Mozilla described the plan to destroy Firefox in detail

General discussion and chat (archived)
CharmCityCrab

Re: Mozilla described the plan to destroy Firefox in detail

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-16, 03:01

GreenGeek wrote:Sounds like a nightmare. Who's going to support all those users whining about things that not working the same as in Cyberfox? I thought the topic was more development support not increasing usage stats.
It seems to me that usage stats drive development support to some degree, and certainly website support. Pale Moon is already having issues with websites not respecting standards and coding purely for the major browsers. Imagine what will happen when even Firefox no longer has a similar rendering engine. It seems to me that to remain "in the game" as a primary browser for all but the most committed ideologues, Pale Moon may need to increase the number of users in order to give itself enough clout that websites will feel more of a desire to support it. And of course, with a bunch of users, often also comes more developers for a browser and more add-ons designed for a browser, because some people would probably like to know they are going to reach a reasonably large group of users before putting a lot of effort into something (Especially when it can't serve as a vanity project- if a browser can't get a certain amount of users, potential developers might just say "Why not contribute to a larger browser?" or "If not many people are going to use it either way, why not fork off my own browser. A critical mass may have to be reached user wise).

It's just a theory. Who knows how things will go in reality. But I would definitely be looking for ways to increase user base, developers actively involved in the project, and add-on development, were I in MoonChild's shoes. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. It is of course entirely up to him. But we may be headed towards a situation where a change of approach is needed in order to make sure the browser is viable in five years time as a general use thing. My big priority right now would be getting the number of users up- by all possible methods, so long as they are ethical, including the possibilities of acquisitions of or mergers with other similar browsers.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-16, 03:06

Matt A Tobin wrote:
CharmCityCrab wrote: I would be interesting in seeing how the Waterfox developer thinks his project will differ from Pale Moon over the long term.
Well.. It will be based on the Firefox Application code and UX as it is today. Where as Pale Moon's last Application code was based on Firefox how it was UX wise.

Obviously, they are gonna cater to current Waterfox users and current Firefox users of today who want all that current day Australis Firefox offers. Where as Pale Moon caters to a reasonable extent to former Firefox users of long standing.
That makes sense. Are we sure that they even like the current Firefox UX or care about it, though? Maybe they are just carrying some aspects of it forward out of inertia. Maybe they'd be satisfied with Lootyhoof's Australis theme.

I just think adding the Pale Moon developers to the Waterfox guy and all the professional developers he wants to hire, with a joint userbase, could result in something with a lot of growth potential at a time where Pale Moon is going to need to grow a lot.

I understand that Waterfox may want to do different things, making that impossible, and I also understand that there are things that are in between a merger and doing nothing- like cooperating on select elements of code that are shared in common and the like, and, since both are open-source, adopting elements of each other's projects where it fits with their own visions and is compatible with their code, things that would certainly be better than nothing.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-16, 04:46

Do I need to spell it out for you? It is entirely possible to build Pale Moon's application code along side Waterfox's Application code along side SeaMonkey/MailNews Core and Thunderbird/MailNews Core/Chat Core and InstantBird/Chat Core on one unified platform codebase.. I totally know how to make that happen.

The real question is.. Will these other projects pull off something that is worth the effort for Pale Moon to join up with them.. Can these projects all cooperate together and will such an alliance hold up over time.. Will this actually go anywhere.. No one knows.. Thus far, Pale Moon is the only one that has done this stuff.. The rest are rebuilds and in comm-central's case platform leeches (and no I am not adding a negative connotation here this is purely from a technical level.. I hope you guys can tell the difference).

If Tycho proved anything it is this.. Whatever happens, whatever decisions are made, there is no reason ever to expect Pale Moon won't stay true to being Pale Moon. Like I said, will it be worth it to us? Sure it would be of great worth to them because I don't think they have scratched the surface yet of what is actually going to be required to pull off our trick again. Sure it can be done.. We proved that again and again but WILL it be done and will whatever they come up with either separate or together even be viable or will each project compromise the shared platform solely for their own uses and just be no better than Mozilla.. Will they even consider the non-application code a platform others can use.

This project has already been through that. When I first joined up the platform code wasn't really fit to be used by anything BUT Pale Moon because as a rebuild with some independent development, at the time.. No one else was expected to use it.. That wasn't even a real possibility at the time and didn't even cross anyone's minds. It had specific changes and even breaking changes that were Pale Moon specific. When FossaMail first came along it wasn't even built against the Pale Moon backend because AT THE TIME.. It simply couldn't be. One of the things I set out to do was to resolve these issues and put my case forward that even if in the end no one ever took advantage of our platform code.. It should be done properly so the possibility remained viable. That took a little convincing but I presented my case and Moonchild agreed.

Now assuming SeaMonkey/Thunderbird/Instantbird continues on on its own or latches onto Waterfox they are gonna accept any changes to platform because that is what they have been forced to do so long.. Or they may over compensate for sudden freedom by making all kinds of bad decisions on their own.. Same goes with Waterfox.. They don't entirely build their browser and the codebase in a standard mozilla way so changes they make may not accommodate standard mozilla procedure both Pale Moon and SM/TB would expect.

So you see.. It can get very complex and very confusing very quickly. It could end up as one of two bad options.. One group becomes Mozilla Lite and dictates everything to the other groups or it ends in a free-for-all and god knows what will be the end result.

Obviously, the solution is a firm alliance with a governance made up of representatives of all concerned projects to maintain a central base repository. However, conflicts in ways of doing things or what should and shouldn't happen could see that crash and burn quickly.. That assumes such a thing could even be attempted.

Despite my hopes and dreams of a grand vision of a great future where we all come together to form the "Mozilla that should have been".. I have to accede to reality where .. It could.. It can.. But likely won't happen. At the very least not in a way that would be worth it to our project or our users.

However, we should just wait and see what happens. I will say this though.. If it looks like something could happen.. I will be the first one to help.. Trust.

LigH1L
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LigH1L » 2017-03-16, 10:48

Moonchild wrote:Also, I think you forgot to mention in your OP the disabling of NPAPI plugins in Firefox 52... (but leaving Flash enabled anyway... "special treatment") :P

Only 52ESR will still support plug-ins beyond Flash until that runs EoL.
Well, Firefox 52.0 appeared. And indeed: A browser plugin to display video of surveillance cameras does not load anymore. Have to use MSIE instead ... or Pale Moon. 8-)
Fun and success!

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-16, 19:52

Matt A Tobin wrote:Do I need to spell it out for you? It is entirely possible to build Pale Moon's application code along side Waterfox's Application code along side SeaMonkey/MailNews Core and Thunderbird/MailNews Core/Chat Core and InstantBird/Chat Core on one unified platform codebase.. I totally know how to make that happen.

The real question is.. Will these other projects pull off something that is worth the effort for Pale Moon to join up with them.. Can these projects all cooperate together and will such an alliance hold up over time.. Will this actually go anywhere.. No one knows.. Thus far, Pale Moon is the only one that has done this stuff.. The rest are rebuilds and in comm-central's case platform leeches (and no I am not adding a negative connotation here this is purely from a technical level.. I hope you guys can tell the difference).

If Tycho proved anything it is this.. Whatever happens, whatever decisions are made, there is no reason ever to expect Pale Moon won't stay true to being Pale Moon. Like I said, will it be worth it to us? Sure it would be of great worth to them because I don't think they have scratched the surface yet of what is actually going to be required to pull off our trick again. Sure it can be done.. We proved that again and again but WILL it be done and will whatever they come up with either separate or together even be viable or will each project compromise the shared platform solely for their own uses and just be no better than Mozilla.. Will they even consider the non-application code a platform others can use.

This project has already been through that. When I first joined up the platform code wasn't really fit to be used by anything BUT Pale Moon because as a rebuild with some independent development, at the time.. No one else was expected to use it.. That wasn't even a real possibility at the time and didn't even cross anyone's minds. It had specific changes and even breaking changes that were Pale Moon specific. When FossaMail first came along it wasn't even built against the Pale Moon backend because AT THE TIME.. It simply couldn't be. One of the things I set out to do was to resolve these issues and put my case forward that even if in the end no one ever took advantage of our platform code.. It should be done properly so the possibility remained viable. That took a little convincing but I presented my case and Moonchild agreed.

Now assuming SeaMonkey/Thunderbird/Instantbird continues on on its own or latches onto Waterfox they are gonna accept any changes to platform because that is what they have been forced to do so long.. Or they may over compensate for sudden freedom by making all kinds of bad decisions on their own.. Same goes with Waterfox.. They don't entirely build their browser and the codebase in a standard mozilla way so changes they make may not accommodate standard mozilla procedure both Pale Moon and SM/TB would expect.

So you see.. It can get very complex and very confusing very quickly. It could end up as one of two bad options.. One group becomes Mozilla Lite and dictates everything to the other groups or it ends in a free-for-all and god knows what will be the end result.

Obviously, the solution is a firm alliance with a governance made up of representatives of all concerned projects to maintain a central base repository. However, conflicts in ways of doing things or what should and shouldn't happen could see that crash and burn quickly.. That assumes such a thing could even be attempted.

Despite my hopes and dreams of a grand vision of a great future where we all come together to form the "Mozilla that should have been".. I have to accede to reality where .. It could.. It can.. But likely won't happen. At the very least not in a way that would be worth it to our project or our users.

However, we should just wait and see what happens. I will say this though.. If it looks like something could happen.. I will be the first one to help.. Trust.
I think I see the broad outline of what you're saying- essentially a common platform code with contributions from multiple projects, likely based on the existing Pale Moon platform code base and going from there, with each project still handling their application code base independently (With the obvious caveat that being open-source projects, all would be able to use anything they might choose to use from the others- where, when, and if they wanted to, if they could make it work with their own application code).

I think that type of cooperation would be a very good thing, and would help a relatively small number of overall developers maximize each of their individual impacts by one one person having to do a give task on the platform code and it automatically benefiting all the projects involved. It also puts more people in the mix and thus hopefully more ideas, giving the platform the most solid ideas and the most developer support possible going forward. So, it somewhat addresses the perceived developer shortage- and is clearly a good thing relative to the status quo, provided that the platform code is well managed by the hypothetical consortium of projects sharing a common platform code.

Having said that, though, there is another issue going on- which is that many websites do not feel they have to provide a function website to Pale Moon users, because we are so few relative to the major browsers. I've seen estimates ranging from 500,000-750,000 Pale Moon users, which is a lot, but still less than 1% of the web. I don't know what threshold we'd have to reach to get broader support, but I am thinking at least 5%. This is where folding other projects and their users into Pale Moon would help- instead of, say, 5 browsers with half a percent of the market each, we could have one browser with 2.5% of the market and grow from there. All these browsers could present the same user agent string to sites and sites could see for themselves that the marketshare is getting big enough to cater to the way they do other browsers. Similarly, though obviously Thunderbird is an email client and not a web browser, if a deal could be worked out to say Thunderbird is powered by Pale Moon or to otherwise expose the Pale Moon brand to Thunderbird users, that's a win.

If all the collaboration is behind the scenes, it does have many benefits relative to not collaborating, but it doesn't necessarily do much about the problem of websites refusing to deal with any browsers not named Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox (Or that aren't able to feed the same user strings and use the exact same rendering engine under the hood). I even saw that directvnow.com (New streaming service from the satellite company meant to compete with Sling and Playstation Vue) now doesn't even list Firefox as being a supported browser! Directv Now may still work with Firefox, I don't know, but I was just browsing (Not a subscriber) and at one point I clicked on the free trial button in Pale Moon to get a closer look at terms and conditions, and it demanded I use a supported browser, and listed only 3 (!), none of which were Firefox. Even Firefox is falling below the threshold where every site will support it (It's at 9% or so marketshare now, right?).

Take a look: https://www.directvnow.com/accounts/Bro ... orted.html Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer- that's it.

I get what you're saying and it's a good helpful plan, but I am not sure it by itself addresses the *other* big issue Pale Moon is facing, which is a web that's moving away from supporting smaller browsers (The only obvious solution to which, other than adopting the same exact rendering engine as a larger browser [Which is less than ideal], is to become a bigger browser in terms of userbase. That's where true mergers as opposed to cooperative deals would help more. However, obviously, if all one can get are cooperative deals, it's better than nothing.).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-17, 13:30

My $0.02:

There are conflicting forces at work on the web:
  • Standardization: the documentation and standardization of technologies, procedures and APIs. This plays in any browser's favor if they aim to be standards compliant.
  • Limited-browser focus: websites specifically not following standards but designing their content specifically for specific versions of specific browsers (and often adding extra checks to refuse access to any but those).
In all aspects, the first force is the best for everyone. It supports long-term compatibility, an Open Web, and unified and solid underpinnings for webdesign.

Why is the second force so problematic then? Because many companies are using short-term solutions and want self-contained, one-shot changes. Why? Outsourcing, basically. Which boils down to economics and maximizing margins. i.e.: the 2%-er syndrome.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

redblade7

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-03-19, 03:43

Yep, this is what happens when you put a browser under the control of a tax shelter running on donations from a competitor.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-19, 07:43

redblade7 wrote:Yep, this is what happens when you put a browser under the control of a tax shelter running on donations from a competitor.
Firefox is now mostly running on payments from Yahoo (It inked a deal to make Yahoo its default search engine, and Yahoo now advertises Firefox on its website) and Mozilla is currently a for-profit corporation and not *just* non-profit foundation (I guess making it two closely intertwined entities).

They actually were providing a better product when they were just a non-profit (Which makes sense) and running mostly on donations from Google (Which I agree doesn't make sense as it presents an inherent conflict of interest, but it was what it was). Granted, they were still with Google as their main search engine for a lot of their slide into Chrome-clone irrelevance.

It'd actually be interesting to read an honest in-depth article or blog entry from someone who was on the inside of Mozilla when things took the turn they took. They can't possibly think that their shrinking marketshare is based on them not being enough like Chrome. Yes, Chrome ate into a lot of Firefox's audience, but I think to this day they'd be neck and neck in marketshare had they decided to double down on the things Chrome didn't offer and provide an alternative rather than abandoning the the unique qualities they could compete with and substititing in immitations for Chrome. It plays out as though they think they are fighting to win back Chrome users by being more like Chrome, and that doesn't seem like a good strategy.

Granted, the last Firefox for desktop that I really liked was something like version 4.0. About a year into the 6 week release window thing, it took me hours to revert negative changes they made (Counting time to lool uo how to do each of them because I couldn't remember a lot of it off the top of my head) anytime I had to do a fresh install or profile. I think at some point I faced that again and just said "This is not worth my time" and promptly installed Chrome, because I gave up. Later I found Pale Moon, which was the alternate universe Firefox I wanted years prior, and I didn't look back- Pale Moon was and is the vast majority of what I want in a desktop browser with the right themes and addons installed.

I get the impression that much of the Pale Moom user base left over Australius. I was already long-gone.

Having said that, Firefox is providing a pretty solid Android competitor to Chrome. I use that and like it and am glad someone is in that space offering a browser with add-ons. Chrome for Android doesn't offer ad-blockers or any add-ons at all, because they don't have to (Very few users seem to know they have alternatives on Android), which tells you exactly where they would go on Windows and Linux and such with a true monopoly. If I recall correctly, Chrome for desktop started out without add-ons, but added them as part of a bid to compete better and overtake Firefox.

I actually do kind of worry that Mozilla may drop Firefox for Android because its not gathering steam and marketshare on that platform, and leave nothing left for Android users but to return to the addon-less Chrome. It'd be nice if more browsers would dip their toe into thst. If Mozilla is looking at something to throw money at, why not market their Android browser? Because Android users I really think are genuinely unaware that it exists and don't even stop to think that they have a choice and could habe addons on a phone browser. Of course, Mozilla cares less and less about customizability on desktop, so, who knows how long their Android browser will remain good?

I wonder if at some future point, when and if Mozilla is done in this sphere, they will gift the Firefox name and logo to someone who will use it in the old spirit of Firefox we liked. It'd be a shame if that great name snd logo a lot of folks have fond memories of winds up meeting the fate of the old Netscape name and logo where some big cooperation have inherited them.and don't use them (Fortunately, they don't seem to object to Netscape type themes on other browsers, but no one can actually call their browser Netscape "out of the box".

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-03-24, 11:26

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/24/here-i ... ew-design/

Damage control so that the idea is not fully upcoming that Firefox turns into an almost Chrome clone? :D Still, even with square tabs back Mozilla still stays the on advanced users spitting company, which has done that already since quite a long time. Discriminating Anti-functionality developers still stay exactly that and it is not going to change because they change suddenly something back to "normal" and make it again not-Chrome-like!

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-03-24, 11:42

Sajadi wrote:http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/24/here-i ... ew-design/

Damage control so that the idea is not fully upcoming that Firefox turns into an almost Chrome clone? :D Still, even with square tabs back Mozilla still stays the on advanced users spitting company, which has done that already since quite a long time. Discriminating Anti-functionality developers still stay exactly that and it is not going to change because they change suddenly something back to "normal" and make it again not-Chrome-like!
Once this design lands in the trunk I may try to make another theme for it... ;)

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-03-24, 12:04

Lootyhoof wrote:Once this design lands in the trunk I may try to make another theme for it... ;)
Make a dark variant too, there are way too less good black themes around :D

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-03-25, 00:12

Sajadi wrote:Make a dark variant too, there are way too less good black themes around :D
I second that one. :thumbup:

jsc1973

Unread post by jsc1973 » 2017-03-26, 07:23

CharmCityCrab wrote:
redblade7 wrote:Yep, this is what happens when you put a browser under the control of a tax shelter running on donations from a competitor.
Granted, the last Firefox for desktop that I really liked was something like version 4.0. About a year into the 6 week release window thing, it took me hours to revert negative changes they made (Counting time to lool uo how to do each of them because I couldn't remember a lot of it off the top of my head) anytime I had to do a fresh install or profile. I think at some point I faced that again and just said "This is not worth my time" and promptly installed Chrome, because I gave up. Later I found Pale Moon, which was the alternate universe Firefox I wanted years prior, and I didn't look back- Pale Moon was and is the vast majority of what I want in a desktop browser with the right themes and addons installed.

I get the impression that much of the Pale Moom user base left over Australius. I was already long-gone.
This is pretty much how I felt about it, as well. For the longest time, I "fixed" Firefox to make it work the way it used to when Mozilla kept tweaking it to look and function more like Chrome. It finally got to the point where it was almost not worth the effort for me, either. I complained to Mozilla several times, more or less saying (along with many others) that if I wanted to use Chrome, I would use Chrome, so please make Firefox instead of Chromefox. When I found Pale Moon, I felt pretty much the same thing--this is what Firefox should be. I still used FF part of the time up until Australis, but I've more or less dropped it entirely now except on my Android phone, where it works better than anything else. Of course, that's just Gecko running in a mobile package...

Desktop FF is almost pointless now. It's an inferior version of Chrome with a different browser engine. On those rare occasions when I run into some crap site that refuses to work with PM, I go to Chrome before FF. (Can't do IE since I'm completely on Linux these days.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-26, 16:09

jsc1973 wrote:Desktop FF is almost pointless now.
But it can do WebAssembly and full-blown 3d rendering now! And take 1.3GB of RAM while playing a zen garden demo! Because those things are important for a web browser!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-03-26, 23:03

Pretty much sums up my thoughts in this thread: https://gizmodo.com/what-the-hell-happe ... 1791336285
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-03-27, 07:56

Lootyhoof wrote: Once this design lands in the trunk I may try to make another theme for it... ;)
Is it possible to make (full)theme in WebExtensions platform?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-27, 14:58

No it isn't.. Webextension themes will only be capable of css changes likely only css color changes and maybe a toolbar background ala Personas.. To what degree no one is sure.. But every indication from what has been stated already there is no possibility for widget changes unless all widgets are drawn with css. But who can tell... I doubt Mozilla will ever offer the degree that we have now.

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-03-28, 15:10

Matt A Tobin wrote:The real question is.. Will these other projects pull off something that is worth the effort for Pale Moon to join up with them.. Can these projects all cooperate together and will such an alliance hold up over time.. [...]

...will whatever they come up with either separate or together even be viable or will each project compromise the shared platform solely for their own uses and just be no better than Mozilla.. Will they even consider the non-application code a platform others can use. [...]

Good points re: the pitfalls of such alliances. I haven't followed much of the history in detail but the impression I get of these other projects based on skimming a few discussions here is that they simply are either not as committed to their project as Moonchild and his helpers are, or they just don't have the combined expertise that the PM devs have. Having to put the future of the combined project at the mercy of such people is not something I would imagine Moonchild is entirely serene about jumping into, and I wouldn't blame him for that. And that's not even mentioning all the personality issues that often come up in these sorts of things.

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-03-28, 15:12

CharmCityCrab wrote:...and Mozilla is currently a for-profit corporation and not *just* non-profit foundation...

AFAIK Mozilla has had a for-profit parent company for many years now.

CharmCityCrab wrote:Having said that, Firefox is providing a pretty solid Android competitor to Chrome. I use that and like it and am glad someone is in that space offering a browser with add-ons. Chrome for Android doesn't offer ad-blockers or any add-ons at all, because they don't have to (Very few users seem to know they have alternatives on Android), which tells you exactly where they would go on Windows and Linux and such with a true monopoly.
Regarding ad-blockers, do not EVER expect Google to do anything to make that kind of functionality available on ANY browser with their name on it. 95% of Google's revenue is via some sort of advertising tie-in, and they are viscerally opposed to ad-blocking.

As for Android alternatives, unfortunately the available options are not very thrilling overall (and iOS is much worse!), Firefox is pretty much the only browser I trust on Android that is still practical. And NoScript even has a beta version for Android Firefox now. :thumbup: