All antivirus software = malware?

General discussion and chat (archived)
tuxman

All antivirus software = malware?

Unread post by tuxman » 2017-03-15, 23:46

All AV software is malware. No additional value and a lot of wasted resources, plus potential security holes. Don't use them.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: New AV player on the market: TotalAV (beware)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-16, 00:47

tuxman wrote:All AV software is malware. No additional value and a lot of wasted resources, plus potential security holes. Don't use them.
I respectfully disagree. But you do have to be careful what you choose to use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2017-03-16, 01:25

What exactly - except the simulation of additional security - do you gain with an AV software then?

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-03-16, 02:37

tuxman wrote:What exactly - except the simulation of additional security - do you gain with an AV software then?
ComodoAV adds sandboxing for every process and executable, for example. So this only feature is worth all the hassle, as I need to check lots of emails and attachments, if anything pass the battlefield and try to install under the hood, it's stopped there. EDIT: Before you ask even Windows process are blocked by Comodo if I don't grant permission.

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2017-03-16, 02:58

Comodo AV is also known for coming with a backdoor (= malware) for attackers.
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/700422594550325248

Oh, yes, right, they totally fixed that by now and suddenly everyone should trust them, right?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: All antivirus software = malware?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-16, 09:20

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-03-18, 03:22

tuxman wrote:Comodo AV is also known for coming with a backdoor (= malware) for attackers.
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/700422594550325248

Oh, yes, right, they totally fixed that by now and suddenly everyone should trust them, right?
From your tweet, I found a link to a page from Google (know malware vendor too, just because Chrome :shh: ) it reads:
When you install Comodo Internet Security, in the default configuration an application called "GeekBuddy" is also installed and added to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services.
GeekBuddy is an optional app crap that open an operator chat system so a "friendly geek" take over your computer and helps you to install your antivirus. If you need that a stranger from X place install apps using root access in your computer, then you deserve get hacked. :lol:

Otherwise the app is safe to use. So please don't cover with tinfoil my den. Thank you! :mrgreen:

EDIT: And this is my last word in the topic.