I can't watch videos online

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
hank1038

I can't watch videos online

Unread post by hank1038 » 2015-10-15, 08:07

Everytime I try to play a video online, the browser always crashes.I had to switch browsers, please fix this.

-The websites I'm having trouble watching videos on is xhamster.com & xvideos.com
-My phone is a Huawei Mediapad M2
-The Android OS is 5.1.1
-Pale Moon version 25.7.1

Hope this is enough information for you guys to help me with this, thanks

Hank

h0w4rd
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: I can't watch videos online

Unread post by h0w4rd » 2015-11-14, 07:25

The same here.

Phone: Fairphone 1

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2015-11-14, 12:56

Off-topic:
How could you even tolerate watching videos on a tiny screen like that!?

h0w4rd
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by h0w4rd » 2015-11-14, 14:29

I don't watch long videos, only short ones typically on the news pages.
For example here:

Code: Select all

http://technet.idnes.cz/skladaci-kolo-brompton-m-kolo-v-balicku-skladacka-fbp-/tec_technika.aspx?c=A151105_172940_tec_technika_kuz
The video is not started, but Pale Moon crashes after several seconds when the page is loaded, there is no error msg "Unfortunatelly, Pale Moon has stopped.", the browser just disappears.

vip32

Unread post by vip32 » 2015-12-08, 09:48

I have the same problem. But i have also found when trying to play audio from sound cloud in the browser. The videos seem to be a problem with flash based videos as I am able to html5 videos on my own website ok. I have also notived some websites are now say video not supported where it used to crash the browser. One of these is bbc.co.uk watching some news stories.

I wish this could be resolved quickly so or i may have to find an alternitive mobile browser.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-10, 13:59

vip32 wrote:I wish this could be resolved quickly so or i may have to find an alternitive mobile browser.
Considering we have no active development for the Android version of Pale Moon at the moment, it's not going to be resolved quickly. If your mobile browsing is visiting sites often that do not function properly in PM4A, then at this point your best option is to use a different mobile browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

h0w4rd
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by h0w4rd » 2015-12-10, 15:13

I don't want to use another browser. It seems I will have to clone the source code :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-10, 21:20

h0w4rd wrote:I don't want to use another browser. It seems I will have to clone the source code :)
Feel free! I'd also be interested in any improvements you make to it :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

h0w4rd
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by h0w4rd » 2015-12-15, 13:40

I cloned the source code and switched to the branch Android.
I installed Android studio, but I couldn't open the project.
Is there any info, how to compile it and what ide should i use?
It really would like to run it in debug mode and see where it crashes. I don't know if i can fix it, but at least we will know, where the problem is.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-16, 16:37

Pale Moon is a cross-platform application. PM4A is not an Android "App" that is designed in or can be compiled in an Android-specific IDE... Although maybe I should consider going that route if there is no progress for a longer time. :P

PM4A is built on Linux at the moment, using standard tools like GCC, make, and the Android SDK/NDK.
There is a thread on this forum that gives a run-down of the basics needed for it.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4354#p26486

herash

Unread post by herash » 2016-03-29, 23:12

Hi guys,

My first post on this forum, just saying.

The PM version 25.9.0 still won't play any videos, flash or html5. Is there any chance this can be fixed? If so, please do it, cause then it would be the best browser for Android devices :)

bigboy

Unread post by bigboy » 2016-11-14, 17:27

Same with version 25.9.6. :cry:
I know from another community driven project that volunteer developers are a rare species, so apparently here, according to Moonchild.
I still hope...