Watch, pay or go away: Google to enable publishers to charge users with ad blockers

General discussion and chat (archived)
joe04

Re: Watch, pay or go away: Google to enable publishers to charge users with ad blockers

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-06-07, 01:29

It matters to me whether it's a Big 5 or a Big 1. I'll take the oligopoly scenario in a heartbeat. You do realize Facebook and Google are competitors, right? If FB hadn't stomped out the G+ initiative years ago, Google would be considerably more powerful than they are now.

To me, the current state of the Web is the "open web" dominated by Google (but also with considerable Facebook and Amazon presence). Plus the massive "walled gardens" of Facebook, Apple, and perhaps a few others overseas (non-English) especially on Mobile.

What's most intersting to me from reading the full report that I linked to in my prior post, is just how rapidly mobile adblocking has grown in India and China in the last 2 years. Raw numbers, it's even bigger than desktop blocking in the US and Europe (which also has grown a lot in recent years). This is a serious challenge to Google's "open web" cash cow, so makes total sense they're doing what they're doing.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Watch, pay or go away: Google to enable publishers to charge users with ad blockers

Unread post by adesh » 2017-06-07, 06:48

Greetings from India!

People in India are selfish and plain ignorant, or maybe that's how the people are all over the world. It might just be the "nature" of people in general. I would not call them people actually, they are just headless consumers. They want to consume as much as possible, and Facebook and Google provide them the necessary dose. They just want to "get it", without event thinking about it (libmic brain?).

The only reason that we are seeing Google as a problem is that there are very few people who think that way and probably all of them have joined this forum. But there are billions who are supporting Google, knowingly or unknowingly. People who can actually think are becoming an extinct species.
If you go and explain someone about why using Chrome is not a great idea and why Pale Moon is so great, they will look at you like you want to deny them some hidden pleasure which only Chrome can provide.

I believe a product is as good as the company behind it. If I cannot call the intentions of Google "evil", I would definitely say they are far from good.
No company should be so big and important that you cannot live without it. And regarding the topic of monopoly and oligopoly, what if these companies join the forces, will they rule the world then?

And there is no Hope!

d3v14n7

Unread post by d3v14n7 » 2017-06-10, 15:52

joe04 wrote:It matters to me whether it's a Big 5 or a Big 1. I'll take the oligopoly scenario in a heartbeat. You do realize Facebook and Google are competitors, right?
Someone is not really aware of how these entities came to exist. [not the usual PR back-story bull]
No, they are tentacles of the same operation; as are MS, Apple, Intel, IBM, nV and even the likes of Valve and Canonical, plus many many more.
Sorry to break it to you; CERN is the global central internet hub that has all your digital movements and biometrics recorded.
Not only that, but I believe they have some heinous AI neural-net feeding off their entire internet.
If you want to get paranoid about it, think "Minority Report".
As long as we type our thoughts into their "web"/"net" [nice words, eh?] they'll always remain one step ahead.
There's no LHC.
It's a cover, and a convenient one for amassing a huge array of ultra-capacity ultra-speed state of the art drives.
Before they had the HW capacity, they used a decentralised fake named SETI, correlating and crunching your digitally recorded lives.
I'm not here to debate this.
You believe what you want to believe.

d3v14n7

Unread post by d3v14n7 » 2017-06-10, 16:05

adesh wrote:Greetings from India!

People in India are selfish and plain ignorant
I used to like India and Indians - except for the b/s idea of caste system.
More than twenty years ago I spent three months there. [no time at all]
Not with the tourists or even other travellers.
My g/f and I did our own thing and had a couple of nice experiences living with locals and being invited to a wedding.
I had a wonderful experience.
However, In the past few years in England, my only encounters of Indians have been negative.
I will not trust Indians anymore.
I treat all they say as some selfish con-man sales pitch.
I'll listen and I won't let on, but all the time I'll be thinking "what's his/her game?"
Not only are they selfish, they are cruel and have this Aryan b/s arrogance fed into them by their masters, so that they become loyal little evil empire automatons.
I know that - many thousands of years ago - India was as advanced as other areas of the world; all now decimated.
Now it's totally corrupt.... and they cheat at cricket too. ;-)

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-06-18, 17:20

How about chrome based iron browser http://www.srware.net/en/, seems it is already are striped off nasty google stuff. And they own addons site as well.

d3v14n7
Again you forsake us defenceless, share your findings, why cern is that dreadful?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-18, 19:50

Just ignore d3v14n7's ramblings, please. They have already been warned not to go off on such wild tangents and stay on-topic for the forum.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite