youtube is slow and slack is unusable in

Unread post by eixan » 2017-03-19, 16:19

youtube is slow and websites like slack and gitter are unuseable

dark_moon

Re: youtube is slow and slack is unusable in

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-03-19, 18:08

Welcome to the forum, eixan

Youtube is fast and all works fine.
If you realy want help, make a real post with infos.
See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4501 & viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49
Last edited by dark_moon on 2017-03-19, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-19, 18:53

Dark_moon: you are being unnecessarily hostile. Please don't make me have to take action. :problem:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

eixan

Unread post by eixan » 2017-03-22, 16:27

pale moon second to lastest version 64bit. Windows 10 64bit. That's what I was running when I last used youtube on this browser

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-03-23, 03:52

Moonchild wrote:Dark_moon: you are being unnecessarily hostile. Please don't make me have to take action. :problem:
I rejected a post some days ago of this user, with the text "youtube is slow and websites like slack and gitter are unuseable" no comments no idea of what or why these videos are bad or how. Just the complain, I did explain to this user that we need the direct videos links where he has trouble with and how to reproduce the fail.

And he just posted again the same text. :think: :crazy:

app103

Unread post by app103 » 2017-03-24, 00:50

I can confirm that there is an issue with Slack. This seems to have started today, some time between noon & 7 PM EDT.

Slack can't seem to connect and the sidebar will not load. (works in all browsers except Pale Moon)

Operating system: Win10 x64
Browser version: 27.2.0 (32-bit)

Disabling all add-ons does not help. Clearing cache does not help, reloading page does not help

Screenshot showing both slack problem and errors displayed in Firebug:
Screenshot - 3_23_2017 , 8_22_13 PM.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-24, 01:12

Regarding Slack: Since the URLs shown are "wss", it's likely a problem with the slack servers. They may be specifically blocking Pale Moon; SSL security on the listed server is OK so otherwise Pale Moon should be able to connect unless it's specifically refused on the server side.

Have you tried contacting them and asking about this?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

app103

Unread post by app103 » 2017-03-24, 01:23

Not yet, I haven't, but I will do and report back. :)

app103

Unread post by app103 » 2017-03-24, 08:48

Well, here's Slack's official response. (I can't stand browser bigots!)
slack-browser-bigots.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-24, 14:36

See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15256 for a workaround of their server issue.

Chrome implemented optional parameters to an extension to websockets they want to use. The server should be tolerant to browsers that don't implement this as the spec doesn't require or encourage it, but apparently slack's server-side scripting is not, and the connection is closed as a result.

This has nothing to do with the latest features, updates, security issues or what not as you highlighted.
It has everything to do with relying on specific, out-of-spec implementations that specific browsers have, and not being tolerant to other implementations that are fully within specifications otherwise.

app103

Unread post by app103 » 2017-03-24, 21:15

After giving them a piece of my mind, regarding their browser bigotry and how it affects me, I received this reply back from Slack's support person:
Thanks for your detailed note, and I and really sorry we're disrupting your workflow this much.

We made the decision to deprecate the support for browsers with websockets that are established with a version number less than 8. Here's a bit more about what versions are available: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6455#section-11.6.

As it pertains to Firefox (and by extension, Pale Moon), base Firefox versions greater than or equal to 42 seem to have a more recent implementation of the websocket specification and can successfully handshake with our servers.

If you could bring this back to the devs on the Pale Moon forum, and let them know that once the browser can make it so the WebSocket (Flannel) test on https://slack.com/help/test passes, you should be able to use Pale Moon again. I see this discussed here on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15256

Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and we are happy to answer any questions you or your devs may have.

Thanks,

Simone