I found Pale Moon hard to find

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
Vetch
New to the forum
New to the forum

I found Pale Moon hard to find

Postby Vetch » Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 16:04

Looking at the PM survey I'd rate myself as "good understanding of computers in general use" (though I do use "many different programs" and "more than one OS").
Anyway, years ago I used to love FF. That love dwindled and turned to hate with the latest update that got me Quantum. I searched the web and Synaptic for an alternative and didn't find anything that I wanted to use. Chromium was even worse, and the names of the others I've tried I've already forgotten. Pale Moon was not among them. Why not?!?

I finally found PM when I managed to get an older FF and began to install (via the Mozilla add-ons-site) the extensions Quantum doesn't let me use. Several developers of those add-ons are very clear about Quantum, they hate it as much or much more than I do. They all mentioned PM; some link to it.
Thanks to them: for their work, for keeping the spirit that converted me to Linux and Firefox long ago, and here & now most of all thanks for leading me here. I have installed PM yesterday and I love it. I mentioned it in my (not really famous) blog and have already inspired at least two people to try it. Folks who hate FF, yearn for an alternative and who didn't know, like me, about Pale Moon.

If I had known about it I would have installed it years ago.

So, maybe me and the folks who read my blog are really bad at searching the web. Or not...
Me, I will recommend PM to every- and anyone from now on.

Thank you, Moonchild and Team and Community!

Very happy,

Vetch
Last edited by Vetch on Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.

SpockMan02
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: I found Pale Moon hard to find

Postby SpockMan02 » Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 17:46

I also did not discover Pale Moon until much after I would have loved to switch to it. The removal of Tab Groups in Firefox 45 kind of pissed me off, but at least there was an add-on to bring them back. Then Mozilla announced the removal of add-ons... I switched to Opera I suppose about a year ago, because I saw no reason to stay with Firefox and Opera was fast and had a nice UI. In early September, I stumbled upon Pale Moon—I don't really remember how I found it, but I am so glad that I did.

Vetch
New to the forum
New to the forum

Postby Vetch » Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 17:49

Fedor2 wrote:https://alternativeto.net/software/firefox/
http://www.alternative.to/Mozilla_Firefox,29652802

Thänks a lot; as I wrote I didn't find any of those sites before, and perhaps, as I wrote, I was just too stupid. Be that as it may, now I don't need them anymore - as no one who visits this board will. But thanks. :mrgreen:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 00:39

Hard to find?
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoonsp&q=pale+moon+browser&ia=web

And if you didn't know about the name, then going through a few websites listing "alternative web browsers" will undoubtedly have you end up with several mentions of Pale Moon.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

Rising Soul

Postby Rising Soul » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 01:56

I just made an account on AlternativeTo, just so I could upvote Pale Moon. :lol:

I can't remember where I originally found it. I think it was after multiple mentions of it by other people that I checked it out, after the Opera people abandoned the original Opera vision in favour of making another Chrome clone.

yereverluvinuncleber
Moonbather
Moonbather

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 12:13

You didn't find Palemoon hard to find at all, you just had no need of it, you had firefox and it worked well - so you weren't searching...

If you were searching for "alternatives to firefox" on Google and you found it hard to navigate the results, or if you were looking for help on billboards, the backs of cigarette packets, television, the classified pages of the Daily Telegraph or the home page of your daughter's ipad then you were probably doing the wrong sort of searching.

Look in the right place - type in the right thing - review the results - analyse and make a decision. These are the useful methods for finding things (these might also be useful in other situations so I'd take note of them if I were you).

:D

mrmivo
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Postby mrmivo » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 21:07

I learned about Firefox in a news article's comments about Opera having bought by a Chinese company. Someone had recommended it there. :)

Return to “General discussion”