? Do you use another browser, then Pale Moon ?

General discussion and chat (archived)
dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: ? Do you use another browser, then Pale Moon ?

Unread post by dapgo » 2017-07-21, 08:31

Besides Palemoon 26 and 27

When i have problems with pages I used
Opera 46 (chromium)
Opera 30 (chromium with NPAPI and java)
Firefox 12 (old but compatible with quite a lot of add-ins)
Firefox 46 (new but too heavy and wiyh australis UI)

I prefer Opera hundred times over Chrome, I wouldn't mind to replace Opera by a Opensource chromium browser, but which?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-07-21, 10:44

dapgo wrote:I prefer Opera hundred times over Chrome, I wouldn't mind to replace Opera by a Opensource chromium browser, but which?
Off-topic:
If you want a chromium type browser as a backup to Pale Moon, if you're using Windows, then I would suggest using the "official" Chromium browser at the link below. The only caveat, it only comes in a 64 bit version.

https://chromium.woolyss.com/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-21, 11:45

Night Wing wrote:
dapgo wrote:I prefer Opera hundred times over Chrome, I wouldn't mind to replace Opera by a Opensource chromium browser, but which?
Off-topic:
If you want a chromium type browser as a backup to Pale Moon, if you're using Windows, then I would suggest using the "official" Chromium browser at the link below. The only caveat, it only comes in a 64 bit version.

..or 'SRWare Iron' perhaps?:
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2017-07-21, 12:41

thanks
pretty interesting the Chromium build 45.0.2416.0 (331982) ; last version which still has NPAPI plugin
Night Wing wrote:
Off-topic:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-07-21, 13:30

Off-topic:
Looks like I made a small error. By scrolling down the page in the lnk, the Chromium browser does come in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Since Chromium is open source, it is a good backup browser to Pale Moon.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-21, 13:45

Night Wing wrote:
Off-topic:
Since Chromium is open source, it is a good backup browser to Pale Moon.
Off-topic:
Android is also open source. :lol: And so is Firefox!
I would not recommend Chromium to anyone who cares a little bit about privacy and security. Firefox seems to be slightly better here. :P

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-07-21, 14:32

adesh wrote:
Night Wing wrote:
Off-topic:
Since Chromium is open source, it is a good backup browser to Pale Moon.
Off-topic:
Android is also open source. :lol: And so is Firefox!
I would not recommend Chromium to anyone who cares a little bit about privacy and security. Firefox seems to be slightly better here. :P
Off-topic:
When it comes to Android, that depends on what device one is using. I use 2 desktop tower computers and 2 laptop computers. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but Android is not made for Desktop Tower or Laptop computers. And I do not own a smartphone. Just an old fashioned 7 year old flip cell phone that is not connected to the internet by my own choice. I'm not a cell or smartphone type of person. My cell phone bill for the amount of minutes I used for the month of June was a grand total of "4 minutes". I also do not own a tablet.

When it came down to privacy for a backup browser to Pale Moon, instead of Firefox, I went with SeaMonkey. As an added bonus, customization wise within the browser, SeaMonkey is more customizable out of the box than Firefox is. As they say, "pick your own poison". ;)

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-21, 14:43

Night Wing wrote:I went with SeaMonkey.
That's my backup browser too. :)

Regarding Android; almost every browser suck!
My father has got a Android tablet that I've been helping him out with..
The newest, most decent browser that I've found for it, is Opera v37.0:
http://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/android/3700/
Newer Opera versions sucks as much as any other browser!

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-07-22, 03:35

Latitude wrote:
lyceus wrote:Mozilla
Was there "Mozilla" web browser?
Sorry for necroposting but yes! There was a mozilla brand browser! :o :o :o Found it in my CD16 backup...

Code: Select all

j:\u16\programas\internet\mozilla 1.0
   j:\u16\programas\internet\mozilla 1.1
   j:\u16\programas\internet\mozilla 1.2.1

j:\u16\programas\internet\mozilla 1.0
   ====================================
   flashplayer6installer.exe                                                      512 KB   06/06/2002 05:35:08 PM      r 
   j2re-1_4_0_01-windows-i586.exe                                                9169 KB   07/06/2002 03:36:02 PM      r 
   mozilla-win32-1.0-installer.exe                                              10633 KB   06/06/2002 12:43:02 PM      r 
   shockwaveinstaller.exe                                                         488 KB   06/06/2002 05:35:20 PM      r 

Total 4 file(s);  Size: 21303096 Byte(s)

j:\u16\programas\internet\mozilla 1.1
   ====================================
   jre131i.xpi                                                                   7795 KB   27/08/2002 11:11:02 AM      r 
   mozilla-win32-1.1-installer.exe                                              10853 KB   27/08/2002 11:14:40 AM      r 
   shockwaveinstaller-8.5.1.exe                                                   488 KB   27/08/2002 11:46:22 AM      r 

Total 3 file(s);  Size: 19596881 Byte(s)

j:\u16\programas\internet\mozilla 1.2.1
   ======================================
   mozilla-win32-1.2.1-installer.exe                                            11221 KB   03/12/2002 11:09:44 AM      r 
   mozilla-win32-1.2-installer.exe                                              11073 KB   27/11/2002 11:50:10 AM      r 

Total 2 file(s);  Size: 22830496 Byte(s)

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-07-22, 09:36

I think that's the Mozilla Suite formed during the time when Netscape open sourced the Communicator code, and the predecessor of SeaMonkey (if I'm not mistaken).

