Forum Avatars any chance?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

steviem1

Forum Avatars any chance?

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-09-29, 07:03

We've been without the personal avatars for some time now due to forum problems, any possibility of bringing them back anytime?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Forum Avatars any chance?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-29, 07:37

I'm sorry, but no. My web hosting service provider is unhappy with them enabled, and I don't want them throwing a fit and suspending the account again because of "CPU usage" issues. Not sure what they run the server on but it's rather crappy hardware, for sure (maybe an Atom...)

Topic moved to the proper board as well. Can you please post in the correct board?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-09-29, 09:01

Or maybe only allow pics from external sites? So this only need traffic

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-29, 09:53

I don't want to allow externally linked pics. People will hotlink all sorts of images and content that can both make the forum really slow (people linking to full-size 600dpi images as "avatar") and potentially unsafe (A server can be set up to serve non-image content even if an extension is for an image file).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2012-09-29, 19:16

Avatars are a distraction, they only get in the way of a nice clean site.

Disabling the ability to post in green would be an improvement too <smiley face>

signed Sid

4 metre monitor, 400 gig ram, faster processor than you can imagine...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-29, 20:52

Nothing wrong with a little COLOR

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-09-29, 23:32

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

:wtf: :clap: :lol:

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-09-30, 08:30

Moonchild wrote:Nothing wrong with a little COLOR
Except when you have to quote it to check the colour used - and it's in code :wtf:

Fires up Colorblind Assistant ...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-30, 08:58

If you're colorblind - then I'd expect you to have some tools or add-ons to help you display pages in a legible form.

ninaholic

Unread post by ninaholic » 2012-09-30, 18:48

sIDcORK wrote:Disabling the ability to post in green would be an improvement too <smiley face>
Try high-contrast mode. All text here shows up white for me, including Moonchild's and lobocursor's :) (blue for links). The buttons for "Edit" and "Quote" don't show up in it, but I can just move my cursor around the area to find them (as the alt text pops up).

I wondered what happened to avatars too (they sort of give each user a "personality"). I guess it's ok this way. I dislike forums that let people have avatars and signatures that can be 100's of MB animated pictures that you can't turn off and fill up half the screen when you're trying to navigate through posts (once in a while they can be entertaining I guess).

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-09-30, 20:35

ninaholic wrote:I dislike forums that let people have avatars and signatures that can be 100's of MB animated pictures that you can't turn off and fill up half the screen when you're trying to navigate through posts (once in a while they can be entertaining I guess).
Quite agree! Animated/flashing avatars are a menace although I have yet to find one that is remotely "entertaining" as soon as you actually try to read a forum post nearby or even on the same page! :evil: No avatars like this PLEASE!

If anyone wants to see a particularly egregious example of an "animated/flashing" menace in action try this idiotic avatar on the CleanMem forum: http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/t ... l#msg25891 How annoying/distracting is that!
Add in the rather purile "shagger1" pseudonym and the only picture in my mind's eye is one of a complete t*****? :twisted:

PS. I was following up satrow's mention of CleanMem in Memoryfox topic: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... nmem#p7510 Seems to work but I'm not convinced it's either good science or good programming but we probably need another topic to thrash that one out! Thanks anyway satrow - a very intriguing "memory optimiser" program! :)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-10-01, 01:21

I just made a flag of my country (green white red) with the "dots" (ALT + 2,5,4 in numeric keyboard). Color blind people see shades of grey, so meanwhile we don't use too bright colors (ie. yellow) I think is fine. Often I prefer to use bold for remark stuff.