Palemoon in Linux-Distro

General discussion and chat (archived)
chalee

Palemoon in Linux-Distro

Unread post by chalee » 2017-03-15, 16:51

Hello!

As Mozilla is going wrong with ALSA-based systems since version 52 - making pulseaudio a hard dependency:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661

..i left Firefox and found great Palemoon now!

I am really excited about this great project.

Is it possible to put Palemoon in our little A/V-distro: http://mayastudiotumblr.com/64bit
and make it the new default browser?

Or are there some problems with e.g. licences ?

Thank's for answering!

best regards,

chalee

chalee

Re: Palemoon in Linux-Distro

Unread post by chalee » 2017-03-15, 21:30

As i understood the branding-notes: https://www.palemoon.org/branding.shtml

Is it possible to get individual options for redristribution from you!?

-- > https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml

because some things are permitted by default.

So here our plans:

We would like to have Palemoon as default browser in our little A/V-distro QStudio64:

- we would take the Steven Pusser-PPA for Ubuntu 14.04, as it is fully compatible with our Linux Mint 17.3-basement:

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

- we would like to set Startpage as the default startpage

- and duckduckgo or startpage as the default search-engine

- httpseverywhere and ublockorigin as pre-installed plugins

- Australium as default theme

So we would like to hear from Palemoon-developers if we could use these conditions and if it's possible to integrate Palemoon in anyway.

PM or @mail are welcome too.

Thanks for answering.

chalee, Phil and kAte

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-16, 00:48

You are out of luck if those are your requirements. Please see: https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml again there is a reason for every stupulation and each one is spelled out clearly and concisely. Don't hold your breath since you are fundamentally altering the intended first-run experience of the Browser. You can of course rebrand if you want and only be beholden to the terms of the MPL at that point.

chalee

Unread post by chalee » 2017-03-16, 04:51

Hello Matt!

No, these are no requirements - just ideas!

i thought this all could be possible if the developer individual allow this.

This was the reason why we asked,

Basicly we just want to know if it's possible to put Palemoon in our distro!

If own "presets" for the browser are forbidden it would be no big problem for us.

Everybody could individualize it by his own..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-16, 22:17

We've worked with Steven to iron out the issues with his OBS/PPA so the builds should be of acceptable quality. Specific quirks with it may still be possible that should be discussed with the package maintainer directly.

I kindly direct you to the redistribution license for binaries as regards the inclusion of binaries in your distro:
An exception applies to point 5 of this license for inclusion of the officially branded binaries in freely available and fully Open Source operating systems, including but not limited to non-commercial variants of Linux, variants of BSD and ReactOS. This exception only applies to unaltered versions of the Pale Moon binaries or officially branded variants specifically built for the target operating system from source that have not been materially changed (including brand-specific configurations like e.g. home page, default search engine). If any of the essential settings of the browser are altered beyond what is strictly needed for providing a working build on the target operating system, the exception in this point does not apply and the license defaults to point 10, instead.
You are therefore allowed to include Pale Moon in your distro, but not with the proposed changes to home page and/or search engine or with changed theme or pre-installed extensions.
If you want to pre-install extensions or make these specific changes that would directly go against the intended neutrality of Pale Moon and undermine funding for our project, then you may not use official branding and should use unofficial branding or rebrand the browser yourself. If reconfiguration is not a hard requirement leaving that up to individual users instead, then there is no problem, of course.

I hope this clarifies the situation.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

chalee

Unread post by chalee » 2017-03-17, 02:15

Yea thank's! this sounds great.

We wrote a mail to Steven Pusser.

And we will nothing change in the browsers-presets!

[Edit:] I understand all about with the startpage, branding and extentions - but wanna ask if we just could take the Australium-theme,
as it would be nicer together with our default desktop-loolk!? (It's just a question!)

What is really important for us is the ALSA-support for Linux in Palemoon.

Mozilla Firefox stops (as the only browser) the ALSA-support with version 52 - will Palemoon follow this?

There is just a big discussion in Linux-community, because a lot of people and some distros (lubuntu, Puppy, KXStudio, QStudio64,..)
prefer ALSA without Pulseaudio as the default soundsystem for many reasons.

This is the most important question for us- because our distro was made for professional audio without PA.

Thanks for answering.

chalee

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-03-17, 12:53

chalee wrote:Yea thank's! this sounds great.

We wrote a mail to Steven Pusser.

And we will nothing change in the browsers-presets!

[Edit:] I understand all about with the startpage, branding and extentions - but wanna ask if we just could take the Australium-theme,
as it would be nicer together with our default desktop-loolk!? (It's just a question!)

What is really important for us is the ALSA-support for Linux in Palemoon.

Mozilla Firefox stops (as the only browser) the ALSA-support with version 52 - will Palemoon follow this?

There is just a big discussion in Linux-community, because a lot of people and some distros (lubuntu, Puppy, KXStudio, QStudio64,..)
prefer ALSA without Pulseaudio as the default soundsystem for many reasons.

This is the most important question for us- because our distro was made for professional audio without PA.

Thanks for answering.

chalee
Pale Moon is not Firefox and it never will be again. There is no reason for the Pale Moon project to drop ALSA support, since Pale Moon is an independent browser that goes in a separate direction than Firefox does.

chalee

Unread post by chalee » 2017-03-17, 14:27

Yes! THIS is because we want to choose Palemoon now.

Because it's much different than FF.

