How do you know about Pale Moon for the first time?

General discussion and chat (archived)
codeM02

Re: How do you know about Pale Moon for the first time?

Unread post by codeM02 » 2017-06-14, 03:21

I found out about PM on buddy's pc and I got good impression!

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-06-16, 11:28

lyceus wrote:Grrouch! I feel old I am generation 0 of Pale Moon (from first beta tests in private dropbox folder) :mrgreen:
Do you know it first from a thread in MZ?

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2017-06-16, 17:00

:evil: :evil: :evil: 20 March, 2014 ... a day that will live ... in infamy ... :evil: :evil: :evil:

That was the day that Mozilla released Australis to Beta.
That was the day that the upgrade totally blew out my profile - my carefully crafted, everything in it's place profile that I spent years tweaking.
That was the day that a full three quarters of my add-ons failed.
That was the day that my browser interface was completely gutted.

I recovered as much of my profile as I could (I had not really backed it up :( ) and switched to Firefox Stable that day so that I could keep working but I could read the writing on the wall - I knew that Firefox and I were about to part company.

That was the day I started my search for a new browser.

I tried a lot of different browsers. IE was standard at my place of employment, so I poked at that for awhile. I looked at Opera - didn't care for it much. Didn't like the threat of having my every move tracked by Google so Chrome was out. I tried out / looked at Avant, Comodo, K-Meleon (stayed with that for about 2 weeks), Lunascape (interesting browser but slow), Maxthon (tried that for a week), Sleipnir (another interesting but slow browser), OffBy1 (a fast, fun little text-only browser) and finally stumbled on Pale Moon.

I read that Pale Moon was based on pre-Australis Firefox and used the same architecture ... could it be? I modified the profiles.ini file to point to my old Firefox profile and started it up. It checked out all the add-ons and started up and ... I had my browser back! :clap: :D :D :clap:

Wonderful!!! Marvelous!!!

I will be grateful forever to Moonchild & Company for saving my browser. I appreciate all the support they give and all the work they put into Pale Moon - and I will do everything in my power to promote it.

And, as a matter of fact, it DOES say fanatic on my avatar!

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-06-18, 02:39

Latitude wrote:
lyceus wrote:Grrouch! I feel old I am generation 0 of Pale Moon (from first beta tests in private dropbox folder) :mrgreen:
Do you know it first from a thread in MZ?
No, Moonchild gave me a link for test his new "baby" as he needed people for test and I was the only from Latin America available. I never visited or used MZ ever and not interested in doing it now.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-06-18, 04:33

lyceus wrote:
No, Moonchild gave me a link for test his new "baby" as he needed people for test and I was the only from Latin America available. I never visited or used MZ ever and not interested in doing it now.
How did he know & contact you?
Via newsgroups, fora or something?

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-06-19, 02:31

Latitude wrote:
lyceus wrote:
How did he know & contact you?
Via newsgroups, fora or something?
Tsk, tsk you curious. Let me finish my memories about Pale Moon Odyssey and release them on Amazon at .99 cents first. ;)

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-06-19, 06:33

I can't quite remember how I stumbled upon Pale Moon. I know that I was looking for alternatives to Firefox (too slow) and Chromium (too yucky). SeaMonkey I had used but despaired of an update. I tried other Linux browsers like Xombrero, Midori, Qupzilla, and even Uzbl. It was around the time my MacBook Pro died, so when I found Pale Moon and saw that it had the Camimoon theme, I installed it (as I used to use Camino). I also saw it was the best alternative I had found!! I know I joined the Forum in May 2016, but I can't recall how long I had been using PM before that. I may have used version 25, but I think I started out with 26.

So even though I can't quite recall how I found PM, I am glad I did!!!! :thumbup:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-06-19, 09:48

I came across Pale Moon way back sometime in 2011 and joined the forum in November of that year, I was using FF at this time and decided I would rather support a one man project rather than a major player. I have never looked back or even thought about ditching Pale Moon. As this was quite a while ago I have no recollection how I came across Pale Moon, I'm just glad I did.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-06-20, 17:11

lyceus wrote: Tsk, tsk you curious. Let me finish my memories about Pale Moon Odyssey and release them on Amazon at .99 cents first. ;)
What was your first impression of that first alpha/testing version of Pale Moon you received?

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-06-21, 15:28

Since 2003 i used the Moon Browser and when that became outdated i looked for another browser with Moon in the name.
:)

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-06-21, 16:52

Joking aside, in the late nineties i used various Internet Explorer shells (such as NetCaptor, which added tabs) until 2001, when i stumbled upon Opera when testing BeOS, there was no way back after that, and everything, even Firefox, paled in comparison to Opera. Later on i supplemented Opera with K-Meleon (a native win32 gecko based browser, without the XUL engine, very fast). Those were my main browsers, until in 2013 when Opera dropped its own Presto layout engine in favour of WebKit, that was a supergau, a core melt accident, which changed everything. Coincidentally that happened at the same time that Firefox introduced Australis, and everyone can imagine how bad it was going from the lightweight, classic looking K-Meleon, to modern Firefox, this prompted a search for yet another alternative, which led me to Pale Moon.

Thank god for thy!

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-06-22, 03:26

Latitude wrote:What was your first impression of that first alpha/testing version of Pale Moon you received?
My machine has 8GB RAM but a good random page with flash/video/3D things made the classic Firefox bite dust and even get the BSOD. The ones that I got were just optimized Firefox ones, very fast and reliable. In that age I had a 128kpbs 3G line over blackberry so browsing was a real pain. Basically Moonchild builds were used for many friends and family as they saw that were very fast than the vanilla browsers of the time (MSIE, Firefox, Opera, Safari).

I got some of these builds, before get the announcement from Moonchild that he would launch his "kid" as Pale Moon and jump to the public shark waters. How old is that? Well I found in my catalog of backups that the first entry that I have of Pale Moon is version 3.5.2 on my backup CD #55. Check the dates! :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

g:\055\pale moon 3.5.2
   =====================
   palemoon-3.5.2.zip                                                                                    10358 KB   07/10/2009 08:14:00 PM      r 
   palemoon-3.5.2-installer.exe                                                                           7323 KB   18/10/2009 07:44:18 PM      r 
   palemoon-3.5.4-installer.exe                                                                           7343 KB   05/11/2009 12:15:40 AM      r 

Total 3 file(s);  Size: 25625766 Byte(s)

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-06-22, 10:55

lyceus wrote:
My machine has 8GB RAM but a good random page with flash/video/3D things made the classic Firefox bite dust and even get the BSOD. The ones that I got were just optimized Firefox ones, very fast and reliable. In that age I had a 128kpbs 3G line over blackberry so browsing was a real pain. Basically Moonchild builds were used for many friends and family as they saw that were very fast than the vanilla browsers of the time (MSIE, Firefox, Opera, Safari).

I got some of these builds, before get the announcement from Moonchild that he would launch his "kid" as Pale Moon and jump to the public shark waters. How old is that? Well I found in my catalog of backups that the first entry that I have of Pale Moon is version 3.5.2 on my backup CD #55. Check the dates! :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

g:\055\pale moon 3.5.2
   =====================
   palemoon-3.5.2.zip                                                                                    10358 KB   07/10/2009 08:14:00 PM      r 
   palemoon-3.5.2-installer.exe                                                                           7323 KB   18/10/2009 07:44:18 PM      r 
   palemoon-3.5.4-installer.exe                                                                           7343 KB   05/11/2009 12:15:40 AM      r 

Total 3 file(s);  Size: 25625766 Byte(s)
We are lucky to know Pale Moon.

My Pale Moon's uptime now is 6 days 2 hours with many flash-loaded tabs but still responsive. :D

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-06-22, 12:32

petrus wrote:Joking aside, in the late nineties i used various Internet Explorer shells (such as NetCaptor, which added tabs) until 2001, when i stumbled upon Opera when testing BeOS, there was no way back after that, and everything, even Firefox, paled in comparison to Opera. Later on i supplemented Opera with K-Meleon (a native win32 gecko based browser, without the XUL engine, very fast). Those were my main browsers, until in 2013 when Opera dropped its own Presto layout engine in favour of WebKit, that was a supergau, a core melt accident, which changed everything. Coincidentally that happened at the same time that Firefox introduced Australis, and everyone can imagine how bad it was going from the lightweight, classic looking K-Meleon, to modern Firefox, this prompted a search for yet another alternative, which led me to Pale Moon.

Thank god for thy!
K-Meleon is good & fast browser too, but its development seems in "dormant" state (the release interval seems to happen yearly).

nana2

Unread post by nana2 » 2017-06-24, 19:25

That was a while ago. I read about Pale Moon in MajorGeeks forum sometime in 2011. I installed PM almost immediately and used a special tool to transfer info from Firefox to Pale Moon. Visited this forum pretty soon after installing PM, the Awesome browser. A thousand thanks to Moonchild. :thumbup:

As9999

Unread post by As9999 » 2017-08-25, 17:08

I got to know about the end of customizable Firefox (the process of versions 52 to 57) and went looking for other browsers, I think. It's not easy sorting all the options...

Also, it's like petrus said, you know about Pale Moon this way, of course...
petrus wrote:Image

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-08-26, 05:27

I've been using Firefox since 3.5 beta, back then when I was still in High School. I commonly use it for research and other stuff. A few years later most of my favorite add-ons started to stop working and they started shoving Social components, Pocket, Australis and that rapid release cycle that keeps on eating bandwidth (here in our country, data is very limited, like when we reach 800MB, dl/up speed get throttled to dial up-like speeds even if we have 4G/H+ connectivity). Weeks have passed and I've noticed that I'm getting more frequent hangs and it's getting slower than it used to be especially when I have a lot of tabs open. Tried a clean profile but it had no effect. (note: my comp has 4GB RAM) I finally knew that FF is now bloated.

In quest of finding a replacement browser, I searched "Firefox replacements" and opened How-To-Geek's article. I tried Waterfox but didn't like it. The next entry after that was "Pale Moon". I got curious with it's name and downloaded it. It felt like I was back to using the old FF I used to know and never looked back.

Thank you for making such a great browser!

Roranicus

Unread post by Roranicus » 2017-08-26, 17:58

I found out about it from the comment section on a Firefox bug to remove support for tabs on bottom, which highly worried me. (I can't stand tabs on top. It's absolute shit design in my opinion.) I clicked the link, researched it a bit, installed it, and haven't looked back since.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-08-26, 19:15

I came across pale moon on the wilders security forum.Thought i would give it a shot.Im a great believer in trying anything myself to see how things pan out rather than opinions of others.(sorry i dont mean any disrespect.).But there are so many differing computer systems and configs out there that it would be impossible to judge a software unless you try it yourself.

Glad i use palemoon as my main browser now and hope it has a long life. :)
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1