Regarding the topic, I use Pale Moon exclusively for PC (in the past, Firefox was the backup but ever since PM27 came, stopped using it), and syncs it with an Android phone using PM4A even though it is no longer maintained since with that, I can still look up my history & bookmarks even if I'm away from my PC.
Last edited by FranklinDM on 2017-07-22, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-07-22, 09:38

lyceus wrote: You don't have only one screwdriver for all your needs, nor the same pen, nor the same key for all your doors. Alike with browsers you have your favorites because they work for you. Using another browser is not like cheat a husband or wife, is just because you need it. and nobody will be mad or sue you. :mrgreen:
That's a very good analogy.
lyceus wrote: I had been used: Mosaic, Minuet, Opera, Lynx, MSIE, Net Scape, Nestscape Navigator/Netscape Navigator Gold, Pale Moon, Safari, Chrome, Mozilla, Firefox, Blackberry Internet App, Dolphin... so May I apply for be a Browsermiscuous? :sick: :mrgreen: :lol:
:D I guess I am browsermiscuous, too! :shh: :mrgreen:
I have used Mosaic & Netscape & even IE :sick:
On Macs I have used Safari, TenFourFox, Camino, & Omniweb for different web sites.
On this Ubuntu laptop on which I am writing to you now, I have Pale Moon, Firefox, Chromium, Opera (opera-stable package), SeaMonkey, Uzbl, Xombrero, Midori, and Lynx. Unfortunately, Lynx has become almost unusable. :( I don't really use Xombrero, Uzbl, or Midori much anymore, either. Nor do I use Chromium, with one exception; there are a couple of credit card websites that I just couldn't get to work. (I don't mean major credit cards; these are minor ones, rather like department store cards.) But I got them work with Opera, so I guess Chromium can go back in the dungeon.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-07-22, 12:27

lyceus wrote: Sorry for necroposting but yes! There was a mozilla brand browser! :o :o :o Found it in my CD16 backup...
Wow, how many backup CDs do you have?

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-22, 16:34

lyceus wrote:There was a mozilla brand browser!

:)

--

BTW; Although not announced yet, SeaMonkey v2.48 Final is available on the official servers now:
http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/sea ... ases/2.48/
http://download-origin.cdn.mozilla.net/ ... ases/2.48/

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-07-22, 17:30

Tomaso wrote:BTW; Although not announced yet, SeaMonkey v2.48 Final is available on the official servers now:
That is good news. Looks like I'll have to fly on over there and grab me the installers for both linux and windows.

Thanks for the heads up.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-07-23, 04:40

Latitude wrote:
lyceus wrote: Sorry for necroposting but yes! There was a mozilla brand browser! :o :o :o Found it in my CD16 backup...
Wow, how many backup CDs do you have?
Poor mans' backup system is CD or DVD. Not money for a fancy tape or RAID system. Last time I used a CD for backup was the #62 then I moved to DVD. Copied the CDs onto DVD, now I am around the #50 counting all series (MSDOS, IRIX, Windows 3.11-98 SE, Windows XP-7).

These series are a "pseudo-RAID" system, 3 copies on different brand if possible. One is the working copy, if busted the 2 remaining are used for create a new working copy.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-07-24, 00:38

lyceus wrote:
Poor mans' backup system is CD or DVD. Not money for a fancy tape or RAID system. Last time I used a CD for backup was the #62 then I moved to DVD. Copied the CDs onto DVD, now I am around the #50 counting all series (MSDOS, IRIX, Windows 3.11-98 SE, Windows XP-7).

These series are a "pseudo-RAID" system, 3 copies on different brand if possible. One is the working copy, if busted the 2 remaining are used for create a new working copy.
Do you sync your backup files to the cloud?
Off-topic:
Lyceus, do you join IRC channel of Pale Moon?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-07-24, 00:49

When Basilisk lands, that will be my backup browser (I'm planning on that anyway).

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2017-07-24, 08:27

I love the concept of Basilisk, and i will support it.
There so many things that XUL addins do and chrome extensions cannot that even I can´t think even about moving out from gecko/XUL

helloimustbegoing wrote:When Basilisk lands, that will be my backup browser (I'm planning on that anyway).

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-24, 15:11

helloimustbegoing wrote:When Basilisk lands, that will be my backup browser (I'm planning on that anyway).
I think that the Australis interface will be a huge game breaker for a lot of people though.
It's probably the most hated interface in history, and it's a shame that users have to install bloated extensions (like 'Classic Theme Restorer) to get around it.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-07-24, 22:21

Tomaso wrote:
. . . it's a shame that users have to install bloated extensions (like 'Classic Theme Restorer) to get around it.
I already have to do that with Firefox, so it makes no difference to me.