? Do you use another browser, then Pale Moon ?

General discussion and chat (archived)
lyceus

Re: ? Do you use another browser, then Pale Moon ?

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-07-25, 04:40

Latitude wrote: Do you sync your backup files to the cloud?
Off-topic:
Lyceus, do you join IRC channel of Pale Moon?
Off-topic:
No, cloud is just a HDD lean or rented which is just useful if you have a fast and reliable Internet connection everywhere. Which is not my case. I just transfer files among PCs using cloud but I don't count them as safe until they are burn in a DVD plastic.
Off-topic:
No, I used to co-own one of the first IRC chats in the univeristy where I did work circa 1996, but I just stopped to use it around 2002. Telnet is a bad idea and I am lazy for get a decent Windows client. I am more a Twitter critter nowadays.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-28, 09:57

Night Wing wrote:
Tomaso wrote:BTW; Although not announced yet, SeaMonkey v2.48 Final is available on the official servers now:
That is good news. Looks like I'll have to fly on over there and grab me the installers for both linux and windows.

Thanks for the heads up.
SeaMonkey v2.48 has been up on the official servers for a week now.
..but still the developers haven't updated the homepage with any info on it, or even bothered to mention it in their blog.
I fear that their next announcement will be a "thanks and farwell". :(

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-07-28, 10:29

Tomaso wrote:Thanks for the heads up.
SeaMonkey v2.48 has been up on the official servers for a week now.
..but still the developers haven't updated the homepage with any info on it, or even bothered to mention it in their blog.[/quote]

The reason why the developers haven't updated the SM homepage is in the link below. Seems SM 2.48 still has a glitch in it.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3031612
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-31, 14:27

Night Wing wrote:The reason why the developers haven't updated the SM homepage is in the link below. Seems SM 2.48 still has a glitch in it.
It has been officially announced now, but it's the same build as before.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-07-31, 14:40

SeaMonkey 2.48 has now officially been released for both windows and linux so if anyone uses SeaMonkey as a backup browser to Pale Moon you can now go download it.

I've installed 32 bit SeaMonkey 2.48 in 64 bit Windows 7 and 64 bit linux SeaMonkey 2.48 in 64 bit linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) Xfce and both windows and linux versions run like a champ without any problems for me.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-24, 05:30

Sajadi wrote:Well, i have Otter-Browser installed and also Maxthon - which i only use for pages which require newer web draft or standards goodies, as the Pale Moon team - because Pale Moon is a is a real fork with only a limited number of developers - is having a hard time in implementing them. ;)
Careful with Maxthon.

This is some of what Wikipedia says about Maxthon:
Data privacy issues

In 2016, computer security researchers from Fidelis Cybersecurity and Exatel discovered the browser surreptitiously sending sensitive browsing and system data, such as ad blocker status, websites visited, searches conducted, and applications installed with their version numbers, to remote servers located in Beijing, China. According to Maxthon, the data is sent as part of the firm's 'User Experience Improvement Program' and it is "voluntary and totally anonymous." However, researchers found the data still being collected and sent to remote servers even after users explicitly opt-out of the program. The researchers further found the data being sent over an unencrypted connection (HTTP), leaving users vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-24, 05:43

Latitude wrote:
lyceus wrote:Mozilla
Was there "Mozilla" web browser?
I think there was/is but is not maintained anymore since beginning of this century (has been replaced with Firefox I guess).

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-09-24, 06:18

The only reason I still use firefox (56 or Nightly) is container tabs feature, but PM is my main browser.
After so many years of torture Mozilla has failed to build a speedy(claimed) browser, PM is still faster than 57 (slightly but visible) and 56/57 have problems with playing 60fps HD videos. And at least for me the PaleMoon UI is more friendly for my eyes. No more talking about addons.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-24, 06:49

Tomaso wrote:
lyceus wrote:There was a mozilla brand browser!

:)
Wow.

:lol:

That's one hell of a concept behind a browser! And I guess this old splash screen was showing it well...

It's a bit strange though, and I wonder why the original Mozilla developers gave their product a logo and concept like this, in a time when conspirary theories related to reptilians were and are flourishing on the net!

Just musing a bit, of course.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-24, 07:28

dapgo wrote:I love the concept of Basilisk, and i will support it.
There so many things that XUL addins do and chrome extensions cannot that even I can´t think even about moving out from gecko/XUL

helloimustbegoing wrote:When Basilisk lands, that will be my backup browser (I'm planning on that anyway).
Then the question begs to be asked: why did Opera change to using chrome extensions now?

I suppose they felt forced to do so for technical reasons?

It seems a loss at any rate.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-24, 07:45

Tomaso wrote:
Night Wing wrote:I went with SeaMonkey.
That's my backup browser too. :)

Regarding Android; almost every browser suck!
My father has got a Android tablet that I've been helping him out with..
The newest, most decent browser that I've found for it, is Opera v37.0:
http://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/android/3700/
Newer Opera versions sucks as much as any other browser!
I have used Seamonkey a bit some time ago, just trying it out in fact. It seemed pretty good - much like Firefox as another poster said but with more options.

However I just took a look into the Seamonkey website and read a bit here and there, and I wonder now if Seamonkey isn't going to be a dead-end.

I can't go into this in detail here and now but those who are interested, read the release notes for vs. 2.46, the known issues. I got the impression there seems to be a lack of professionalism (I know, Seamonkey is a volunteer project) but it seemed to me several of the mentioned bugs would have moved me to wait until they were resolved before releasing a new version at all (mentioning one, "setting the default search engine no longer works").

