How do you know about Pale Moon for the first time?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-06-12, 13:13

From another tech forum, comments section of tech sites, search engine's results resulted by entering certain query, internet ads, a friend in IRL or what?

I want to know especially from the first generation of Pale Moon users (the 2009/2010 generation - before everyone knew the name "Australis" and its controversy existed.)

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: How do you know about Pale Moon for the first time?

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-06-12, 14:08

After becoming totally fed up with FF started searching google search for an alternative and found PM.
This was late 2010 but did not start using PM as my primary browser until late March 2011.
Can't remember the version I was using then. :thumbup:
I was primarily looking for a portable browser since a house fire took all my computers
but I still had access to an HP laptop I could use on a regular basis.

Bill
Last edited by billmcct on 2017-06-12, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-06-12, 14:11

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... b_browsers

Starting 2017, Pale Moon is my primary browser - I don't have a secondary browser :lol:.
Fed up of Firefox slowness (also having issues with the direction, philosphy etc.), I was looking for a browser which is both fast and feature-rich at the same time. Initially I was reluctant to give it a try but now I'm glad I did. Pale Moon came as a new year gift to me. :D

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2017-06-12, 14:40

I am one of the middle generation (Palemoon-wise, otherwise older :mrgreen: ) i.e. I encountered a citation of palemoon in some mozilla-related blog when I was complaining about Australis, which I encountered by chance when my good old OS-bundled FF was updated by FF 31 (I believe) because I inadvertently gave OK to the update.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-06-12, 14:51

I found windows Pale Moon when it was at version 4.0 on a YouTube video back in (I think) the year 2011.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-06-12, 15:02

I was using FF and wasn't looking for a replacement. I found Pale Moon by accident, on the majorgeeks site. Its description on that site intrigued me, so I tried it and it quickly became my main browser. This was back in either 2011 or 2012; probably early 2012.

wyMnNHXB

Unread post by wyMnNHXB » 2017-06-12, 15:05

I had been knowing about Pale Moon for a long time, but it was just a "rebuilt Firefox" for me. However, after Mozilla decided that they are going full retarChrome (deprecation of powerful extensions), I switched immediately.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-06-12, 16:33

After staying as long as i could with Firefox Aurora 22 i made the switch at some point in 2014 if i remember correctly :think:

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-06-12, 16:55

I used Firefox for a long time. It was really the option. Then eventually Google released the Chrome browser. Everyone said it was fast, performance was its draw, and I thought I might as well try it.

I didn't particularly like it more, but I wanted to give it a chance as it was new, and so kept using it. It held all my bookmarks and eventually was just the browser I used. But I got frustrated with it. Stability was bad, and I noticed despite the fast rendering that the browser would bog down easily after a lot of use and was giving performance problems requiring the browser to be restarted every so often. I was upset by the amount of RAM usage as well, and did not like the multiple process model. Eventually I couldn't take the stability and performance issues anymore, which never did get fixed (and even worsened), and decided I would try going back to Firefox who had always treated me well.

Firefox was still installed but hadn't been opened in many years. When I finally did, it asked to update. After the update completed I was immediately greeted with Australis. I looked around for a bit and decided pretty quickly that if I was going to use Chrome, it isn't going to be the knock off Chrome but the real thing. So I quickly closed the upsetting Firefox and went back to Chrome for another long time.

Chrome had more than plenty of time to fix its problems and get better, but it never did. Eventually after still being frustrated so much with Chrome, I decided that I had gotten upset with Firefox and haven't really given it a proper chance. I decided I would try for real, and make sure I use it for a while before making any decision. It was more stable, performed just as well, used less RAM, and had the good old about:config. It was simply better, and I realized I was really wasting my time with Chrome, and only using it because people said it was the best performing and overall best browser and everyone else had switched to it. Firefox was actually easily the better choice, and I called it my browser again.

