Facebook features stopped working (META)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Facebook messenger not working

Unread post by Rickkins » 2018-06-20, 14:44

Sajadi wrote:
Rickkins wrote:Tried rolling back to 27.9.2, didn't help.
Rolling back does not help, as the change done which made Facebook breaking was made by Facebook themselves. What helps is upgrading to unstable Pale Moon as it supports a much higher amount of web-standards which Facebook as it seems require since that moment.

https://www.palemoon.org/unstable/

Not really an option for me at this time.

Thanks.

visionhelp

Facebook denies Pale Moon (New Moon) and FF 52.0.1 in parts (submit comments)

Unread post by visionhelp » 2018-06-20, 15:11

(Perhaps the wrong place for this, then sorry, please.)

Hi,

thanks for the message in Facebook for the new extremly problems with Pale Moon (and New Moon, in my case).
No notifications to see. Messenger blank. Comments not possible.

In FF 52.0.1 (32-Bit) comments not possible, too. The messenger still works there. The notifications, too.

Now, with this, many are kicked off from Facebook.

I was happy to have all working with XP SP3, a FF and Pale Moon (New Moon).

This is against XP and Pale Moon and Firefox. What a kind of censor, censor-ship. (Sorry.)
(Beautiful new world.)

But very significant, for me: the messenger, the notifications, the commenting, the very most important functions, for member at Facebook.
Last edited by visionhelp on 2018-06-20, 16:42, edited 8 times in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-06-20, 15:41

I can confirm i am not able to share posts or comment in facebook with palemoon at this present time.Im using basilisk purely for facebook and maybe in time basilisk will be my full time browser and given that these problems are more than likely to crop up again maybe this isnt such a bad idea.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Facebook Reactions Suddenly Not Usable on Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-06-20, 15:43

what is the reason for it not affecting other browsers just out of general interest.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Facebook messages not showing

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-20, 15:50

Assuming the issues you are describing are the same as issues noted in multiple recent FB threads, then...

If PM 27 is able to come up with a fix & update, that will work.
Otherwise, you'll have to use a different browser (& presumably you'd have to do that for present time, at least for some FB features?).

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-20, 16:00

if I try Basilisk and the extensions and such that I'm using in Palemoon are compatible, is there some easy way to import, export, or otherwise get them from one to the other?
(I don't really know about PM/Basilisk extension specifics, but...)

I would think that most if not all extensions should work in Basilisk too.
You can simply drag them, the .xpi, one at a time, from your PM Profile folder/extensions/ into a Basilisk window & they should install.

(That installs the extension, just as if you installed it from online, but that does not copy over any extension settings. Those, if needed, you'd need to do manually, or search through prefs.js & make the corresponding changes in Basilisk.)

(The extension folder might have a "guid" rather then a "common" name, but about:support should give you a mapping of guid->name if you need it.)

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2018-06-20, 16:07

Moonraker wrote:what is the reason for it not affecting other browsers just out of general interest.
because PM27 is older than what facebook thought.

BTW this shows in javascript console when accessing facebook:

Code: Select all

00:16:33.392 SyntaxError: in strict mode code, functions may be declared only at top level or immediately within another function1 DmHQ9c6WkCu.js:129:1255

00:16:33.407 Empty string passed to getElementById().1 zPssjoJCCwx.js:114:0

"ErrorUtils caught an error: "00:16:33.418 "ErrorUtils caught an error: "Missing dependencies: JS::call("RHCVideoWNSController", "init", ...) | RHCVid...". Subsequent errors won't be logged; see https://fburl.com/debugjs. https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v3/y6/r/zPssjoJCCwx.js:57:12176
J.reportError() zPssjoJCCwx.js:57
J.applyWithGuard() zPssjoJCCwx.js:57
a.prototype.cleanup() zPssjoJCCwx.js:134
p/<() zPssjoJCCwx.js:165
a.prototype.$6() zPssjoJCCwx.js:58
a.prototype.satisfyPersistentDependency() zPssjoJCCwx.js:58
j.prototype.$6() zPssjoJCCwx.js:66
j[a]() zPssjoJCCwx.js:66
j.prototype.inform() zPssjoJCCwx.js:66
u() zPssjoJCCwx.js:147
j.prototype.subscribeOnce/a<() zPssjoJCCwx.js:66
j.prototype.$5() zPssjoJCCwx.js:66
a.prototype.emitToListener/<() zPssjoJCCwx.js:65
forEach() self-hosted:206
a.prototype.emitToListener() zPssjoJCCwx.js:65
a.prototype.addRetroactiveListener() zPssjoJCCwx.js:64
j.prototype.subscribe/a<() zPssjoJCCwx.js:66
map() self-hosted:222
j.prototype.subscribe() zPssjoJCCwx.js:66
j.prototype.subscribeOnce() zPssjoJCCwx.js:66
v<() zPssjoJCCwx.js:147
a.prototype.$6() zPssjoJCCwx.js:58
a.prototype.satisfyPersistentDependency() zPssjoJCCwx.js:58
j.prototype.$6() zPssjoJCCwx.js:66
j.prototype.inform() zPssjoJCCwx.js:66
t/c.onload<() zPssjoJCCwx.js:147
I.guard/d() zPssjoJCCwx.js:102
.fire() zPssjoJCCwx.js:244
s<() zPssjoJCCwx.js:244
r.__wrapEventListenHandler/<() zPssjoJCCwx.js:237
I.guard/d() zPssjoJCCwx.js:102
a/<() zPssjoJCCwx.js:101
Last edited by roytam1 on 2018-06-20, 16:18, edited 2 times in total.

