Review of Nylas Mail 2.0

General discussion and chat (archived)
hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Review of Nylas Mail 2.0

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-04-18, 21:50

Nylas Mail has been released: Nylas Mail

I have seen some good reviews about the Linux-version, so i have been waiting for the Windows-version.
But, it was a BIG dissapointment !

Here is my quick review of Nylas Mail for Windows:
The installer is uncivilized, it does not ask where to install the program.
Nylas Mail installs in C:\Users\XXXXXX \AppData\Local\NylasMail\, and C:\Users\XXXXXX \AppData\Roaming\NylasMail\.

As most of us know: On a "modern" O/S like fx. W7 the default-folder(s) for installation is C:\Program Files,
and O/S C:\Program Files (x86).

Personally I do not install anything on “C:”, unless i´m forced to by stupid programs (usually created by Microsoft...).
I am using a Linux-style configuration, with multiple O/S, separate partitions for O/S, programs, documents & media etc.
I have a common program-partition for all Windows-O/S, so i install all programs on “E:\Program Files”.

The setup is confusing, fx. if you want to use IMAP for your Gmail-account,
when you have entered the data for the account (email-address, password etc.) Nylas Mail tells you to select Gmail.
Where ???
There is no option on that page to select Gmail.... :?
What they mean is to go back several pages, and select Gmail !?

Then Nylas Mail starts your webbrowser, going to Gmail, requesting that you enter your username and password !?
Why ?
What has webbmail to do with setting up an emailclient !?

I finally managed to get the program installed and working.
But it is very primitive, it looks like "another version of Gmail in a webbrowser", not like an email-client.
And the settings are very limited, although there is an option to use a reading panel, there is no option for where to put it.
It is to the right, which is useless...

There is an option to select different styles for keyboard-shortcuts, but no option to turn it off !?
Very stupid.
Why ?
Because with keyboard shortcuts activated you might accidentally send an unfinished email while you are still editing the text.
Fx. you might have written some 4-letter words, then realizing it would be a bad idea, so you edit the text,
but suddenly the mail is sent before you have removed those 4-letter words.
Ooops... ;)

There is no option to select which folders you want to access and have visible.
Which means that if you have alot of folders it lists all of them....

They call it Nylas Mail 2.0, but considering how confusing it is to install, and the lack of options in settings,
it ought to be called Nylas Mail beta-2.

I uninstalled it after testing.
Nylas doesn´t know how to install programs "properly" (in the right location), neither do they know how to uninstall a program.
The folders where Nylas Mail was installed where still there after uninstalling, so i had to clean up the filesystem manually.

Conclusion: Nylas Mail is no real alternative to FossaMail.

And it will leave garbage in your filesystem after uninstalling it.
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Review of Nylas Mail 2.0

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-04-19, 17:09

Looks like crap in the screenshots.
And the fact that it's a 119 MB download pretty much confirms it.
But if you're still in doubt, then simply read the faq..
The damn thing is cloud based!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-19, 23:57

Cloud based + installing itself in user data folder -> 99% sure that it's a chromium browser with a custom front-end talking to some service, and isn't even a mail client. Also means that you're giving the cloud service your e-mail credentials. Have fun with that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-04-20, 02:26

Moonchild wrote:...installing itself in user data folder -> 99% sure that it's a chromium browser....
That´s exactly what i was thinking when i saw that.
It smells a long way like Google ....
I installed Google Earth a couple of years ago, and it was also installed in the user-folder.
Google Earth crashed my computer 7 times before i finally gave up and uninstalled it.
It also left a lot of files in several folders.
And i also have a faint memory of testing the Chromium browser years ago, same story, it also left a lot of files in several folders....
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-04-23, 13:58

hackerman1 wrote: Nylas Mail installs in C:\Users\XXXXXX \AppData\Local\NylasMail\, and C:\Users\XXXXXX \AppData\Roaming\NylasMail\.

As most of us know: On a "modern" O/S like fx. W7 the default-folder(s) for installation is C:\Program Files,
and O/S C:\Program Files (x86).
I know another program which would install in AppData folder in its default value: Winja (an alternative VirusTotal uploader).

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-04-23, 15:30

Screamer Radio installs to that location too:
https://www.screamer-radio.com/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-23, 21:41

Guys, please. Keep things on-topic?
This is about one particular program, not "which other applications install in the same folder"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite