VoodooShield, anybody using it ?

General discussion and chat (archived)
bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

VoodooShield, anybody using it ?

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-05-24, 04:43

For the second time this years (in May) I have had to repair Bitdefender Internet Security 2017. The PC is 2 months old.
Even my 2012 Toshiba was prone and stock help was ... "just repair BD"

But BD "repairs" just do a clean install behind the scenes and all of my settings are gone :evil:
- whitelist (folders and executables) gone and BD don't have a settings backup feature.
- and all my preferences are gone too
- it takes about a day to reinstate everything. :wtf: :thumbdown:
BD has become so cumbersome and slow

Don't get me wrong, BDs phone support is brilliant 24/7 from central Europe.
- I am down-under, we have a very big rock in the middle of our island continent that keeps the planet from wobbling,
- a counter balance for the 90% of the worlds population in the northern bits.

Yesterday I stumbled over VoodooShield on MalwareTips.com ... read a lot of threads and now I am almost ready to leap into a Free BD with VoodoShield setup.
A couple of YouTubes and I get the picture (not a pun).
There are critics of VoodooShield and lovers, I think the lovers are in front by a margin (how long or wide is a margin?)

There is only one mention of VooDooShield on Palemoon forum by "John Connor" viewtopic.php?p=97756#p97756

Any comments would be appreciated :)
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: VoodooShield, anybody using it ?

Unread post by satrow » 2017-05-24, 11:57

I've been trying it out recently, not done any hard testing of it though, seems to be pretty usable in auto mode.

I just checked and I installed it nine days ago, which means only that it's not too annoying, as most security software 'tests' here last less than a day.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2017-05-24, 18:09

I've tested it in some different systems of mine,for a couple of months, in order to install it for some of my clients who wanted something light for protection.

I can't speak for the ''pro'' version, but the free one, is totaly unucceptable to me (checking for updates every day, when noone asked for them, annoying popups when in learning mode,asking for changing the level of protection and finally after a month or so, new pop ups asking for upgrate because a threat was found and blocked(nothing shown in the UI)).

Besides those, runs very light, but it is still has a lot of FP (well known services are blocked and keep getting blocked even after whitelisted them).

I still prefer NVT ERP.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-05-29, 02:35

At $20 /year /pc, I am willing give the PRO version ago. I know what you mean by nagging.
BD have been nagging to upgrade since before xmas, and we are not half way through our yearly subscription yet.

I was thinking of using free BD + VoodooShield together, they play together according to threads/tutes on MalwareTips.com
- but I don't know much about MalwareTips.com reputation.

Any more opinions experiences would be welcome :)
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)