Palemoon over VPN

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
MozillaUser233

Palemoon over VPN

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-26, 21:34

I am having a problem with PM on android OS system.
Palemoon does not connect to anything over vpn. I tried with firefox, firefox connects same with chrome.

lollipop 5.0.
Palemoon for android 25.3.1

Is there any way to reset PM for andoid to default setting?

I cleared cache and data under Applications/Application Manager un android OS 5.0, I even uninstalled it and reinstalled it.

MozillaUser233

Re: Palemoon over VPN

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-26, 23:38

Here is a screenshot of a review of someone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-27, 10:05

VPN should be at the network level and have nothing to do with the browser itself. I don't know what the problem would be.

If they are using a VPN client and it sets up proxies for other applications, then that is out of my hands (because pale moon uses a different app ID and likely won't be known to the VPN software) and they have to set the proxies manually, instead.

Maybe the following old article will help, I haven't verified:
https://outhereinthefield.wordpress.com ... id-phones/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-27, 12:14

Moonchild wrote:VPN should be at the network level and have nothing to do with the browser itself. I don't know what the problem would be.

If they are using a VPN client and it sets up proxies for other applications, then that is out of my hands (because pale moon uses a different app ID and likely won't be known to the VPN software) and they have to set the proxies manually, instead.

Maybe the following old article will help, I haven't verified:
https://outhereinthefield.wordpress.com ... id-phones/

yea thats for proxy. and to much work. there isnt a way for you guys to test pm over vpn to figure out what is wrong?

I can probably buy a months of vpn if needed its only a few bucks for you and the developers.

Let me know, I would love to see this fixed.

Or I can briefly loan out my VPN login crudentials to you moonchild over PM for testing.

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-27, 15:54

So what ya think moonchild?
Caould we work something out.
Typing from android.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-27, 17:30

Not needed, I have a VPN capable router. I tried it, set up VPN in my network settings in android (A 4.4 Lenovo tablet), connected through it, and Pale Moon was just happily purring along using VPN. No issues whatsoever.

Ergo: not a browser problem, and I don't know what the complaints are about.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-27, 20:31

Moonchild wrote:Not needed, I have a VPN capable router. I tried it, set up VPN in my network settings in android (A 4.4 Lenovo tablet), connected through it, and Pale Moon was just happily purring along using VPN. No issues whatsoever.

Ergo: not a browser problem, and I don't know what the complaints are about.
Well if it takes that, i'll downgrade my s5 and test 4.4.4. As that is as low as i can go for my s5. I bet if u tested pm android on lollipop "5.0" with vpn it might give same results.

It seem pm for android is in an grey area atm.

Let me know if u like me to down grade my android.

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-27, 20:32

I really think lollipop needd morr testing with pm.

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-27, 20:40

Also this is what is going on,

I have my smartphone connected wifi, I will connect to vpn from privateinternetaccess vpn client on the smart phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en

I will then start PM latest android, type in address or a history page on home page.

It keeps giving circles.

I seen you are in fact connecting over vpn and not directly using a client on your phone or tab or simply it is because you are not on lollipop 5.0?.

Something is wrong and not correct or right.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-27, 23:32

If you are using a third-party VPN client that does not use the normal VPN networking in Android, and it needs to make browser-specific adjustments as a result, then that is a shortcoming of your used VPN client.

I am using the VPN setup as present in Android.
It works flawlessly.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-27, 23:58

I double-checked by using my VPN Unlimited account and downloading the app to set up a VPN through it: no problem whatsoever browsing through the VPN with Pale Moon, showing the VPN IP address when checked to verify.

So, there is ABSOLUTELY no problem with any VPN, either native or using a client, unless a specific client uses a non-standard way that requires direct browser manipulation which may not work on an "unknown" browser.

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-28, 01:52

Moonchild wrote:I double-checked by using my VPN Unlimited account and downloading the app to set up a VPN through it: no problem whatsoever browsing through the VPN with Pale Moon, showing the VPN IP address when checked to verify.

So, there is ABSOLUTELY no problem with any VPN, either native or using a client, unless a specific client uses a non-standard way that requires direct browser manipulation which may not work on an "unknown" browser.
Ty so much for testing.

I had tested as well. I disconnected from PIA vpn client. Installed openVPN
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nvpn&hl=en

launched the client, installed the .ovpn profile, installed the ca certificate.

same thing, connection timed out.

ionno. this just sux uhwell.

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-28, 01:56

Here is all I can do. Post these screenshots up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-28, 09:07

You have to be clear when reporting things: "timed out" is not the same as "server not found". The latter means your DNS resolution doesn't work, that doesn't necessarily mean that VPN doesn't work. You need to set your DNS servers in Android and that will probably fix your problem. OpenVPN Connect also apparently uses their own API instead of standard VPN connections -- I can't really provide extensive support for that and you should talk to the OpenVPN people.
As an aside, the OpenVPN setup apparently has a problem with using the proxy for your wifi/mobile connection (which won't work if you connect out through a VPN) if no DNS servers are set. This is in their FAQ.

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-28, 11:10

Moonchild wrote:You have to be clear when reporting things: "timed out" is not the same as "server not found". The latter means your DNS resolution doesn't work, that doesn't necessarily mean that VPN doesn't work. You need to set your DNS servers in Android and that will probably fix your problem. OpenVPN Connect also apparently uses their own API instead of standard VPN connections -- I can't really provide extensive support for that and you should talk to the OpenVPN people.
As an aside, the OpenVPN setup apparently has a problem with using the proxy for your wifi/mobile connection (which won't work if you connect out through a VPN) if no DNS servers are set. This is in their FAQ.
When I wrote the OP, I didn't let palemoon fully go into timed out, it actually sits reloading for quite some time, when I took that screenshot, was actually first time I let pm keep reloading for long period of time and i guess that was the result "timed out".

I just want to use PM on android with vpn. With no difficulties. Maybe someone will come with a how to to get pm to work with vpn on lollipop 5.0.

Until then, I'll check back every month or so.

This pisses me off badly.

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-28, 16:51

There is more than one review about vpn. Damnit this is bugging me. I might jump to 4.4.4 to do more testong. Wish i had a test s5 phone.

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-29, 17:46

Hey, Moonchild!

As what I suspected. Its lollipop 5.0 that is causing it for some reason.

Do you have a developer with 5.0 OS installed on their tablet, smart phone etc to redevelop this bug. As when I first posted the OP, "bug" popped in my head.

Explanation:
I downgraded my S5 down to 4.4.4 kitkat from 5.0 lollipop using odin.
I then installed PIA and OpenVPN connect and latest android pm.
Connected the vpn separately like one instance was pia the other was openvpn connect app. Opened Palemoon. BOOM, It connected to the web, I checked my IP and I had the vpn's IP addy.

So, where can we go from here?

Thanks.

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-29, 17:53

I am going back to 5.0 as 5.0 is way faster os than 4.4.2-4.4.4.

Hoping with two thumbs up it can be fixed.

Also, Moonchild, 5.1 is right around the corner bud. Asia has already been getting ota 5.1 updates and I am expecting 5.1 hopefully by the 1st.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-29, 18:37

Yeah do you really think I can buy a full range of android devices to test every possible contingency? No.
Hopefully 5.1 will fix this problem then.

In the meantime I'll see if I can find a solution for failing DNS issues over VPN. Will you be available to test try builds?

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2015-03-29, 19:35

Moonchild wrote:Yeah do you really think I can buy a full range of android devices to test every possible contingency? No.
Hopefully 5.1 will fix this problem then.

In the meantime I'll see if I can find a solution for failing DNS issues over VPN. Will you be available to test try builds?
Completely understandable, what I meant was if anyone you knew like one of the developers has a smart device that can run 5.0 tis all :).

Yes, I will help out as best as possible. And will be around.