? Do you use another browser, then Pale Moon ?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Donotfillintheblank

Re: ? Do you use another browser, then Pale Moon ?

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-01, 11:38

petrus wrote:I still have my trusty Opera 12 (Presto) and K-Meleon installations, both are portable setups so why not.

And they do have open in Pale Moon buttons.
I didn't know there were other people around apart from myself, still using Opera 12.

I use it in its "Opera Next" shape (for no particular reason I guess, just always used this for years). It seems to be the same, to all intents and purposes, as 12.16 proper.

Strangely, it works better in some respects than the recent Opera versions - e.g. the games on zone.msn.com work with 12.16 (just using "out of the box", without even any extensions installed), while the new versions ask me to install flash!

Used K-Meleon alternatively with other browsers on Windows, never on Linux. It worked well, don't remember having any issue with it.

Have been trying Vivaldi for a little while (on Windows) but at one particular point I found all my data had disappeared (bookmarks, tabs, history) and abandoned it from that time. I didn't care much for its looks either (particularly the tabs - they are the same as the new Opera BTW).

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-01, 11:46

One particular thing I am worried about related to Opera 12.16 however is its security. Obviously it is not up to date with this as it would use outdated versions of the ssl-related software, and possibly there are other issues of which I am not sure about.

I also noticed it consistently stores cookies from some third-party sites such as rubiconproject and a few others (always the same ones), even though I always tell it to accept only first-party cookies. I think Google might be causing this in some way, making Opera think they are first-party cookies in some way.

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2017-10-01, 18:32

I was using firefox but I found that FF is a huge memory hog, that is the reason that I switched to PM. I just wish more FF add-ons worked for PM. I also have use Opera but slowly weening myself out of that one. And I am playing around with Slimjet. Slimjet is a spin-off of Chrome like PM is a spin off of FF. The main thing I like about SJ is it also uses less memory than Chrome, and uses ALL the chrome add-ons. It just does not have some of the add-ons that I like that PM does.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2017-10-04, 01:23

Pale Moon has almost been my only browser on Windows, Linuxes and portable for the last few years, except because early bugs and for testing things I also used a very outdated Firefox. Some months ago I needed to watch online TV, but as some of the local media sites obviously geo-block my EN version of Pale Moon now, I quickly installed a localised 52.x EME-free Firefox to just watch TV sometimes. I know there might be other options to make it work in PM, but as I rarely watch TV, I don't care so much. FF is more a TV viewer, not my browser.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-10-04, 07:37

faithbuilders wrote:I was using firefox but I found that FF is a huge memory hog, that is the reason that I switched to PM. I just wish more FF add-ons worked for PM. I also have use Opera but slowly weening myself out of that one. And I am playing around with Slimjet. Slimjet is a spin-off of Chrome like PM is a spin off of FF. The main thing I like about SJ is it also uses less memory than Chrome, and uses ALL the chrome add-ons. It just does not have some of the add-ons that I like that PM does.
I tried Slimjet but what I hated was installation with Chinese characters which I couldn't understand. Why not use English instead?

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2017-10-04, 14:02

Strange, I have no issue with that, it was all English for me :eh:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-27, 14:48

QuaidEazam wrote:Pale moon is for my personal use. oficially i am using TOR browser which is the best and secured browser in the world.
That's your opinion. TOR browser is on the same level as Firefox, but then with a few crippling extra patches that supposedly help with tracking/anonymity. Unfortunately, it's been proven that the TOR network itself is not as safe as you may think.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-10-28, 09:44

The Tor/Onion network WILL slow down your internet speed and using a VPN along with Tor will most probably slow your speed even more. It's a sacrifice you pay for privacy.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-10-28, 10:22

begs the question why do you need that level of privacy.?
if anything i would of thought it would make you stick out like a sore thumb using TOR.
Tor may have privacy benefits but i dont think its secure as it uses an old firefox code.

Using TOR is not needed in my opinion and if i recall correctly the exit nodes are not encrypted.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Avari

Unread post by Avari » 2017-10-28, 11:49

PaleMoon is my only browser.

Firefox was my backup-browser, but I deleted FF since their Cliqz-"Experiment". Should I ever need (or test) another browser, i will do this in a virtual machine. I am very happy atm with PaleMoon and try to convince friends and family to switch. The casual users are lost to chrome/chromium, but the more advanced are openminded.

cheekibreeki

Unread post by cheekibreeki » 2017-10-28, 11:50

TOR browser can be PIA, some of the built in fingerprinting 'resistors' breaking legit sites etc. The relay networks itself is so slow, I couldn't see myself ever using it for browsing on daily basis. And imo in the end you can't trust 100% on any third party (browser, vpn, tor, whatnot) to protect you or your privacy. Anything can be logged and sniffed, so best way is to act accordingly or unplug the cable.

And to answer the topic: I have FF ESR as a backup browser, but it's basically collecting dust.

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2017-11-03, 06:13

I was looking, or should I say re-looking at FireFox - I like(ed) there addons, but now, all my fav are no longer usable :evil: So I will stick with Pale Moon thank you very much :thumbup: And now it was nice to read that your addon team it growing :clap: very cool, exited to see what is in store for Pale Moon ----- Just please don't follow after FireFox.

BTW: do you take requests for making addons?

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-03-07, 01:49

Pale Moon still works in Windows Vista. P.M. version currently is 27.8.0.
Other browsers I use, BECAUSE they also work well enough in Windows Vista:
Opera version 36
Vivaldi version 1.0.4xx.??? -forgot the exact version number,

...but niether of the two are the CURRENT versions of those products. They are just the most recent versions which will work in Vista. They do not respond slowly. All three of these, Pale Moon, Opera, and Vivaldi, have a few minor problems, but they are fast enough compared to the more typical name brand popular ones.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-03-07, 02:14

Moonraker wrote:Dont see the point in having more than one browser installed to be frank.
I do. As a web developer, whether testing web sites or CMS plugins, it is so much easier using one browser for the admin accounts and then using another browser for the user experience. Also, one needs to check that pages look good in all browsers.

Even if not a developer, managing extra Gmail accounts, YouTube, Ebay etc is less frustrating when each browser remembers the login details.
Last edited by Pelican on 2018-03-07, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.