The Windows 10 mega-thread!

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Windows 10 mega-thread!

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 17:55

Moonchild wrote:Actually it seems like they are finally seeing the light after me telling them for over 10 years that they need to target NT6. I'm afraid that they're too much behind to catch up, though, by stubbornly trying to make NT5 their core for so many years.

No, they haven't seen the light as you say, the goal remains fixed and thus achievable, an NT5 compatible o/s. However it has reached a stage where a shim engine can be introduced and so someone has done so. NT6 compatibility has just been a goal that can only be progressed when it is potentially achievable without deviating from the overall goal which remains NT5. The NT6 API can then be implemented on a piecemeal basis and when complete, NT6 compatibility can be achieved.

Moonchild wrote:You couldn't be more off the mark :)
NT6 (Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10) is significantly different than NT5(WinXP/Win2k), as much as NT5 is significantly different than NT 4 (Win95/Win98).

With regard to the kernel differences between NT5 and NT6 required to achieve compatibility (which is the point of my post) the differences are not great. In any case my main point was that it is the ReactOS kernel and not the NT5 nor the NT6 kernel so it can be done.

Moonchild wrote:I'm afraid that they're too much behind to catch up, though, by stubbornly trying to make NT5 their core for so many years.

They aren't trying to catch up as the stated and continuing goal of NT5 is still solid and amazing progress has been made. See the ReactOS Epic Win thread for progress. https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10972&start=1140

Moonchild wrote:It does need an NT6 based kernel if it wants to be compatible with current-day applications. And it needs to be compatible with current-day applications if it wants to be useful (an OS without useful programs to run on it is rather pointless, after all).

It does not need an NT6 based kernel it just needs the ReactOS kernel with compatibility as described. It will be able to run (is already able to run) a vast number of programs successfully. Saying "an OS without useful programs to run on it" is rather pointless, like saying a browser without users is rather pointless, neither statement is factually incorrect but neither is either actually valid in context. Palemoon has users and ReactOS has programs that will run on it. It is still in Alpha and you know what that means but you would not be wrong to test it within a virtualbox and be pleased with the progress.

These are the test results for the current version which is 0.4.8.

https://reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.8
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 17:56, edited 2 times in total.

yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 21:54

Having said that it still won't be ready by 2020!

Tomaso
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby Tomaso » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 21:47

Miss Classic Shell? Classic Start comes to the rescue:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/07/08/miss- ... he-rescue/
Classic Start is a continuation of the Classic Shell project for Windows.
Classic Start is available as a preview release at the time of writing.
The author published the first development release last week and pushed out a fix for Insider Preview versions of Windows 10 this week.

Get it here:
https://github.com/passionate-coder/Cla ... /releases/

yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 17:57

Classic shell as a replacement for the windows 7 Kernel? I think not. :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 08:21

Tomaso wrote:Miss Classic Shell? Classic Start comes to the rescue:

Another indispensable tool if I am ever forced to switch to Win 10.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

PalleP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby PalleP » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 17:03

Moonchild wrote:
Tomaso wrote:Miss Classic Shell? Classic Start comes to the rescue:

Another indispensable tool if I am ever forced to switch to Win 10.

I also find it indispensable on Win7 to make the file management behave usable and productive. Some registry tweaks are also necessary and then a third party file manager.
But I realize that the smartphone generation don't care about file management and have no idea where their files are stored. They just "search" everything....

Isengrim
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby Isengrim » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 19:50

PalleP wrote:But I realize that the smartphone generation don't care about file management and have no idea where their files are stored. They just "search" everything....

It's on the Cloud™!
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
Windows 10 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
We are our choices.

Tomaso
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby Tomaso » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 21:02

PalleP wrote:I also find it indispensable on Win7

Yeah, under Win7, Classic Shell is also highly preferable.
Under any newer Windows versions, it's not only preferable, but an absolute must, IMO.
Using it under Win8.1 myself, so I don't need this new fork.

nana2
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby nana2 » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 00:23

After I battled with Windows to not get Win 10 for years on my Windows 7, I was getting tons of BSOD's in the last 3-4 weeks. A technician came in twice and he tried to fix it, said all is okay. I say NOT because the BSOD's kept re-occurring and even getting more frequent!! Got another tech who said my Dell Workstation's Vostro lifetime is up which I purchased in Dec 2011. I loved Win 7 and had hoped to have it last a while longer!!

So here I am with Windows 10 Pro Desktop, 1TB and 8 GB RAM since yesterday and so far it is far more complicated than I imagined. Just to find something simple in 10 I have to use google. I have 6 months tech support from the tech who set it all up, but he's a busy guy. Sigh!!!

Not easy for me due to a diagnosis of Memory and Cognitive Impairments and a 12.5 yr battle with gastroparesis which is chronic and forces me to stay at home. So a PC keeps me in touch with the outside world.... :)

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 03:36

How sad is that, any tech worth his spit could have set you up with Windows 7 again. :crazy:
It's not very hard to back up the needed things and format the drive and make sure that the hard drive
is in good condition and even check other issues like memory and such. There are easy ways to figure out if the
hardware is ok or not.

Sounds to me like they are lazy and Windows 10 is the easy way out. I had my own computer business for years
until Windows 10 was on the map. After seeing how little control we would have over that operating system
and the forced updates to boot. I folded my business. Later after Windows 10 had been out a bit I had a chance to
talk to some of the folks that had been suckered into upgrading, and they were very upset after seeing what they
were having to deal with.

I swear, any tech that doesn't take the time to explain to you the things that you will have to deal with in Windows
10 and all the changes that will take place upon every update should have a size 12 stuck up their ars. :evil:
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
completely FOOLPROOF, is underestimating the ingenuity of complete FOOLS! ;) "

Nigaikaze
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby Nigaikaze » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 04:00

nana2 wrote:After I battled with Windows to not get Win 10 for years on my Windows 7, I was getting tons of BSOD's in the last 3-4 weeks.

Were you running Malwarebytes, by any chance? There's a problem in the current version of Malwarebytes (3.5.1) that's been causing specific BSODs, especially when it's used in conjunction with other security/antivirus programs. Windows 7 was rock solid for my family for years, and only started acting up with BSODs over the course of the last four weeks, and all of them were due to Malwarebytes.

yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 11:10

Windows 10 is a crock of sh1t - my experience at first was not uncommon to many, I documented it here:
https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/journal/Windows-10-continues-to-be-a-crock-of-sh1t-572899880

I still have it on a few machines here but my main workhorse is still Windows 7.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 11:39

Thehandyman1957 wrote:How sad is that, any tech worth his spit could have set you up with Windows 7 again. :crazy:
It's not very hard to back up the needed things and format the drive and make sure that the hard drive
is in good condition and even check other issues like memory and such. There are easy ways to figure out if the
hardware is ok or not.

Sounds to me like they are lazy and Windows 10 is the easy way out.

Most people when they encounter a BSOD in Windows 7, they don't read what the BSOD says because at the computer shop where I volunteer at, these people can't tell us what the BSOD says. We have to turn the computer on until we see the BSOD and read what it says.

On the last Windows 7 computer I worked on, the BSOD was due to a memory stick which went bad. I had to order new memory sticks since I was going to replace all the memory sticks. My thought was if one stick went bad, the other sticks were the same age so one of them might go bad too somewhere down the line. After the new memory sticks arrived and were installed, I booted the computer back up and let it run for 3 hours. The BSOD never came back. Called the customer to let him know his computer was repaired so he could come and take it back home.
Linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce 64 Bit (Default OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 13:04

Very true, they should have at least tested those things before doing anything else. I still have my
mem test and drive test disks. Don't even need an operating system for them. Just boot the cd and let it rip. :angel:
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
completely FOOLPROOF, is underestimating the ingenuity of complete FOOLS! ;) "

Phantom
Banned user
Banned user

Unread postby Phantom » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 13:16

nana2 wrote:After I battled with Windows to not get Win 10 for years on my Windows 7, I was getting tons of BSOD's in the last 3-4 weeks. A technician came in twice and he tried to fix it, said all is okay. I say NOT because the BSOD's kept re-occurring and even getting more frequent!! Got another tech who said my Dell Workstation's Vostro lifetime is up which I purchased in Dec 2011. I loved Win 7 and had hoped to have it last a while longer!!

So here I am with Windows 10 Pro Desktop, 1TB and 8 GB RAM since yesterday and so far it is far more complicated than I imagined. Just to find something simple in 10 I have to use google. I have 6 months tech support from the tech who set it all up, but he's a busy guy. Sigh!!!

Not easy for me due to a diagnosis of Memory and Cognitive Impairments and a 12.5 yr battle with gastroparesis which is chronic and forces me to stay at home. So a PC keeps me in touch with the outside world.... :)

Off-topic:
The two main causes of a BSOD is a driver or hardware. You can use two Apps to help figure out what the cause is. Whocrashed and Bluescreenview.

You didn't need 10. As a repair all using a mighty sword, just format and reinstall 7. You more than likely had a driver conflict. Possibly from some program. I say that since Winblows 10 seems to work. It could have been hardware and Win 10 can handle the hardware differently, but I have my doubts.

I could have had you up and running for free in about 45 minutes or less and you still would have had Win 7.

PalleP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby PalleP » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 14:13

Yes, a driver problem or a hardware fault (often RAM) will be the cause in almost all cases of Win7 BSOD and any "technichian" not knowing that should be ashamed og himself.
These days a new problem can cause BSOD on Win7, and the problem is, guess what....M$.
My main PC (Win7 32bit) has never had any BSOD's and has been running for many years. Suddenly BSOD's started without any clear interval or function used. I suspected immediately the RAM,s but investigated the nerdy code I got on the blue screen, and it pointed on an Intel driver conflict. Since I hadn't installed or updated any drivers or programs when the BSOD's started, I pondered what else had changed and couldn't remember anything but M$ update (I still used it at that time). So I rolled back any update done in that time interval and the BSOD's disappeared. Reinstalling the (security only) updates caused the BSOD's to reappear. I then updated the Intel drivers and the BSOD's have never reappeared.
So M$ can cause otherwise perfectly functioning drivers to malfunction with their update hell. In my case it was a problem that could be solved, but what if you have a pc where there is no updated drivers?
This is just another example of M$ totally screwing up the Windows update. I remember the good old days where everyone just used "update automatically" without getting blue screens, keyloggers or spyware in their pc's 8-)

nana2
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby nana2 » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 18:27

Thank you all very much in responding to my previous post, very appreciated!!

Initially the 1st technician of another Co with whom I dealt with for years had a marvelous great technician who retired as I found out. So another one showed up TWICE ($$) and still did not fix it because the BSOD's continued. When I called another company and explained the problem with them, she said that the problem was the motherboard causing the BSODs and transferred me to the technician who said end of life of my Vostro Workstation and after some back and forth through tel. calls in the end came home, with a new desktop and set me up with Windows 10 PRO. I figured it was cheaper to purchase a new PC and be done with it. I don't care anymore if Windows 10 snoops on me or not!!

Yes, I have MB3 Premium and never had a problem with it. On Win 7 I did a program update of Avast, restarted the PC and since I had a password on the old PC I could not get back into the PC. (Now it's Windows Defender and no more Avast) So the 1st tech fixed that, only to be plagued again with BSOD's.

Phantom
Banned user
Banned user

Unread postby Phantom » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 17:55

PalleP wrote:Yes, a driver problem or a hardware fault (often RAM) will be the cause in almost all cases of Win7 BSOD and any "technichian" not knowing that should be ashamed og himself.
These days a new problem can cause BSOD on Win7, and the problem is, guess what....M$.
My main PC (Win7 32bit) has never had any BSOD's and has been running for many years. Suddenly BSOD's started without any clear interval or function used. I suspected immediately the RAM,s but investigated the nerdy code I got on the blue screen, and it pointed on an Intel driver conflict. Since I hadn't installed or updated any drivers or programs when the BSOD's started, I pondered what else had changed and couldn't remember anything but M$ update (I still used it at that time). So I rolled back any update done in that time interval and the BSOD's disappeared. Reinstalling the (security only) updates caused the BSOD's to reappear. I then updated the Intel drivers and the BSOD's have never reappeared.
So M$ can cause otherwise perfectly functioning drivers to malfunction with their update hell. In my case it was a problem that could be solved, but what if you have a pc where there is no updated drivers?
This is just another example of M$ totally screwing up the Windows update. I remember the good old days where everyone just used "update automatically" without getting blue screens, keyloggers or spyware in their pc's 8-)

I don't use updates and all my computers run fine. Well, I had to use a few because my motherboard stated I needed one for a driver to work, and I had to use another for the latest Sandboxie to work. Other than that no other updates touch my computers and they all run fine.
You may want to read this and never let M$ touch your drivers. Only use the manufacturer drivers. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... ng-drivers

I'd use the group policy if your OS version allows it.

Phantom
Banned user
Banned user

Unread postby Phantom » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 17:58

nana2 wrote: I don't care anymore if Windows 10 snoops on me or not!!

Complacency in terms of privacy is down right Orwellian.

nana2
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby nana2 » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 21:05

Phantom wrote:
nana2 wrote: I don't care anymore if Windows 10 snoops on me or not!!

Complacency in terms of privacy is down right Orwellian.

Not complacency but downright sick and very tired physically (gastroparesis) and mentally and being 75 so I throw in the towel. I will try and have been trying to find out how to keep Windows 10 from snooping on my PC, so far no luck... I had a ton of Windows 10 bookmarks while on 7 but they were old so I just deleted them.

Return to “General discussion”