General discussion and chat (archived)
coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Twitter's updated privacy policy

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-23, 14:48

Personally, I don't use Twitter but ...

From Ghacks: Time to check your Twitter settings

...Because they've updated their "Privacy" Policy and plan to bring users "a more personalized Twitter experience" that will be made "more relevant by using your visits to sites with Twitter content."
And apparently they also want to personalize based on apps used on devices.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Twitter's updated privacy policy

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-05-23, 14:50

Social Media wants to control what you view and ostensibly think when using social media.. Not a surprise... Why is this a thread?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-23, 15:09

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Social Media wants to control what you view and ostensibly think when using social media.. Not a surprise... Why is this a thread?

Many Pale Moon users/community members use social media, use Twitter, and are interested in and affected by matters of privacy, tracking, and control efforts by social media.

I'm sorry that you don't think this should be a thread, but if that's your view perhaps just don't participate in it.

And I hope this thread will not be locked.
Neither based on Tobin's personal reaction, nor on (in my view) an extremely narrow interpretation of what is relevant to the Pale Moon user community.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-23, 19:05

Everyone with a twitter account will have been sent a personal message from Twitter explaining the changes and how you're given more control through it, including links to the relevant Twitter control panel to make your own choices.

Making this thread was, as a result, quite superfluous. But if anyone still feels like they need to discuss the obvious already explained by Twitter staff, be my guest. Just don't expect my participation.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-23, 20:58

Moonchild wrote:But if anyone still feels like they need to discuss...

Thank you. :)

Speaking personally...
I don't have a Twitter account and won't be adjusting Twitter settings.
And don't need "Notification."

But I use Pale Moon and use the internet, and in the course of doing that consider myself very much "interested in and affected by matters of privacy, tracking, and control efforts by social media."

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-05-24, 05:11

The only comment that may be worthy for users of Twitter:
Login on web with Pale Moon and uBlock/ABL, tweet, see your news/jokes/tags, logoff. If you use it on mobile phone, block twitter to see your contact list (Android 4.4.2+). Done. Applies to "Facefook" and another social media alike.