The Windows 10 mega-thread!

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
yereverluvinuncleber
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: The Windows 10 mega-thread!

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 18:06

My win7 core2duo is a dream of a machine. Solely because it does not have Win10.

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 02:53

As the saying goes, “I’m altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further.”

Microsoft simply ignores your settings. Go Figure. Thanks Vader.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... dates.html
"Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny."

badnick
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby badnick » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 05:47

After I diggedI some forums on internet I think II succeeded to stop automatic windows updates.Unfortunately I don't remember all these settings but what I remember is a combination of settings (from "update and security" windows menu) and from Local Group Policy. I have Win 10 Pro Version 1703/OS build-15063.608 and the last Windows updates on my computer is KB 2565063 /28.07.2017 and a set of updates for Microsoft Office/29.07.2017
Attachments
Screenshot (553).png
Last edited by badnick on Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.

adesh
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby adesh » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 14:32

That won't help. :lol: You have stepped into the future. You think you have control, but actually you don't.
If there is someone or something which can stop unwanted automatic updates, it is Microsoft. Probably they have written the code in such a way that it will bypass system settings every now and then, you know, just for fun! :mrgreen:

Isengrim
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby Isengrim » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 16:04

adesh wrote:If there is someone or something which can stop unwanted automatic updates, it is Microsoft.

Or a copious amount of scrupulous firewall rules. ;)
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit)

TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby TwoTankAmin » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 18:45

The ONLY way to avoid ALL THE Windows 10 issues is simple. DO NOT USE IT. Glad I have that option.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

badnick
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby badnick » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 20:13

adesh wrote:That won't help. :lol: You have stepped into the future. You think you have control, but actually you don't.
If there is someone or something which can stop unwanted automatic updates, it is Microsoft. Probably they have written the code in such a way that it will bypass system settings every now and then, you know, just for fun! :mrgreen:

For the moment seems to work for me. There are already 9 months with no automatic update.

TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby TwoTankAmin » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 22:24

I have never read the Windows 10 EULA. I wonder if it requires users agree to permit the automatic updates? If so I would bet they have the right to make any changes to one's device to insure Microsoft retains that ability.

I mistrust Google as much as I do Microsoft. The difference is I am not registered in Google and I bllock their trackers everywhere I go. The only place they do not seem to exist is on Google Search and Google Scholar. I use Google news and there I must block Google Analytics from loading. The Microsoft Home page has 5 things blocked. This is why I use Pale Moon, I can load an extention that does the blocking.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

yereverluvinuncleber
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 09:41

The only platform that Windows 10 is really quite usable upon is Microsoft's range of mobile phones. My wife has a Windows mobile phone and it is actually good. Totally restricted and really just a tile-based interface for a phone that would be utterly useless for a desktop, that's why they put it there too.

Just as I find a sole good usage for Windows 10 they decide the hardware platform is dead.

Time to try out that surface to see if the same happens...

Phantom
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread postby Phantom » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 04:20

You should be able to turn off updates with the update service under admin tools / services.

I laugh every time they say these so-called "updates" address security vulnerabilities. You can update until your little heart's content, but you will still get malware. Especially polymorphic malware. One has to wonder just what they are packing in those updates and all the telemetry they are pushing and pulling. Hell if I'll use 10.And when I do for gaming only I'll set up a hardware-based firewall to block M$. I haven't used updates since I used to run Win 98se and my computers have always been fine and I never gotten "hacked" or any malware.I scan my computer with all kinds of crap too, but since I use Sandboxie threats are greatly mitigated.

I just shake my head at all the people claiming you absolutely need updates and you need to use the latest and greatest OS. If it's a Linux server that's a competently different story. Given the fact you have inbound on port 80 or 443 you need to patch.

Phantom
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread postby Phantom » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 04:21

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:The only platform that Windows 10 is really quite usable upon is Microsoft's range of mobile phones. My wife has a Windows mobile phone and it is actually good. Totally restricted and really just a tile-based interface for a phone that would be utterly useless for a desktop, that's why they put it there too.

Just as I find a sole good usage for Windows 10 they decide the hardware platform is dead.

Time to try out that surface to see if the same happens...

I saw an interview with Gates on the news and he doesn't even use a Windows phone, but Android. :lol:

Tomaso
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby Tomaso » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 09:20

adesh wrote:If there is someone or something which can stop unwanted automatic updates, it is Microsoft. Probably they have written the code in such a way that it will bypass system settings every now and then, you know, just for fun!

Stumbled by this one @ ghacks.net..

StopUpdates10:
http://greatis.com/blog/stopupdates10/
Features:
* Stop Windows updates.
* Stop forced upgrades.
* Stop annoying upgrade notifications.
* Easy Undo! Click ‘Restore’ button to undo all changes.

More info here:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/06/block ... updates10/

Since I don't use Win10, I haven't tested it myself.

Tomaso
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby Tomaso » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 09:21

Here we go again..
Microsoft broke "disable web search" in Windows 10 version 1803:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/07/micro ... sion-1803/
Microsoft broke the ability to disable web search in the Spring Creators Update of Windows 10.
Even if you have configured all three anti-web search policies, web searching remains enabled on the device.

Most articles covering Win10's ongoing function breakage still describes them as "bugs".
Wake up people, these things are broken on purpose!

TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby TwoTankAmin » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 17:04

I am a never 10 person. I see Windows 10 as bloatware, spyware and malware rolled into one. Microsoft can not be trusted in any way ever again. They lie and they lie and they lie again.
But it is not just them, Facebook, Google et al. are just as bad.

In the old days when somebody wanted to steal from you they pointed a gun at you or they broke into your home. We tried to prevent this sort of thing. Today, when they want to steal your data, they have to fight most people off with a stick as they line up to give away their personal information and access to everything they do without so much as a thought.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Randall Terry What did you learn from the recent Facebook data incident?

Octopuss
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby Octopuss » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 15:43

I am not as concerned about the presumed spyware as much as I am about the functionality and visual aspect of the OS (as a 7 user). I made two attempts (one pretty lousy, one somewhat serious) to use the damn thing, and both times ran away back to Windows 7 screaming.
I will give it another go with the coming version 1803, hoping it will finally be useable, because I know I will have to switch at some point. But...
Last edited by Octopuss on Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

fatboy
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread postby fatboy » Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 19:12

The best solution to any Windows 10 issue is to install Linux ;)

lyceus
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread postby lyceus » Thu, 19 Apr 2018, 04:22

Off-topic:
helloimustbegoing wrote:
lyceus wrote:
Linux is a joke for the SOHO (Small Office-Home Office) environment, as it lacks of a decent suite for produce printed documents.

LibreOffice isn't good enough?

The main trouble for Linux is the lack of a CYMK feature.

Real Life Example: All tax national papers has a blue logo, but a hue of blue that is "custom" aka a weird Hex value. Almost all Linux apps that I had tried moved the blue value to the nearest "safe web value". The trouble is that if is not the "real blue" for the tax office, in web safe color you color print is just a copy of tax forms and not originals.

I tried to contact GIMP forums but they don't think that anybody really would use CYMK as nobody print papers nowadays but use PDF so if I have luck maybe in version 3 or 4 they can see that. LibreOffice says it has support but the mileage varies if you add the printer hardware, some manufacturers won't do Linux. Linux compatible machines are more expensive or married with a distro.

So this force me to these options if I use Linux: A) Print all in B&W and pay for color prints because I cannot use my color printer. (Yay for a OS that is free as beer) B) Use a virtual machine for load a windows machine for print a color page. (tried that in the past and is very cumbersome) C) Screw Linux and still use Windows 7 (Current choice)

TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby TwoTankAmin » Fri, 27 Apr 2018, 12:28

Well the Germans have gotten it right in terms of Windows 10 and Privacy. The problem is it won't really matter. Apparently, Microsoft can comply with German law and then simply not rent Windows 10 to anybody not willing to agree to the telemetry terms. I am not sure how they would have to change the information they provide to users though. I have used the only solution available for a user to have the most protection in terms of privacy and preventing data collection- I will not use Windows 10 or data stealing sites.

Have a read of this article on Germany vs Windows 10 on the bestvpn.com site: Windows 10 Still in the Limelight Due to Invasive Features
https://www.bestvpn.com/privacy-news/windows-10-still-limelight-due-invasive-features/

TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby TwoTankAmin » Thu, 03 May 2018, 13:00

Just went to do my somewhat regular search on Google for Windows 10 news. I search by date to insure I see the most recent links first, here are the first few entries returned.

Microsoft's Windows 10 April Update is borking Chrome
The INQUIRER-12 minutes ago

Windows 10 April Update frezees Lenovo ThinkPad
Windows Report (blog)-40 minutes ago

Windows 10 April 2018 Update: Known Problems And Their Fixes
Fossbytes-55 minutes ago

Fix: Windows 10 April Update install fails on Alienware laptops
Windows Report (blog)-1 hour ago

Windows 10 April 2018 Update won't install on Alienware laptops
WindowsLatest (blog)-1 hour ago

How to manage Fonts settings on the Windows 10 April 2018 Update
Windows Central-1 hour ago

Microsoft acknowledges Windows 10 April Update freezes PCs
Windows Report (blog)-1 hour ago

As a Windows user for 30 years, I stopped allowing automatic updates with XP I think. I used to have update set to notify but not download or install. Sometime around the initial release of Windows 10 I changed it to never update and began doing a check on the discovered problems with updates for Windows 7 every month before I would install anything.

As a one device user, there is no chance I can ever use Windows 10. The risks are way too great for me. Windows 10 updates are like Russian roulette, some folks always get the bullet and so do some PCs etc.

eskaton023
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby eskaton023 » Thu, 03 May 2018, 15:06

I say this with the most polite intentions: I think everyone here knows your stance on this subject. While these are new stories, they trace back to the same root sentiment. The horse you're beating has been completely atomized by this point. Any chance you can give it a rest?

Return to “General discussion”