Photon is so childish

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-05-15, 16:30

Are the users kindergarten students?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Photon is so childish

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-05-15, 17:43

latitude wrote:Are the users kindergarten students?
Not childish, but designed for simple users who are happily embracing all what is "shiny, cute and minimalist".

In short words... Mozilla has become a total commercial sell-out.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Mozilla described the plan to destroy Firefox in detail

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-15, 17:57

At least they should have hired some real artists with the budget they have.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-05-15, 19:09

Well, it least it doesn't look like the Google Chrome browser anymore. Now it looks like the Microsoft Edge browser.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-05-15, 19:22

How is a browser supposed to look without looking like others.
1.tabs.
2.search bar.
3.settings button.

These apply to all browsers.
Firefox is not the chrome garbage.I believe firefox is better than chrome. :crazy:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-05-15, 19:58

Pale Moon and SeaMonkey don't look like Firefox, Chrome (and all the Chrome wannabes) or Edge browsers. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To add, I don't like the Modern (Flat) look whether it be in a browser (Edge and the upcoming Firefox 57) or the entire operating system as in Windows 10 (and my default operating system is not flat looking either).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-05-15, 19:59

Moonraker wrote:
Firefox is not the chrome garbage.I believe firefox is better than chrome.
Not when FF 57 lands. Then it will be just as bad as Chrome.
Night Wing wrote:
To add, I don't like the Modern (Flat) look
I agree 100% with that sentiment. I wonder if those that like the flat gray scale, minimalist look also have black and white TVs?

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-05-15, 20:04

Night Wing wrote:I don't like the Modern (Flat) look whether it be in a browser (Edge and the upcoming Firefox 57) or the entire operating system as in Windows 10

Neither do I.

Worse, I think the currently-trendy flat UI look is actually worse for usability and eye-fatigue than what proceeded it in most cases.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-05-15, 20:16

Not when FF 57 lands. Then it will be just as bad as Chrome.
In what way.?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-15, 20:17

Most "modern" UIs are specifically catered to phone screens and their inherent issues:
  • Poor color representation. Going for monochrome, mostly greyscale is the safest bet.
  • Contrast pumped to silly levels; often, "modern" UI designers as a result choose grey-on-grey tones to make their UI less harsh on the eyes to compensate for this overbearing contrast of phone screens. This means a screen with proper contrast settings (desktop) will have (very) poor UI contrast as a result.
  • Slow composition&refresh; making things flat, uniform color with square edges makes compositing faster, and is easier on the eyes if dealing with slow refresh rates or ghosting.
Of course add to that huge amounts of extra whitespace for grubby fingers, and there you go -- you have the current trend of these designs.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-05-15, 20:20

Moonraker wrote:
In what way.?
For one, it's dropping support for traditional add-ons in favor of (very limited) web extensions.

wyMnNHXB

Unread post by wyMnNHXB » 2017-05-16, 14:00

Moonchild wrote: phone screens and their inherent issues:
I think that you are underestimating modern phones. Event cheap models nowadays have pretty decent color accuracy and other specs, often better than these of desktop screen panels.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-05-16, 17:01

wyMnNHXB wrote:Event cheap models nowadays have pretty decent color accuracy and other specs, often better than these of desktop screen panels.
LOL!
At least, that's what they'd like people to think.

Moonchild is right..
Smart phones and tablets are the reason why websites are turing to shit!

I've often found myself in a situation where I thought a page didn't load properly.
..only to discover that they've "upgraded" their design, to accommodate those state-of-the-art rice cookers!

wyMnNHXB

Unread post by wyMnNHXB » 2017-05-16, 18:30

Tomaso wrote:Smart phones and tablets are the reason
May be. But definitely not because of the color accuracy IMO.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-05-16, 19:38

Rice cookers everywhere resent that remark and will now march on the streets and burn cars and dumpters to show their frustrations.
Well at least that's how it works on everything else around my country. :mrgreen:

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-05-16, 22:54

wyMnNHXB wrote:
Tomaso wrote:Smart phones and tablets are the reason
May be. But definitely not because of the color accuracy IMO.

I agree. Though I think Moonchild was correct about the higher contrast being more useful on a small screen for some people, as well as the larger spacing for touch UI needs, and square edges for (presumably) GPU performance reasons.

But the funny thing about contrast is I often use techniques to remove most of the blinding white backgrounds in UI's specifically because the white hurts my eyes after a while. (E.g., I use the "dark background on white text" Firefox/Android add-on, with the colors reset to provide a grey background and black text, on my phones)

And I would still prefer a more 3D/translucent/'real color' type UI on mobile devices anyway, because it's just more visually appealing to me. These modern UI's make me feel like I'm playing with some kind of Fisher-Price children's toy.

LAMBDA471

Unread post by LAMBDA471 » 2017-05-17, 08:02

Originally I was excited (back in the day) about Firefox 4 and the future of Firefox, but after the horrible rocky start I quickly lost hope in Firefox and after I've discovered Pale Moon and then tested Firefox again, it felt like Firefox is just going downhill - it may look sleek and OK to the average user, but people who know what's going on can immediately spot that Firefox is becoming worse and worse with each passing month.

And to think around 2007-8 Firefox used to be my favorite browser and it was actually awesome back then....

To be honest, basic users who don't use addons or just use adblock or something basic without even tweaking will continue to use Firefox and won't spot much of a difference, that's the most basic kind of basic users, everyone else who knows what's going on will either like it leave it.

Someone told me he read something about Pale Moon devs bing concerned with the future of Pale Moon itself after Firefox 57, but I can't find anything written about that here.

The only browsers I sincerely like and use are Vivaldi and Pale Moon, everything else is fascist garbage that doesn't let you tweak anything.

I can't wait for Mozzilla to destroy their browser and alienate their users. :twisted:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-17, 10:22

PhilK wrote:But the funny thing about contrast is I often use techniques to remove most of the blinding white backgrounds in UI's specifically because the white hurts my eyes after a while.
If this is the case, then your phone's screen settings are cranked up way too high. I can stare at my desktop screen with primarily white surfaces all day and it doesn't hurt my eyes.
Try lowering your brightness to, say, half of what you have now. Give it an hour to adjust your brain to it.

Also, the way TFT screens work is that color accuracy goes hand in hand with contrast. if the contrast is cranked up, color representation becomes false. That's true for any flat screen, not even talking about what the brain does to try and compensate for looking into a lamp.

And the point I was making is that UI designs that are specifically made to be usable on such cranked-up screens are inherently going to have poor visibility on properly-set screens.

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-05-17, 15:06

Moonchild wrote:
PhilK wrote:But the funny thing about contrast is I often use techniques to remove most of the blinding white backgrounds in UI's specifically because the white hurts my eyes after a while.
If this is the case, then your phone's screen settings are cranked up way too high. I can stare at my desktop screen with primarily white surfaces all day and it doesn't hurt my eyes.

Note that I didn't mention I do that on desktop because I have much more of a problem with eye fatigue on small screens simply because focusing on small screens with small text is a huge problem for me these days regardless of the brightness of the display or content. My eyesight has degraded precipitously in recent years and I probably need prescription reading glasses rather than the generic ones I generally use. And I'm older than you. :P

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-18, 21:21

Mozilla have decided to ruin Firefox for Android at the same time as desktop version:
Jorge Villalobos wrote:After looking into the most critical add-ons for mobile and the implementation plan for WebExtensions, we have decided it’s best to have desktop and mobile share the same timeline. This means that mobile will be WebExtensions-only at the same time as desktop Firefox, in version 57.
Via Mozilla Add-ons Blog.