Mozilla described the plan to destroy Firefox in detail

General discussion area and chat

Moderators: satrow, Indalecio

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
RJARRRPCGP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Mozilla described the plan to destroy Firefox in detail

Postby RJARRRPCGP » Thu May 18, 2017 11:05 pm

LAMBDA471 wrote:

And to think around 2007-8 Firefox used to be my favorite browser and it was actually awesome back then....

I had a tendency to dislike Bon Echo. (2x) Bon Echo seemed to hang with the "Waiting for X" message very often! IIRC, more often than other major versions... Bon Echo also introduced the Firefox.exe-becomes-a-zombie-on-close bug...

PhilK
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby PhilK » Thu May 18, 2017 11:52 pm

JustOff wrote:Mozilla have decided to ruin Firefox for Android at the same time as desktop version:

Jorge Villalobos wrote:After looking into the most critical add-ons for mobile and the implementation plan for WebExtensions, we have decided it’s best to have desktop and mobile share the same timeline. This means that mobile will be WebExtensions-only at the same time as desktop Firefox, in version 57.

Via Mozilla Add-ons Blog.

Based on my assumption that a significant number of my FFA extensions are probably not web-extensions, that is a very unfortunate announcement. Because I cannot find a reasonably trustworthy alternative that also supports a broad spectrum of quality extensions that provide features I want. Ugh.

FranklinDM
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Postby FranklinDM » Fri May 19, 2017 1:14 am

JustOff wrote:Mozilla have decided to ruin Firefox for Android at the same time as desktop version:

I do hope PM4A will have a comeback someday.

half-moon
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby half-moon » Fri May 19, 2017 1:55 am

FranklinDM wrote:

I do hope PM4A will have a comeback someday.

In order for that to happen, there would need to be more developers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Fri May 19, 2017 11:08 am

half-moon wrote:In order for that to happen, there would need to be more developers.

Probably just one, who can dedicate him or herself to the Fennec part of Pale Moon. We simply don't have the required Android/Java expertise (or free time) in our team to be able to develop/release it.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

Return to “General discussion”