But I still wasn't happy with it. The reasons I gave up on it so quickly before remained, and it had become a bloated shadow of its former self. I knew Waterfox existed, but saw that it wasn't what I was looking for. But it made me wonder what other Firefox rebuilds there could be, and if one of them could offer a more lightweight and less needlessly Chromified experience. So I searched the internet and found Pale Moon looked like the best option, which was probably around 2014?

After installing Pale Moon, it was pretty clear that it was what I was looking for. It has a great design philosophy and was exactly what I was hoping for. I have no need to keep looking as long as the project lives. And now other people don't have to search when I tell them about it (provided they actually care about their browsing experience).

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-06-12, 17:15

A bit over two years for me 2015. I held on to FF 12 until things started breaking.
Tried to update to pre 29 and hated it.
I saw the direction FF was going and wanted nothing doing.

Started looking for a new browser and found PM by search engines and folks talking about it. Never looked back.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-06-12, 17:42

I made the switch from FF 28 to Pale moon a couple of months after Australis was officially released. I found out about P M on the Mozilla site where unhappy FF users had posted suggestions for acceptable alternatives to FF at that time. I still have a copy of FF 28 on my PC but have not used it now for many months. Any problems I had on specific sites with P M were all fixed when I updated Pale Moon first to 27.2 and then 27.3.

I cannot imagine ever using IE or FF again, I have never used Chrome, or things forked therefrom, and I have never owned anything Apple. I will never use Edge since Windows 10 is not a possibility for me. At this point in time there is really no other realistic option in browsers for me besides Pale Moon.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

codeM02

Unread post by codeM02 » 2017-06-13, 05:43

adesh wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... b_browsers

Starting 2017, Pale Moon is my primary browser - I don't have a secondary browser :lol:.
Fed up of Firefox slowness (also having issues with the direction, philosphy etc.), I was looking for a browser which is both fast and feature-rich at the same time. Initially I was reluctant to give it a try but now I'm glad I did. Pale Moon came as a new year gift to me. :D
Thinking of switching totally as well, if only I don't need those useful add ons on FF.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2017-06-13, 08:13

If I remember correctly, I found out about Pale Moon while looking up 64 bit rebuilds of Firefox. Why I chose Pale Moon over Waterfox or Cyberfox, I don't know. It's been too long. I did consider them, but for whatever reason, Pale Moon felt right. I'm not even sure when I switched, but I know it was a little before version 24 so likely in 2013.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-06-13, 08:32

Grrouch! I feel old I am generation 0 of Pale Moon (from first beta tests in private dropbox folder) :mrgreen:

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-06-13, 09:43

I used Firefox as my main browser since version 1.5 / 2006, but at various points of dissatisfaction - Autralis, for example - had looked into possible alternatives and found Pale Moon. I swapped over when it became obvious in 2015 that Firefox really were determined to wreck their browser.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

d3v14n7

Unread post by d3v14n7 » 2017-06-13, 11:13

Pretty much what Falna said, but I didn't know about it at first and ended up using WaterFox with my WinXP Pro x64 for a while.

flaxthejute
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by flaxthejute » 2017-06-13, 14:05

Like a few other people here, I was a refugee from Opera when it chromified and Pale Moon gave me the speed that Opera 12 had. It helped that I was able to (mostly) recreate the Opera experience with add-ons.

TechnoLurker
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by TechnoLurker » 2017-06-13, 15:19

Have been using Pale Moon as my primary browser at home and work since the early part of 2017. I am also a refugee of FF since they decided to move away from their current XUL-based add-ons. I use Vivaldi as a secondary browser.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2017-06-13, 16:14

I've been using Pale Moon since late 2009 early 2010 when a character (satrow) made a post about a new browser in the MajorGeeks software forum. Tried it and never looked back.
I had switched from Fx to Opera a few months before that.

Thanks for the alert satrow.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-06-13, 18:01

i saw it used in some of vwestlife's videos