Google Tracking?...and other obnoxious Google Privacy Items!

For the more technical/geeky chat subjects!

Moderator: satrow

dv8cowboy

Google Tracking?...and other obnoxious Google Privacy Items!

Postby dv8cowboy » Tue, 22 May 2012, 08:59

I really am protective of my online privacy,and I found this FF extension that works wonderfully on Pale Moon.I hope you find it at least interesting:

http://abine.com/googlesharing/

It works well with DNT+ and Ghostery as well.What it really does is confuse Google by directing results via proxy to somebody else's account in every case.It works!

I also use Anti-spyware and Malwarebytes as well as Avast! Home Pro...all of which are helpful.I use http://startingpage.com as my main search engine on Pale Moon and DuckDuckGo as my secondary search engine.Google is no where to be found on MY Pale Moon.Another point of interest,the googlesharing found FIVE Google related things on just one page I browsed to,all blocked of course.I can find anything I want without Google and get the same relevant results....with no privacy issues!

Kind regards,
-Cowboy

User avatar
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3769
Joined: Mon, 03 Oct 2011, 10:19
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Google Tracking?...and other obnoxious Google Privacy It

Postby Night Wing » Tue, 22 May 2012, 12:27

Google does track you, but I still consider it the best search engine for the internet in my opinion.

As an example. I like to catch blue crabs using crab "traps". The two best suppliers of crab traps, "not crab pots", for recreational crabbers are Capt Bruce and Capt Moose. With Google, both captains websites come up.

Using Google, type in Capt Moose or Captain Bruce and their websites are listed in a search as:

http://www.captmoose.com/

http://www.stackablecrabtraps.com/

DuckDuckGo and Ixquick will also list both captains' websites.

However, with some other search engines, trying to find Capt Moose's Crab Traps, his website won't be listed using the Slikk or Starting Page search engines and it doesn't matter what browser of choice one is using.
Linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce 64 Bit (Default OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu, 17 May 2012, 19:06

Re: Google Tracking?...and other obnoxious Google Privacy It

Postby Admin » Tue, 22 May 2012, 14:08

Dear Mr. Cowboy,

I'm sure you are concerned about your privacy, but needlessly repeating the same points over and over on this forum earns you no brownie points. We already know that you prefer startingpage, use Ghostery and DNT+, and hate Google with a passion. We get it, already.

Considering your post was reported, it means that you are starting to irritate fellow forum users with this. You can please either drop the subject or you'll be given a cooldown period to think about what you want to post next time.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

dv8cowboy

Re: Google Tracking?...and other obnoxious Google Privacy It

Postby dv8cowboy » Tue, 22 May 2012, 19:11

Point well taken Nightwing,I might add Ixquick as a third search to verify what the others come up with.Although they have not let me down yet.Thanks for your comments! :)
-Cowboy

Night Wing wrote:Google does track you, but I still consider it the best search engine for the internet in my opinion.

As an example. I like to catch blue crabs using crab "traps". The two best suppliers of crab traps, "not crab pots", for recreational crabbers are Capt Bruce and Capt Moose. With Google, both captains websites come up.

Using Google, type in Capt Moose or Captain Bruce and their websites are listed in a search as:

http://www.captmoose.com/

http://www.stackablecrabtraps.com/

DuckDuckGo and Ixquick will also list both captains' websites.

However, with some other search engines, trying to find Capt Moose's Crab Traps, his website won't be listed using the Slikk or Starting Page search engines and it doesn't matter what browser of choice one is using.

dv8cowboy

Re: Google Tracking?...and other obnoxious Google Privacy It

Postby dv8cowboy » Tue, 22 May 2012, 19:13

Admin,
I note what you said.Thank you.
-Cowboy




Admin wrote:Dear Mr. Cowboy,

I'm sure you are concerned about your privacy, but needlessly repeating the same points over and over on this forum earns you no brownie points. We already know that you prefer startingpage, use Ghostery and DNT+, and hate Google with a passion. We get it, already.

Considering your post was reported, it means that you are starting to irritate fellow forum users with this. You can please either drop the subject or you'll be given a cooldown period to think about what you want to post next time.

dv8cowboy

Re: Google Tracking?...and other obnoxious Google Privacy It

Postby dv8cowboy » Tue, 22 May 2012, 20:55

I am a member of another Forum called IObit Forum and it turns out there is a link between Startingpage and ixtquick.....copied from a member by the name of enoskpe:


Join Date: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 7,873
Talking
OK guys,

Some of us may remember the discussion about ixquick quite a while ago!!!

On January 28, 2009, Ixquick stopped completely the recording of users' IP addresses. "Ixquick uses only one cookie called "preferences". This cookie is to remember the search preferences you saved for your next visit. It expires after not visiting Ixquick for 90 days and is anonymous".
Quote:
Wikipedia
Ixquick returns the top ten results from multiple search engines. It uses a "Star System" to rank its results - by awarding one star for every result that has been returned from a search engine
The Ixquick company also runs a search engine called Startpage, which uses only Google for results.
FYI, our old ixquick (multiple search engine results) is parent of StartPage (google search results). Ixquick has added a search name much-easier-to-remember Startpage in mid 2009.

Cheers.
__________________
氣 enoskype


-Cowboy

lyceus
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue, 13 Sep 2011, 23:08

Re: Google Tracking?...and other obnoxious Google Privacy It

Postby lyceus » Sun, 27 May 2012, 05:22

dv8cowboy wrote:I am a member of another Forum called IObit Forum and it turns out there is a link between Startingpage and ixtquick.....copied from a member by the name of enoskpe:


Dear dv8cowboy:

Maybe if you want to promote some pages you should just comment about them just one time and no more. This topic start to look like spam, instead to give you a warning I'll lock this topic. But please don't abuse of our goodwill. :problem:


Return to “Technical chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests