Nice browser based HTML5 game

General discussion and chat (archived)
stravinsky

Nice browser based HTML5 game

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-08-19, 16:14

http://upsidedownturtle.com/boredboredbored/

This is a HTML5 browser game. When playing this game with Intel Integrated Graphics, can cause Memory bloat on Firefox.
This is a known bug, and out of the scope of firefox/Palemoon developers, as this is basically a INTEL DRIVER issue. With a AMD/ATI/Nvidia graphics -discrete or integrated- there is no issue at all.

To resolve this, Mozilla devs have disabled DX10 hardware accelerated layer when an Intel IGP is detected. This patch has landed in Firefox16 Aurora.

bug #767337

Edit : Intel IGP drivers suck.
Last edited by stravinsky on 2012-08-20, 11:09, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pointing the finger at the wrong people.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-19, 17:03

Note that Intel integrated graphics are a really really bad design and will cause no end of trouble. Note also that the Mozilla blocklist has plenty of entries already for that bad chipset to block acceleration, layers, etc.

If you blame Pale Moon or Firefox beta/release for this, you are pointing the finger at the wrong people. If you want to play that game, you should get yourself a real video card. Just because it is browser-based doesn't mean it's no less taxing on a system than a standalone game - in fact, it's even more so since it's made in an interpreted language. If memory use grows exponentially, it's because of the hardware acceleration going haywire on that chipset and with those drivers. That is wholly out of the hands of browser developers, and at most can get a bandaid. Or just disable the acceleration, will probably fix it too ;)

EDIT: thanks for including the bug number! Looks like a patch to land in Pale Moon 15.1
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Nice browser based HTML5 game

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-19, 17:06

*2 minutes later after checking the URL out*
And the game is really simple and quite boring. So.. were you just making a point of "pushing for the next iteration of Firefox" or what? :evil:
Performance
3bored makes extensive use of javascript and the canvas tag (Sorry IE, you're not invited to the party.). The smaller your window, the better the game will run. You'll most likely have best results in Safari/Webkit, Firefox 3, Opera, and Chrome. If your browser or computer aren't fast enough with javascript or canvas, I don't care! If 3bored crashes your browser, I take glee in its accomplishment.
^ Developer obviously doesn't care that it performs poorly on old systems or integrated graphics ;P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-08-19, 17:35

just an interesting thing i found. thats why its posted in "general discussion" . not even in "tech chat". I found it amusing and funny, and wanted to share it with other forum members.
This was posted to illustrate the quirks in a complex software + poor drivers. Where did you get the idea i am blaming anything?
So.. were you just making a point of "pushing for the next iteration of Firefox" or what? :evil:
cant understand what you are saying. Care to reword?

Note that Intel integrated graphics are a really really bad design and will cause no end of trouble.
cant comment on the hardware, but the Intel IGP windows drivers are horrible. And non functioning for lots of cases.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-19, 17:50

Sent you a PM.

If you already know the drivers are bad, you shouldn't be surprised it goes out of bounds on a canvas game, on certain computer and browser combinations...
Canvas implementation is pretty solid by now. Actually, you might even get better memory performance if you enable the azure wrapper instead on that chipset.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-08-20, 01:57

What a boring game?!?!?! If you need to check something better why not use a well known face? :mrgreen:

http://worldsbiggestpacman.com/
Play pacman in a wacky way!!! Seems to be an HTML5 game maybe some flash involved.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-08-20, 04:32

Actually, you might even get better memory performance if you enable the azure wrapper instead on that chipset.
how do i do that ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-20, 10:28

stravinsky wrote:
Actually, you might even get better memory performance if you enable the azure wrapper instead on that chipset.
how do i do that ?
Set gfx.canvas.azure.enabled to true in about:config

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-08-20, 15:47

i checked and it is already true.
do you enable that flag during the build ? i dont remember enabling that flag, but i might have done and forgotten.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-20, 15:54

Ah, my bad, yes it's already enabled for canvas by default, but not for content. Since this is a canvas game, it won't make a difference.