Why Isn't OpenSUSE More Popular?

General discussion and chat (archived)
CharmCityCrab

Why Isn't OpenSUSE More Popular?

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-04-27, 20:43

So, I was trying out Linux distros as Virtual Machines, just to have sort of a backup plan in case Microsoft stops letting me turn the advertisements off on Windows 10 or something...

To my surprise, Ubuntu, Mint, and even KUbuntu do not consistently have normal right click on the desktop or drop and drag functionality to add shortcuts to programs and file folders to the desktop. So, I did an Internet search on the issue. There is a 3-4 minute video about how to add shortcuts to other parts of the file system to the desktop THAT REQUIRES THE USE OF THE COMMAND LINE on Mint. It almost played as a parody of Linux. Totally ridiculous for an operating system in 2017 that claims to be the most friendly Linux distro for non-technical types.

I also experienced other issues with those distros.

Many of the problems, including the thing with the desktop, were regressions from when I used Ubuntu in a dual boot situation in 2008. That's right, Ubuntu and two closely related distros are much worse in 2017 than in 2008. Seriously, if not for security, driver, and software compatibly issues created by the passage of time, I would run a copy of Ubuntu Hardy Heron before using the current version of Ubuntu or Mint on a regular basis.

However, by pleasant contrast, OpenSUSE works almost perfectly. It's easy to put whatever I want on the desktop, on the launcher, etc.. They have a great package management system to add programs from their repositories, which includes things like Steam that I didn't really expect to work on KDE Desktop on a KDE oriented distro, but it does. The package management thing even automatically installs dependencies for you- of course there are a lot of for Steam.

I got stuff like Dropbox working with ease as well. A whole bunch of programs. Changed my wallpaper, my profile picture, the background of the lock screen (Granted, the last one was only customizable in so far as I could get rid of the disto's default with some of a blank page type deal, but I still changed it).

Oh, and I installed Pale Moon using the installer on the Pale Moon website and it works perfectly.

So, how come OpenSUSE or a fork of it isn't the #1 Linux distro on distrowatch or whatever? Do you think it's a "people don't know it exists" type thing?

Honestly, at this point Windows could automatically electrocute me every 20 minutes and I would not use Ubuntu or Mint based on what I have tested. I would switch to OpenSUSE if Windows got real bad, though- presuming I could get an inexpensive laptop that had good driver support from the distro.

That brings up another thing, which is that part of the idea of testing Ubuntu in a VM was to see if it would be viable to, in the event that Windows gets real bad, on my next laptop replacement, just buy a laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled and supported from some place like System76 to replace so I don't have any driver issues (Which is a thing with Linux sometimes and something I don't like to deal with). No one sells OpenSUSE laptops, though. Why not? I guess that's really the same question I had re: popularity. If it were the most popular distro, someone probably would be selling laptops with it on there instead of or in addition to Ubuntu.

Maybe there is something I don't know about OPENSuse that holds people back from embracing it?

I am just saying, on a casual test in VMs, it was far and away the best of the distros I tested in terms of me being able to start to "put it together" through the GUI to resemble my Windows desktop.

I couldn't even get through the CentOS install process, as an aside. :) I am not knocking it, but it just obviously wasn't for me as a fairly non-technical user.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Why Isn't OpenSUSE More Popular?

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-04-27, 21:08

What desktop environment did you use for Mint? I just installed Mint 17.1 with XFCE on an old netbook and I seem to recall it had right click funtionality on the desktop along with options for adding shortcuts. I may be mistaken though.

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2017-04-27, 21:47

openSUSE lost its traction when Ubuntu appeared. Before that, S.u.S.E. was the leading beginner-friendly distribution.

Also, systemd.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-04-27, 23:13

CharmCityCrab wrote: I would run a copy of Ubuntu Hardy Heron before using the current version of Ubuntu or Mint on a regular basis.
I feel the same way with mint as you. Mint 11 was a much better O.P. by a long shot than the newer version. But you have cued my interest by talking about Open Suse and I will have to take a bit of time and play with it when I get the chance. ;)

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-04-27, 23:52

eskaton023 wrote:What desktop environment did you use for Mint? I just installed Mint 17.1 with XFCE on an old netbook and I seem to recall it had right click funtionality on the desktop along with options for adding shortcuts. I may be mistaken though.
IIRC I used the default- Cinnamon. I think each distribution was the LTS release where possible.

At first I thought that some of the issues with Ubuntu and Mint might come from Unity and Cinnamon potentially borrowing some of the Gnome 3 back-end code (Even while being created in the first place to offer an alternative front-end to Gnome 3), but when I saw Kubuntu with some of the same issues even though it was KDE, like OpenSUSE, which doesn't share those issues, I began to wonder if it was part of the Ubuntu's code at a more basic level, or some sort of new UI aesthetic that's trying to move users away from using the desktop the way I always have.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-04-28, 00:23

I have never tried it, but i may be interested. Can it easily be set to the low end machine for browsing trivial sites and watching online video mostly flash, has it all codecs and drivers, also does it accept variety usb modems for internet?

For now i promote mint LMDE, i find it most convenient, but it still has crippled and confused gui, compared even with win95. For example i couldn't put working "midnight commander" shortcut on desktop.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-04-28, 01:37

CharmCityCrab wrote:So, I was trying out Linux distros as Virtual Machines, just to have sort of a backup plan in case Microsoft stops letting me turn the advertisements off on Windows 10 or something...

To my surprise, Ubuntu, Mint, and even KUbuntu do not consistently have normal right click on the desktop or drop and drag functionality to add shortcuts to programs and file folders to the desktop. So, I did an Internet search on the issue. There is a 3-4 minute video about how to add shortcuts to other parts of the file system to the desktop THAT REQUIRES THE USE OF THE COMMAND LINE on Mint. It almost played as a parody of Linux. Totally ridiculous for an operating system in 2017 that claims to be the most friendly Linux distro for non-technical types.
Well, I run 64 bit linux Mint 18.1 (Serena) Xfce. I have right click on the desktop and when I do right click on my empty space on my desktop, I can bring up a gui window which will bring up the following things listed below in that window:
----------------------------------------
Open in new Window
Create launcher
Create URL link
Create Folder
Create Document
-----------------------------------------
Paste
-----------------------------------------
Open in Terminal
Open as Root
Create a Link
Search
Arrange Desktop Icons
Desktop Settings
Properties
Applications

I didn't use the command line terminal to do it either and I'm "not" using Mint in a virtual machine. Mint is installed on all of my hard drives since I have four computers.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-05-07, 01:59

On Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon all you need to do to create a symbolic link to a folder or file is to select the folder or file and hit Ctrl+M... You can do this with as many folders and file you want to at once.

_ntnn

Unread post by _ntnn » 2017-05-08, 20:58

Why isn't OpenSUSE More Popular?
Because of stunts like this: https://lwn.net/Articles/720924/

As for other distributions - what you get as the average end user depends on which desktop environment you use. Stuff like LXDE, XFCE, KDE and Gnome makes it easy to completely ignore any shell - however it's usually 'power' users who are making How-Tos and Guides, and those are usually more comfortable with shells rather than a GUI.