New AV player on the market: TotalAV (beware)

General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

New AV player on the market: TotalAV (beware)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-15, 21:04

So, as part of their affiliate marketing techniques, I was contacted by people at TotalAV (a new player on the AV market) about a possible partnership with affiliate links or similar (e.g. pre-set bookmark). While interesting, it of course stands and falls with the level of trust I personally have in their product.

I decided to make this post because they've apparently spent some cash on getting people to write biased reviews that will give potential users an absolutely wrong idea of what it is. In short: TotalAV is vaporware -- using all the common customer-binding tactics you'd expect from it.

After only 5 minutes of using their software it's clear that the review sites giving high marks are not honest reviews. Their "free" version (marked as trial) is clearly nothing but a big, system-invasive adware application to sell their services.

Starting off: registration required to get anything out of their trial. Registration of an account for a free product is odd, to begin with, since people wanting to trial software in general would not have a need to surrender personal information to software vendors. But considering what I found out after signing up, I'm not surprised.

Here we go then:
  • First off, it detected a competitive product/vendor (IObit) as "malware" while it is not (I happened to have a version of some of IObit's software installed to check out). That's really low, people. Seriously. Definite Security Faux Pas to mark competitors as malware.
  • Secondly, when trying to "resolve the threat" it only opens a web page to "upgrade to ultimate antivirus" through purchase without actually resolving anything (what kind of a trial is that?). So, register your personal details first before you get to see our scanner and purchase first before you can actually trial its functionality...
  • Thirdly, "Web security", marked as a critical item constitutes their VPN service. Another item that I couldn't "trial" because it requires immediate (separate) purchase.
    While VPN that may protect a user from some things, it is not "safe browsing" and it certainly does not "stop hackers and snoopers from watching your online activities" (quote from their pop-up message when trying to enable it). It also means the user is entrusting them performing traffic routing for all internet traffic without any clear description or policies stated about the service. e.g. request logging, data retention, proxying/MitM SSL, etc.
  • Next, they have a "System boost" feature which is supposed to show items slowing down your PC. It lists "history entries and browser cookies" as a potential slow-down item. What a load of hogwash! Recommending people toss out their history as a "good practice" to "speed up their system"? Come on.
    They clearly have no clue how browsers work. And, of course, when you try to use it, it does nothing but telling you "Oops you're using the free version and you can't actually do anything until you give us your cash".
  • Their "disk cleaner" includes a duplicate files scanner. It would break a good number of my installed applications by removing "duplicate files" from application folders.
    The interface for it is also clumsy with badly-proportioned selection lists and you MUST select every duplicate manually, yourself -- and it also finds fake duplicates (same folder, same file) so it doesn't even work right.
  • Their "shredder" isn't actually a shredder (it doesn't make data unrecoverable which is essential for private data you'd use a shredder for), it will simply perform the same task as Windows' built-in "disk cleanup". Oh and yes, also not functional in the "trial" and popping up a "pay us your money now" box when attempted to use.
  • Real-time protection can't be enabled (another "no-trial" option) and as such system performance impact (which is essential) can't be evaluated without a purchase.
They were going on about having an extremely high retention rate and willing to pay affiliates a very high amount of commission up front (which is something that is also extremely suspect...), e.g. offering to pay $70/paid signup for a $20/month subscription...

Considering their setup, I'm not surprised their retention is high because only people dumb enough to believe all this and think it will actually help them, would ever buy this product/service, and not think twice about it (likely ex-McAfee or ex-Symantec users).

Of course for me, it doesn't matter that they've paid publishers good money to give shining reviews when the product is actually vaporware.

Digging a little deeper, their software is an amalgamation of libraries from different vendors.
Their antivirus is the Avira engine. It's not even their own. otherwise it's a .net application that doesn't do anything special and is just a front-end for some file operations and an OpenVPN client.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: New AV player on the market: TotalAV (beware)

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-03-15, 23:35

I would treat them just like how you would treat "Antivirus XP" and the like! :x

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2017-03-16, 00:08

thank you. it is great to see that money can't buy everything (and everyone) yet. ;-)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-03-16, 22:57

I make my work to share that info with other guys.
TotalAV is another software which no one need so hope their software die

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-16, 23:45

In addition, you can also expect them to start sending you rapid-fire e-mails if you haven't made a purchase yet after 2 days after registering your account with them (remember, it's required to run their adware "trial").
Thankfully they have an unsubscribe option but it's annoying anyway. And my request to have my account completely removed has also fallen on deaf ears, similar to my e-mail to the person of justdevelop.it which is the umbrella corporation publishing this vaporware.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-03-18, 03:27

And I tough that it was too bad that Avira (my previous AV choice) made a bad move for allow good spam to pass across their system protection. Read good spam as companies that pay Avira for snoop freely in your computer, but don't worry as they are friendly. :crazy:

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-03-18, 14:36

Moonchild wrote:In addition, you can also expect them to start sending you rapid-fire e-mails
Sneakemail be praised.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-19, 00:28

Octopuss wrote:
Moonchild wrote:In addition, you can also expect them to start sending you rapid-fire e-mails
Sneakemail be praised.
Not necessary -- it just falls in line with then trying to just get people to "buy buy buy". One click unsubscribe takes care of those mails.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-03-28, 15:36

I hope many legit anti-malware/anti-virus softwares would treat/recognize TotalAV as malware/badware/PUP that needs to be removed.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-05-15, 09:31

MC :) thank you for your "review" of TotalAV and their sibling "ScamGuard"
I came across both apps on http://onlinelifeadvice.com/owa-13 a ScamGuard blog.

A quick look in Wilder's Security and their acknowledgement to you https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... st-2660051
In my experience neither TAV nor SG are used by VirusTotal nor do they appear on AVComparitives.

My Bitdefender is due for renewal in 55 days, and have been agonising over a BD renewal or Malwarebytes, or just drop my PC in the sea.

I am very grateful that you are looking out for those of us who do not have a clue ... thank you :thumbup:
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-05-15, 23:12

Nice to see you come back from the down under bawldiggle, long time no see. ;)

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-05-16, 11:49

bawldiggle wrote:
A quick look in Wilder's Security and their acknowledgement to you https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... st-2660051
In my experience neither TAV nor SG are used by VirusTotal nor do they appear on AVComparitives.
Off-topic:
Is that your nick in Wilders, BTW?

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-05-24, 02:23

@ Latitude :)
Off-topic:
Is that your nick in Wilders, BTW?
Not me, on Wilders I am GreyGhost

I am getting desperate for an alternative AV to Bitdefender Internet Security 2017 (expires in 55 days)...
Wilders is a respectable place to look, but I am still floundering.

I will leave it that to avoid being too off-topic ;)
Win-7 PRO 64-bit

iBenny

Unread post by iBenny » 2017-09-09, 02:40

Thanks buddy, I was just about to download it and I saw your post !!! :coffee:

You just saved me a LOT of trouble... :clap:

Many thanks again ! :-D

iBenny

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-10-15, 22:15

A DDG search for JustDevelp.IT ... opens a pandoras box.

For one ... Just Cloud Sucks - True Stories from Just Cloud Users!

:wtf:
Win-7 PRO 64-bit

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-10-15, 23:42

Ah, that's who's behind this; I dug into their background some time ago, a right rabbit warren of intrigue amongst a trail littered with defunct companies.

If you're bored, try this search (though their HQ had moved last time I checked, the same group of names will still be in the same area): https://duckduckgo.com/5A+Little+Park+Farm+Road or checkout this thread from a year ago: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... ity-suite/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-16, 00:37

The funny thing is, Just Host has been around for a long time and they've done good by me when used years back (for simple website hosting, anyway), but it seems they've taken the path of not being a tech company but an investment firm now, and presenting many start-ups that their firm, focusing on investments rather than tech, can't possibly support.

The topic of this thread was an outreach by this firm that smelled fishy because of the high promised conversion revenue and rates; clearly their tactic is something like:
  1. Create/take over a start-up (investment)
  2. Invest in marketing and initial publication, including exaggerated/censored advertising (investment, PR)
  3. Reach out to potential partners to further boost publication buzz, paying affiliates top dollar for driving conversions (investment)
  4. Snare as many unsuspecting customers with legitimate interest as possible (ROI)
  5. Receive money, but don't actually provide ongoing tech support for the invested products (ROI)
  6. When depleted, add to the portfolio list of "successful investments" (PR)
  7. Go to step 1.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-10-16, 03:41

So, after all the explanations, is it enough to classify TotalAV as malware, or at least PUA?
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-10-16, 04:47

You should consider any software from this 'group' of companies to be unfit for purpose, keep at least the length of a bargepole away from them.

For some examples of what appear to be legit comments about it, plus a few obvious shill posts praising it, read the Comments pages here.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-16, 11:03

satrow wrote:read the Comments pages here.
The comments are definitely telling the right tale, not the main article.
Of note, the editor's rating of "excellent" is because:
Disclosure: We receive advertising revenue from this partner.
consumersadvocate.org will therefore receive revenue for any action from their 'visit site" link that leads to a purchase, similar to the kind of "partnership" they wanted to offer me that I refused.