Pale Moon Atom

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
tarstarkusz

Pale Moon Atom

Unread post by tarstarkusz » 2015-08-27, 04:00

I really like Pale Moon on X86 Windows and so I thought I would give it a try on my Android tablet and I was shocked at how slow it is. I don't know if it's because of the Intel Atom processor, but it's really slow even compared to Chrome. Pale Moon works great and fast on my PC and I was really disappointed at the performance of the Android version.

Is this an early release that is going to get faster? Is this a problem because of the Intel processor?

Sorry that my first post is essentially bitching, it's just that I had high hopes because of how good it is on Windows. I've been using Pale Moon exclusively on my PC for at least 6 months from what I can recall and have been really, really happy with it. Thank you for making such a great browser.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon Atom

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-08-27, 06:28

It all depends on what exactly you are using. Are you using the ARM version on an Intel CPU through an emulation layer? That would explain in that case.
Or are you using the Windows Atom version through an OS emulation layer on Android? Another clear reason...
Or are you using Android x86? That one isn't even officially released and highly experimental ;)

A bit more information might get you a better answer.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tarstarkusz

Unread post by tarstarkusz » 2015-08-27, 07:09

Moonchild wrote:It all depends on what exactly you are using. Are you using the ARM version on an Intel CPU through an emulation layer? That would explain in that case.
Or are you using the Windows Atom version through an OS emulation layer on Android? Another clear reason...
Or are you using Android x86? That one isn't even officially released and highly experimental ;)

A bit more information might get you a better answer.
Sorry for the sparse information. I am using an AARP Real Pad that is running Android 4.2.1 on a Clover Trail Intel Atom SOC (Intel Atom Z2520 1.2ghz 2 core). I have no idea if it's using an emulation layer, but going by what you are saying it probably is because it is an Atom designed to run a Windows 8 Pad, at least according to a review of the Clover Trail chip set I read. But if that is the case, why is Chrome not just as slow?

I have CPU-Z and CPU X on the pad if those programs could give you any useful information about the hardware. I'm 99% sure that the CPU is an X86 (it says it has SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3 extensions). Some applications in the play store say my pad is incompatible and I just assumed it was because there was no X86 version of that software or it required more ram or something. Maybe it is running entirely on some emulation level, I really don't know though I did wonder how the an ARM CPUs and an X86 Atom would be able to run the same software (I just assumed there were ARM versions and X86 versions).

Thanks.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-08-27, 07:13

It's just that the x86 version is very experimental and would require further work before being suitable for day to day use.