Do you percept that GNOME 3 is wrong in its UI core philosophy?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Latitude

Do you percept that GNOME 3 is wrong in its UI core philosophy?

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-04-16, 12:32

Just like Windows 8/8.1 UI (AKA "Modern UI", formerly "Metro") and then followed by Windows 10, GNOME 3 is like trying unify mobile-centric UI with desktop-centric UI.

Is it wrong move taken by GNOME UI designers?

filip

Re: Do you percept that GNOME 3 is wrong in its UI core philosophy?

Unread post by filip » 2017-04-16, 15:29

IMO, on many ( read: most ) levels yes, but not entirely so.
I think that the biggest, let's say mistake, is that they've simply dropped a perfectly usable desktop for something that's neither a full fledged desktop nor a full fledged mobile/tablet UI ( hell, it's not even used on anything mobile, AFAIK ).
Followed by the whole "Our way or highway" mentality & feature removal/dumbing down.

Obviously, they have all the rights to do whatever they want, but the reality is that such drastic actions & behavior rarely receive a warm welcome in FOSS community/world.

All in all, it's done now, and to be honest, they are doing a good job at it for what it is ( unlike, eg Firefox by analogy ).
Though, personally I don't like it a single bit, from the desktop perspective ( not that I didn't try ). Whatever you want to do, takes 2-3x more time and effort which is plain annoying.

BTW, about the whole convergence "thing/trend", from the little I know/follow, it looks like that KDE is about the only one doing it right with Plasma.
Separate UI's for desktop & mobile with a shared backend stuff == both are good & nobody suffers.

On the other hand, excluding Gnome ( for now atleast ), all other attempts to make a hybrid failed ( MS, Unity... ).
To put it bluntly, mobile and desktop are just to damn different to merge and have a usable result on both sides == wasted effort. :)

Latitude

Re: Do you percept that GNOME 3 is wrong in its UI core philosophy?

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-04-17, 14:48

filip wrote:IMO, on many ( read: most ) levels yes, but not entirely so.
I think that the biggest, let's say mistake, is that they've simply dropped a perfectly usable desktop for something that's neither a full fledged desktop nor a full fledged mobile/tablet UI ( hell, it's not even used on anything mobile, AFAIK ).
Followed by the whole "Our way or highway" mentality & feature removal/dumbing down.

Obviously, they have all the rights to do whatever they want, but the reality is that such drastic actions & behavior rarely receive a warm welcome in FOSS community/world.

All in all, it's done now, and to be honest, they are doing a good job at it for what it is ( unlike, eg Firefox by analogy ).
Though, personally I don't like it a single bit, from the desktop perspective ( not that I didn't try ). Whatever you want to do, takes 2-3x more time and effort which is plain annoying.

BTW, about the whole convergence "thing/trend", from the little I know/follow, it looks like that KDE is about the only one doing it right with Plasma.
Separate UI's for desktop & mobile with a shared backend stuff == both are good & nobody suffers.

On the other hand, excluding Gnome ( for now atleast ), all other attempts to make a hybrid failed ( MS, Unity... ).
To put it bluntly, mobile and desktop are just to damn different to merge and have a usable result on both sides == wasted effort. :)
I would rather use MATE (a fork from GNOME 2) than use GNOME 3.