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-09-24, 17:35

Donotfillintheblank wrote: Careful with Maxthon.
As i do not use it to store passwords and only for some streaming websites without logging in, i see that as no issue.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-09-27, 07:12

Tried Waterfox. Uninstalled it immediately because texts on browser UI & websites are still blurry despite unchecking Hardware Acceleration. This contrasts the rendered texts in Pale Moon which is always clear & readable.

Placebo

Unread post by Placebo » 2017-09-27, 14:48

Only other one I use is Chrome sometimes because I live in Portugal but don't speak Portugese and sometimes the S3 google translator addon in Pale Moon doesn't translate a website (I guess due to frames or similar) properly.

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2017-09-29, 06:37

I use and love SeaMonkey, though with web-extensions looming on the horizon, the future is uncertain. I may move to using Pale Moon as my default browser, should web Extensions do major damage to my ability to use SeaMonkey. I also sometimes use Nightly (with only one tab process) because the speed of Quantum and Stylo. (mainly when browsing Gaia Online, or because the scrolling feels so satisfying) I hate that it clutters my process list, though.

I once upon a time used Firefox as my default browser. I used it through some version after 29, but eventually I got so tired of the constant changes, and constant removal of things, I switched to SeaMonkey. (Which is run by VERY conservative people, so I shouldn't expect SM to change. Additionally, I love how SeaMonkey has so many options in the gui, and settings per toolbar) (I use tabs on bottom. I often use either a theme or a style to add (hack) the little border under them back)

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2017-09-29, 20:36

Donotfillintheblank wrote:
There so many things that XUL addins do and chrome extensions cannot that even I can´t think even about moving out from gecko/XUL

helloimustbegoing wrote:When Basilisk lands, that will be my backup browser (I'm planning on that anyway).
Then the question begs to be asked: why did Opera change to using chrome extensions now?

Because they switched from their fancy presto engine to your average boring "blink" engine. Hence why I often call it ChrOpera. That is also why so many features, such as the sweet visual gestures, were removed. Probably why Opera no longer has real themes, too. Shame, because presto is so nice, and opera 12's interface is the smoothest interface of any browser I've ever seen. (and the "drag tabs together" feature is nice, too.) And it renders simple pages really fast.

(Also, opera was the original "tabs on top" browser. As far as I know, at least. Can't find any other before 2005-2006)

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-29, 23:29

Sajadi wrote:
Donotfillintheblank wrote: Careful with Maxthon.
As i do not use it to store passwords and only for some streaming websites without logging in, i see that as no issue.
Oh good then.

:mrgreen:

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-29, 23:44

RexyDallas wrote:I once upon a time used Firefox as my default browser. I used it through some version after 29, but eventually I got so tired of the constant changes, and constant removal of things, I switched to SeaMonkey. (Which is run by VERY conservative people, so I shouldn't expect SM to change. Additionally, I love how SeaMonkey has so many options in the gui, and settings per toolbar) (I use tabs on bottom. I often use either a theme or a style to add (hack) the little border under them back)
The large number of options retained in Seamonkey is one of its best features as you don't have to fiddle around with so many add-ons which also constantly are demanding for attention.

Some would say this is not a feature but a flaw and it is preferable to keep the browser itself minimal (I think Pale Moon itself belongs to that school? Nevertheless, it is working out well the way it is).

I started to distrust Firefox when, I think it was in 2009, suddenly its new versions started to roll off the assembly line like cans of Coke (I remember they had switched to nightly builds called "Aurora") and from version 7 or 8 or something like that in a very short time it went to 20, 25,... don't even remember. I thought that was weird, I don't see the reasoning behind this.

And one other thing in particular which was annoying was its huge memory requirement. I noticed this could easily go up to 1 GB RAM and more.

Firefox is still an important browser but I don't rely on it anymore as I once did.

Pale Moon now has got my full attention and I have started using it more than a year ago I think.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-30, 00:00

RexyDallas wrote:
Donotfillintheblank wrote:

Because they switched from their fancy presto engine to your average boring "blink" engine. Hence why I often call it ChrOpera. That is also why so many features, such as the sweet visual gestures, were removed. Probably why Opera no longer has real themes, too. Shame, because presto is so nice, and opera 12's interface is the smoothest interface of any browser I've ever seen. (and the "drag tabs together" feature is nice, too.) And it renders simple pages really fast.

(Also, opera was the original "tabs on top" browser. As far as I know, at least. Can't find any other before 2005-2006)
Okay.... then the question begs to be asked: why did Opera change from presto to blink?

Yes, I too liked Opera very much. Especially its early versions. I remember other interesting features, such as a button which got you instantly all the links in a webpage neatly listed; or the option of setting the background color of your browser window. Also, I like the old Opera way of presenting and handling newsfeeds (I even wonder if the possibility of reading all those articles while in the newsfeed tab itself in minimalistic format, without even actually having to open any website, and so making it possible to avoid any and all advertisements, wasn't something which was simply too good to be kept up).

But speaking of themes, Firefox and Icecat do have a great choice of themes. I don't know about Pale Moon, I suppose it is using basically mostly the same ones.

:coffee:

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-09-30, 01:35

RexyDallas wrote:I use and love SeaMonkey, though with web-extensions looming on the horizon, the future is uncertain. I may move to using Pale Moon as my default browser, should web Extensions do major damage to my ability to use SeaMonkey. I also sometimes use Nightly (with only one tab process) because the speed of Quantum and Stylo. (mainly when browsing Gaia Online, or because the scrolling feels so satisfying)
That Firefox build may be its version of Windows 7 beta build 7000! I remember Windows 7 beta build 7000 back in January, 2009, IIRC, and it was super fast, even with just a lower end Core 2! But, ironically, post-beta Windows 7 was slower, IIRC. :(