Public Libraries

General discussion and chat (archived)
nheimler

Public Libraries

Unread post by nheimler » 2012-10-19, 15:19

Hello. I do IT consulting for many libraries and many of them I have switched over to Firefox. However, after joining the bandwagon of Pale Moon (well I have been using it for a long time now really), I'm tempted to make another switch. I'm just curious if there are any library techs on this list that has done this. If so, did you have any confused users and or staff members confused? I know it's pretty much a simple change over, but keep in mind we do get a lot of users in that if one thing slightly changes they immediately come over to ask for help. Thanks again!

alan9182

Re: Public Libraries

Unread post by alan9182 » 2012-10-24, 10:55

I have no related experience,
but I would suggest that there will be far less confusion for both Library Users and Staff Members if the browsing experience is stable.

I believe Pale Moon would always give a more consistent and stable experience than Firefox,
even if they were both set up to Auto-Update.

Your judgement might be queried by your peers and your clients if you deviated from perceived wisdom and Mozilla recommendations by preventing a Firefox Auto-Update.
That should not be a problem if Pale Moon is not on Auto-Update.

Another major benefit of Pale Moon is that a manual Update could be done on a "slack day" when the library staff have some spare capacity and few users.
An Auto-Update by Firefox is subject to Murphy's Law and will strike at the busiest time.