 minutes doing nothing. :lol:

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-06-22, 18:43

Pale Moon only.
x64 as main and x86 portable for test

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-06-22, 19:42

Pale Moon 27.3 x64 on all 3 Linux Manjaro machines (latest stable with latest kernel) as my go-to browser all day, every day (14+ hours in front of a monitor).

I keep Chromium for gotowebinar.com webinars since it will only work with Chromium if you want audio (makes me so...) and our html5 chat software which crashes javascript in 27.3 but not in the previous version.

Absolutely love the customization and speed of Pale Moon on Linux.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-06-22, 22:37

I use Pale Moon as my main browser but if a web site doesn't work I switch to another browser, mostly Firefox and Chromium but I have around 5 browsers to choose from.

wildbill5891
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by wildbill5891 » 2017-06-23, 00:09

I have Pale Moon, CyberFox, Waterfox, Firefox, and Internet Explorer all 64bit.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-06-23, 00:18

I have Firefox as my backup browser for now. I don't know what I'll do once version 57 hits. Probably switch to the ESR version, until that goes past 57. Then again, I haven't had to use FF for anything for quite a while now, probably months.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-06-23, 03:16

Jørn Rudolph wrote:Yes, as the question was :

I should put this on my signature as seems people do like to keep having this idea: You don't have only one screwdriver for all your needs, nor the same pen, nor the same key for all your doors. Alike with browsers you have your favorites because they work for you. Using another browser is not like cheat a husband or wife, is just because you need it. and nobody will be mad or sue you. :mrgreen:

I had been used: Mosaic, Minuet, Opera, Lynx, MSIE, Net Scape, Nestscape Navigator/Netscape Navigator Gold, Pale Moon, Safari, Chrome, Mozilla, Firefox, Blackberry Internet App, Dolphin... so May I apply for be a Browsermiscuous? :sick: :mrgreen: :lol:

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-06-23, 05:35

Jørn Rudolph wrote:Yes, as the question was :

My primary browser is Vivaldi these days. I use Pale Moon as a secondary for when Vivaldi doesn't render a page correctly from time to time.

One thing that surprised me is that I run into any incompatibilities at all with Vivaldi, given that it uses Chromium and Blink as a base, and that is basically what websites are designed to run on these days, but occasionally it happens- usually on form submissions or comment sections (Not saying most forms and or most comment sections- I am just saying that when it rarely does happen, that's where).

Actually, the combination of Pale Moon and Vivaldi seems like a good match regardless of which browser is the primary one and which browser is the secondary one. When I used Pale Moon as my primary browser, Vivaldi would get almost any site Pale Moon couldn't, and now Pale Moon gets almost any site Vivaldi can't.

If I had to guess as to what's going on with that, I would say that most likely the ones only Pale Moon can get were coded when Firefox had larger marketshare, are closer to the written web standards (As opposed to defacto "on the ground" standards dictated by Google), or are sites that recognize smaller browsers and send good pages for their user agent strings, whereas the things that only work on Vivaldi are more likely recently coded things done by sites that primarily write and test for Chrome and almost ignore everything else, or perhaps have fallbacks for smaller browsers that lack functionality (Vivaldi is small, too, but its got some of the right "magic words" in its user agent string so that most sites will recognize it as essentially Chrome, and are using essentially the same rendering engine, so it will render thingd written for Chrome that aren't official standards almost as well as Chrome does. They are reliant enough on Chromium that their release notes for new versions often mention which version of Chromium the new updates has been "upgraded" to, along with other Vivaldi specific things. A little digging on a change in the way domain certifications are displayed that I thought was a move in the opposite direction of where thing should be headed revealed that Vivaldi devs basically got caught flatfooted when they saw it in a new version of Chromium unexpectedly and just went with it because it would have delayed things not to, and they weren't sure they wanted to add it to the list of things they maintain by themselves and merge with Chromium code upon updates to either.).

That's just a guess about why some sites render better in one browser than the other, though. I do have to say that I've seen several times where the developers of Pale Moon have been pretty good about very reluctantly bending from their ideological leanings to incorporate the occasional Chrome-specific instruction into their rendering engine if absolutely necessary to keep their browser compatible with the modern web, as long as it doesn't compromise the browser's security, add DRM, or anything of that nature. They do stand by their principles, I think sometimes occasionally to the detriment of the browser to at least a small degree, but they also seem practical about understanding that ultimately a browser's purpose is to load websites and don't usually allow their principles to dominate useability to the point where it makes the browser impractical for average people to use.

Other than the obvious differences in philosophy, one interesting thing I've observed is how the two browsers seem to achieve some similiar ends using totally different processes. For example, both browsers seem to want to give users a lot of options and customizability instead of forcing all their users down the same path. One of the ways Pale Moon handles this is to keep the core browser relatively "skinny" while allowing extensions to have more power to make drastic chsnges than any major browser allows, including the use of complete themes. Vivaldi, with its more limited extension API that uses Chrome's AMO, works its customization options in primarily through pre-installed menu options, of which they have more than other browsers I've seen, that allow people to fine tune behavior and appearance to their liking with a lot of specificity.

Meanwhile, Firefox for Android is the only browser I use on my phone. Chrome has no add-ons or ad-blockers, and after that and Firefox, which has both, the pickings are slim. Its amazing there aren't more serious maintained mobile browsers than there are these days, considering that more people own smartphobes than PCs.

lunalupus

Unread post by lunalupus » 2017-06-23, 09:44

Pale Moon is my default browser but I recently installed Flashpeak Slimjet and found it an excellent alternative.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-06-23, 12:11

Primary Broswer - Pale Moon 27.3.0 (x64)
Back up Browser (very rarely needed) - FireFox

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-06-23, 13:42

lyceus wrote:Mozilla
Was there "Mozilla" web browser?

treego14

Unread post by treego14 » 2017-06-24, 03:03

My backup browsers in preferred order are as follows:

-Opera (current version using Chromium/Blink)
-Vivaldi
-Chrome

I do not use Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Edge.

I have experimented with Otter and Slimjet in the past few years.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-06-24, 04:25

Latitude wrote:
lyceus wrote:Mozilla
Was there "Mozilla" web browser?
There was one before Firefox, but I checked that is not mozilla. In these ages I was using a SGI Indy workstation and had wonky apps.