Corrine
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Corrine » 2018-06-20, 16:16

Curiously, today I have access to the video controls that didn't work yesterday and can also use the other smilies. However, as Moonraker just posted, today I cannot share or comment on posts but could yesterday. FB needs developers who know what they're doing.

Edit Note: Suddenly, I can no longer see "Notifications" although I could earlier today.
Last edited by Corrine on 2018-06-20, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Facebook denies Pale Moon (New Moon) and FF 52.0.1 in parts (submit comments)

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-20, 16:20

Is your issue different from that described here viewtopic.php?p=143862#p143862 (or elsewhere)?

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-06-20, 17:23

Yup, video controls are back as are the like emoticons, comments now not working but 'what's on your mind' works. Messenger still not not working and as Corrine says, notifications are now broken.

Looks like FB coders/devs/whatevertheycallthemselves are still playing about with their code. #painintheass
Last edited by rabnbeinn on 2018-06-20, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-20, 17:58

vsrawat wrote:What more should I do?
Use the forum's search capabilities to find threads about the same.

Your options are, in a nutshell:
1. Use Basilisk for your Pale Moon needs in the meantime (or another browser)
2. Use the unstable channel version of Pale Moon 28.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

atat75

Unread post by atat75 » 2018-06-20, 18:35

vsrawat wrote:w8.1 64 bit.

Since two days, facebook is not showing messages from top right drop-down menu. the rotating circles keeps on appearing ad infinitum.

Also, when I click "See All in Messenger" and the new page opens which should have all messages of all persons, not a single thing appears on that page.
Same for me (Debian 8 amd64 Palemoon 27.9.3). Other issues: only plain "like" no love/angry/etc. Cannot post on pages, cannot open notification on pages, video controls gone away... and other js related problems. Many of these problems logged in the console as blocked cross-origin request (CORS).
Tried also to change useragent string (general.useragent.override.facebook.com and general.useragent.override.fbcnd.net), no way.

Firefox 45.9.0 same issue (I know is old but I use that because newer one integrated with GTK under linux have ugly and laggy UI).

Chome is working (but ugly font rendering under linux, unreadable...).

Kasandra2018

Unread post by Kasandra2018 » 2018-06-20, 19:22

My Facebook messages are showing, however for the past few days, I couldn't share posts. Now I can't even comment on them, and my only choice is to "like" something, the other options are unavailable.

I've tried for days to just contact someone about this, however I see this is the only option available to me.

Please respond to [email removed]

I've been using Pale Moon for years, but I am now ready to dump it in favour of Google. This is so annoying.

Yes, I uninstalled, reinstalled and rebooted. My other browsers are working fine.

Kasandra
Last edited by satrow on 2018-06-20, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2018-06-20, 19:25

therube wrote:
if I try Basilisk and the extensions and such that I'm using in Palemoon are compatible, is there some easy way to import, export, or otherwise get them from one to the other?
(I don't really know about PM/Basilisk extension specifics, but...)

I would think that most if not all extensions should work in Basilisk too.
You can simply drag them, the .xpi, one at a time, from your PM Profile folder/extensions/ into a Basilisk window & they should install.

(That installs the extension, just as if you installed it from online, but that does not copy over any extension settings. Those, if needed, you'd need to do manually, or search through prefs.js & make the corresponding changes in Basilisk.)

(The extension folder might have a "guid" rather then a "common" name, but about:support should give you a mapping of guid->name if you need it.)
How about using FEBE or one of its siblings? I backup my stuff with it all the time. Been ages since I actually had to use it to reinstall or transfer.

vsrawat

Unread post by vsrawat » 2018-06-20, 20:24

ADD:

Now, starting today evening India time, even notification pane drop down is not showing notifications. Only in PM.
Other users, please confirm.

The round circle keeps on rotating for ever.

I have installed Basilisk and everything is working well in that and in FF also, so no immediate problem.

I am used to use PaleMoon so would pray to God if the problem is resolved here soon and I don't have to learn the basics of a new browser.

Thanks.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-06-20, 20:34

vsrawat wrote:I am used to use PaleMoon so would pray to God if the problem is resolved here soon and I don't have to learn the basics of a new browser.
These Facebook problems are already resolved in the unstable version.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

vsrawat

Unread post by vsrawat » 2018-06-20, 20:39

ADD:
Checked and found that messages and notifications are working well in LIGHT browser also. (v47)

However, in the fb Home page, entire thing is coming shifted to extreme left of the screen (to my left hand side), and right part of screen is coming blank.
However, profile page is coming correctly at center as before.

I don't know whether it could be due to some setting of mine, or it could be a fall back of the same code change. May be, it could give some clue.

Thanks.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-06-20, 22:36

It's already been stated twice, the issue is fixed in the unstable version.

jnrie

Unread post by jnrie » 2018-06-20, 22:55

I'm having the same problem. My Facebook "share" button doesn't work,
and I cannot post Personal Messages. When I try to send a personal message,
the "To:" field is blank, and the "send" button doesn't work.

Started having this problem on the evening of June 19, 2018

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-20, 23:08

Unfortunately posting "me too" posts here won't make a difference because it's entirely Facebook's doing in the past few days. If everyone who posts here about FB issues would complain to Facebook, maybe they get the picture that they are disadvantaging quite a few users here.
If the unstable channel isn't an option for you and Basilisk or another browser isn't either (for whatever reason), then you're simply out of luck in terms of having a usable Facebook website. We won't be rushing the release of Pale Moon 28 just because Facebook decided to roll out breaking changes.

One alternative you can try is changing the useragent overrides in about:config for facebook.com and fbcdn.* -- we've been forced to use a Firefox UA for full function in the past with a high version number to keep Facebook happy, but apparently that strategy no longer works. Changing those to something else may alleviate the symptoms but will likely limit your features on the website as well.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite