Hang on youtube

General discussion and chat (archived)
stravinsky

Hang on youtube

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-19, 06:19

when i open thisURL : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CagMNLxa9M , PM hangs. a "stop running script" dialog box appears after some time.

i tried in safe mode, and still it hangs.
in normal mode, i tried with HWA on/off. hanging in both cases.

using PM 12.3.

lyceus

Re: Hang on youtube

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-07-19, 06:27

stravinsky wrote:when i open thisURL : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CagMNLxa9M , PM hangs. a "stop running script" dialog box appears after some time.

i tried in safe mode, and still it hangs.
in normal mode, i tried with HWA on/off. hanging in both cases.

using PM 12.3.
Works fine in my side "Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs - Teaser " seems a scary video. I use Block Flash ad-on for let You tube start to broadcast the video when I want and not automatically.

If you see "stop running script" some ad or script blocker add-on is messing with You tube scripts, remember they change often their scritps for block add-ons that download videos.

Good luck! :D

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-07-19, 06:37

Yes, I am fully aware of this Amnesia game. Surely, you weren't just advertising the video/game?

I have no problems with the browser, only add-on is the Adblock+ Experimental.
Very few plugins, not much to bother my experience, yet too lazy to list them.

I used to get that script from the "Stable" version of Adblock+, but it could be any culprit as well.

@Lobo I use SmartVideo for Youtube set to just auto-stop playback but to pre-buff the video, so I can see it when it is ready. Just not currently on this PM.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-19, 06:49

i think i have diagnosed the issue. its related to HTML5.
i had disabled the flash plugin from my browser.
so when i opened the URL, a HTML5 video opened , which hangs the browser.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-07-19, 07:06

stravinsky wrote:i think i have diagnosed the issue. its related to HTML5.
i had disabled the flash plugin from my browser.
so when i opened the URL, a HTML5 video opened , which hangs the browser.
I did get a hang, it took a little while, I cannot define what is little to you or me. Not much of a waiting problem, though, for me.

I will try it on FX 15 B1, to see how it performs.

Edit: FX 15 B1 also comes across this problem and I got the script error, not on PM, though.
So, it is a Gecko problem.
Last edited by megaman on 2012-07-19, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-19, 07:09

onn ff17, the browser went into a crash-restart-crash cycle.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-07-19, 07:13

stravinsky wrote:onn ff17, the browser went into a crash-restart-crash cycle.
You got a crash?
Then, this is a typical Nightly instability, since no browser that I used crashed.

Hanging occurred, yes, but no crashes.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-19, 07:50

stravinsky wrote:onn ff17, the browser went into a crash-restart-crash cycle.
How about you go over to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org and report this bug there, since I really can't do anything about (or be bothered with) the instabilities of code that isn't release-ready yet. Make your contribution to the Mozilla project as a whole and help over half a billion users ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2012-07-19, 07:59

If we're talking YouTube hanging whilst trying to play videos, with it buffering part of the video but requiring you to press play for it to play (rather than it play automatically)
then it's related to a corrupt cookies.sqlite file. Head to your profile directory and delete/move your cookies.sqlite file and rename cookies.sqlite.bak to cookies.sqlite.

I had to do this just now as I was experiencing this exact problem which I've faced once before.

Luckily ff/PM keeps backups of these things.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-19, 10:16

How about you go over to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org and report this bug there, since I really can't do anything about (or be bothered with) the instabilities of code that isn't release-ready yet. Make your contribution to the Mozilla project as a whole and help over half a billion users ;)
already did that.
initially i thought this might be related to 12.2.1 - > 12.3 change, so i reported here first.
turned out it was a general bug, affecting all .
you can delete this thread if you want.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-19, 10:19

if its any consolation, opera12 also does quite poorly here, getting hanged/unresponsive.
Chrome 22 works perfectly here.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-19, 10:20

stravinsky wrote:if its any consolation, opera12 also does quite poorly here, getting hanged/unresponsive.
Chrome 22 works perfectly here.
Hah

OK, consider this then: Youtube = Google. Chrome = Google. Make other browsers look bad = more people on Google (since they won't stop using Youtube).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-19, 14:45

can someone bother to use IE9 and check if ie9 hangs a well in HTML5 mode?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-07-19, 15:22

Admin notice: Unrelated URL removed

I am not sure if this site is Google-oriented, at least wondering if it's owned by Google to favor it enough.

Firefox/PM with Ghostery and Adblock+ Experimental
SRWare Iron (Works the same for other Chromium-based browsers) with Ghostery and Adblock+ Experimental.

Chromium browsers load the site fast and ready to use, Gecko take a while to make it available. Even if there is text and a scroll-bar showing, I cannot scroll until the site is fully-done.

Laptop = Slow due to hardware and 6Mbps DSL, so you guys might have faster computers and net.

I am just debunking the part of the site favoring Chrome for being Google's, same thing for Yahoo!'s e-mail with Opera and Chromium being fast/responsive.

Edit: In due time, they might fix the problem with HTML5, for now, just complain in Bugzilla.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-19, 15:34

Laptop = Slow due to hardware and 6Mbps DSL
LOL.
my connection speed is 64KBps ADSL, which is greater than the average.

it appears its a YT issue. the moz devs have sent mail to YT people.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-19, 15:57

Of course it is a YT issue, just "conveniently left in on the live servers". Stravinsky, for someone who tends to wear a tinfoil hat, you seem to be oblivious to the obvious in this case ;) - I don't think for one second they would really forget to test YT changes on the most-used other browsers out there.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-07-19, 16:29

stravinsky wrote:it appears its a YT issue. the moz devs have sent mail to YT people.
It is the same thing that happened to me when I was getting lag while typing, this was fixed by Fx 14, maybe 13, never tried 13 per se.

Apparently, this issue has been happening since yesterday, so something in YT changed. To make it clear, keep us updated when it becomes fixed, not that I use HTML5 unless it is forced, sometimes some videos play as HTML5. :)

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-19, 17:26

@ Megaman : you can follow the progress here : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=775491

Latest being that moz contact yt, and yt(read:google) will be pushing the changes today.

@MC : I thought even google wouldnt do such obvious 'mistakes'. And really, why should they ? :

1. user share of chrome > share of FF. and the share is growing every month. Moz doesnt need anyone external to discredit them more. their rapid-release has already discredited them a lot.
2. Google is funding mozilla.
3. regarding other browsers, opera has about 1.5% of the browser market. it is not even in the picture.

So i think it might be genuine mistake. Google might try to take your personal info and track you, but it wouldnt do this sort of underhanded thing.

but then again, nothing is a mistake anymore. :think:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-19, 18:56

user share of chrome > share of FF. and the share is growing every month. Moz doesnt need anyone external to discredit them more. their rapid-release has already discredited them a lot.
And why, pray tell, do you think that is?
Would it maybe be because Firefox has been pushed to be more like Chrome? And if people like Chrome they will use that and not Firefox?
Would it, perhaps, be because the rapid release schedule was instated to transition to a Google Chrome like release schedule? And why would they want to do this if not pressured by their funders? (keep in mind that Firefox has always been version-centric, and not release schedule centric)
Would it, maybe, be part of the well-known "Embrace, Extend Extinguish"? Embrace the Firefox market segment, extend your influence to it, and one way or another transfer that segment's consumers/users to your own product?

Just food for thought. I'm not taking a solid position, just asking myself these questions.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-07-19, 19:59

That is not all, Firefox's team was planning on going 3 weeks per update, never confirmed.
Since PM 12.0, 12.1, at least we know that we still have control over the versions while keeping the updates (stability and/or security). No hope lost, awaiting that 15.

I might have to hand it to Google for making the Mozilla team to get off their chairs and really work on innovating, or make some faster progress, we must keep the users happy and with the Fox(In this regard, the Moon).

Other than that, I am amazed that the YouTube problem is planning on being fixed today, when it took a month or more on the Typing Lag thing.