And we love independence (too)! ;-)

:thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-17, 23:15

chalee wrote:but wanna ask if we just could take the Australium-theme
Yes, that is OK with me. Just make sure people still have the choice to use the default theme as well, and provide clear instructions how users can use the default Pale Moon look. I'm OK with you using official branding if that's the only change. :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

chalee

Unread post by chalee » 2017-03-17, 23:51

Great! So we will start to rebuild our distro.

One question more:

How works your Palemoon-startpage in detail:

I understand that you get some funding because of all that links,
but what is with the user-data!?

Is everybody connected via cookies or analytic-tools to this services (e.g. facebook, twitter,..) permantly
because of the Palemoon-startpage branded in dom.storage ?

Or does it just start, if somebody clicks on the Facebook, Twitter..-link?!

I know your privacy-policy and found this about the cookies:, https://www.palemoon.org/cookies.shtml

but like to know some more technical details,
because our distribution is a little privacy-orientated too:

We just want to keep a good standard for 2017! ;-)

greets, chalee

chalee

Unread post by chalee » 2017-03-23, 02:08

It's ready!

We are really happy to have Palemoon in new QStudio64 now:

NEW RELEASE: QStudio64 17.3 Xi 64bit:

http://qianastudio.tumblr.com

http://mayastudio.tumblr.com/64bit

For all that loves Ubuntu/Linux Mint, opensource and multimedia

and want to be productive on a free system.

Thank's to Palemoon-devs.

Have fun! Be creative!

;)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-03-23, 02:37

I'm downloading it tonight. Will play with it soon. Thank you for your hard work and for Putting Pale Moon on the list. :) :thumbup:

chalee

Unread post by chalee » 2017-03-23, 17:46

...it's just a little community-project's distro with maybe 100- 400 users worldwide!?

But maybe you will like it.

U r welcome!

;)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-03-27, 01:16

Having a hard time downloading this. Speed is really slow and sometimes it just stops. Trying again tonight. :think:

chalee

Unread post by chalee » 2017-03-28, 21:40

Hello Handyman!

From where are you downloading it?

In Europe we get it stable with 1.1 - 1.5 MB/s over gdrive.

But we will serve a torrent the next days, so that everybody could get it

part by part.

;)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-03-28, 22:09

I just used your link and it took me to the Google drive. I finally got it so I will try it out soon.

Thank you so much.

chalee

Unread post by chalee » 2017-03-28, 23:00

To make clear that there are no download-errors put the image in your home-folder and run in terminal:

Code: Select all

md5sum Qiana-Studio-17.3-Xi-64bit-dist.iso
It has to be the md5sum: df906c324bec6c25f721ce72d929b122

IF NOT, download again.

Have fun . Be creative!

;-)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-03-29, 00:49

Yeah, :clap: for the first time in over 5 years my sound card worked almost out of the box. Just had to fix a couple of settings (that were actually there) and it worked perfect. A very nice looking system. ;) Always loved Mate. :thumbup:

Only had a couple of issues, one of them being Pale Moon. I could not remember my password for the forum (had to change recently) and after a few tries it wanted me to do a Captch by dragging certain pictures to the correct theme. But you cannot see the pics, just the outline of the description. So I was not able to log into the forum till I booted up Windows. I did a screen shot but for some reason even after I saved it to my external drive when I was going to post it here it will not open and shows as zero bytes. I will try to take a picture of it next time.

My other issue was with Nvidia drivers and the ability to change gamma and brightness etc. The Nvidia X server is there and I even loaded some extra stuff from the repository but still could not find or adjust these settings.

My third issue was language. In most parts it's in English but when I went to certain parts it shows in some other language. My guess is that if install it
that it will ask me what language I want and solve that problem.

I have a 80 gig drive sitting around so I'm going to load it on that, and do some testing. :mrgreen:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-03-29, 03:07

Ok, so I went ahead and loaded up on my extra hard drive and everything seemed ok, I chose English for both language and keyboard layout but when the
instal finished and it booted for the first time the log in screen was in German. I clicked on the little flag and again chose US English and logged in. While at first this seemed to fix the problem it did still have many things in German including the keyboard layout.

For instance, I tried to do the updates and it asked me for my password. I typed it in several times and it kept saying it was not right. So I loaded the writer program to see what was being typed and instead of the @ symbol it was giving something else. I tried most of the other number keys with the shift key and they seemed fine.

I could not find the @ symbol anywhere. And if you hover over anything like the Linux Mint symbol it shows the tips in German.

So clearly there are some language pack issues here. I will try again.

Andrew Gilbertson

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2017-03-29, 17:13

I was planning on trying this distro out on my laptop sometime in the next couple of days, but a German keyboard layout is probably not going to work for me... I'm far too used to touch-typing on an en-US layout, which doesn't have the AltGr key of European keyboards and swaps the Z and Y keys from the German layout (in addition to a bunch of symbols being moved around between the two layouts).

Wikipedia has a nice picture of German keyboard layout, where I spotted that the @ symbol that Thehandyman1957 was looking for shares a key with Q - I assume this is accessed with AltGr+Q. The picture is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_keyboard_layout#/media/File:German-T2-Keyboard-Prototype-May-2012.jpg

I still plan to try it out - hopefully the spot to switch keyboard layouts is not too difficult to find - but if language issues prove to be too much of a hurdle to overcome, I'll just have to find a different distro (and there are plenty to choose from).